Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

On 1/17/2020 at 12:35 PM, CircleSeven said:

The film studio will go as 20th Century Studios & Searchlight Pictures.

But the opening fanfare will stay the same.....

Those logos won’t be dramatically altered, just updated. The most notable change is that the word “Fox” has been removed from the logo marks. Otherwise, the signature elements — swirling klieg lights, monolith, triumphal fanfare — will remain the same.

20th-century-studios-logo-unveiled-in-ne

This was captured from a TV spot of their new film The Call of the Wild.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, 20th Century Studios updated its website and its social media profile pic. I hope 20th would change its URL from foxmovies.com to 20CS.com. Fingers crossed. Attached is what 20th's on-screen logo would look like at the end of its logo sequence. Expect that new logo to be byline-free.

5e3cab9f7096a.jpg

5 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Disney is very careful about how they manage their brand, and they don’t want to just stick “Disney“ everywhere.

They don't even put it in front of the Star Wars or Marvel films, despite their merchandising and marketing for those properties using the Disney brand.

4 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

They don't even put it in front of the Star Wars or Marvel films, despite their merchandising and marketing for those properties using the Disney brand.

Related note - on Disney+, they put the Searchlights and Fanfare back in Episodes I-VI. (It never left Episode IV). It's certainly weird seeing the first CGI Searchlights with no byline (News Corp OR Disney).

Not sure if this rebrand was even worth the effort or the money. Sure, there's "Fox News" but do they think that the public will start calling them "Twentieth Century Studios" now?  I speculate that most people will still call them "Fox"  for a very long time. 

I wonder what Disney plans to do internationally...they actually own channels with the Fox branding around the globe (Fox, Fox Sports, Fox Life, etc). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Direct-to-Consumer_%26_International Will the Fox entertainment networks be rebranded ABC or Star? I can see them merging Fox Sports with ESPN...

15 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Not sure if this rebrand was even worth the effort or the money. Sure, there's "Fox News" but do they think that the public will start calling them "Twentieth Century Studios" now?  I speculate that most people will still call them "Fox"  for a very long time. 

I wonder what Disney plans to do internationally...they actually own channels with the Fox branding around the globe (Fox, Fox Sports, Fox Life, etc). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Direct-to-Consumer_%26_International Will the Fox entertainment networks be rebranded ABC or Star? I can see them merging Fox Sports with ESPN...

I have a good feeling FX, FXX, and FXM will be renamed in the near future.

6 hours ago, Northerner said:

I read on Variety they haven't figured out what to rename the 20th television studios as.

I'm was caught off guard when I saw the 20th Century Studios on a commercial the other day.  Makes me wonder where I've been!

Disney would be better off keeping the "20th Television" name for syndication.

8 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

FX for sure will remain the same but I'm curious about actual networks titled "Fox" in its branding, Disney now owns a bunch of these Fox networks around the world from Asia to Europe to Latin America.  I'm pretty sure that these would not be renamed "20th Century TV Network". 

9 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Honestly, DX/DXX/DXM would be a pretty hilarious middle finger to the existing brand.

Doubt it's necessary though. I don't think enough cable TV watchers associate those particular cable nets directly with FOX.

10 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

1) Not sure if this rebrand was even worth the effort or the money. Sure, there's "Fox News" but do they think that the public will start calling them "Twentieth Century Studios" now? 

2) I speculate that most people will still call them "Fox"  for a very long time. 

1) I'd think so. I would call it by that name myself; sometimes "Twentieth Century" to compensate.

2) Personally I've never done it, and I concur some won't either. Others do it out of defiance no doubt. And yet they'll confuse it with the TV network.

15 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

FX Networks (especially FX itself) are way too recognizable as cable network brands to be changed. If it happens, I expect a backlash.

1 hour ago, DoubleDare said:

Searchlight Pictures just sounds and looks empty now.

It's seriously a very petty rebranding...sometimes you have to just leave a legacy branding alone.  For example,  CBS stands for Columbia Phonographic Broadcasting System, even with the multiple owners the network has had over the years, they still kept the name in tact. You're not going to see Viacom rename it VBS just because of their ownership to consolidate brands, you keep it just because the public has been aware of the brand for so long.  Who knows really, an image consulting agency must have had told Disney that Fox News is too toxic to be associated with by name and they probably spent so much money on the study. 

13 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

It's seriously a very petty rebranding...sometimes you have to just leave a legacy branding alone.  For example,  CBS stands for Columbia Phonographic Broadcasting System, even with the multiple owners the network has had over the years, they still kept the name in tact. You're not going to see Viacom rename it VBS just because of their ownership to consolidate brands, you keep it just because the public has been aware of the brand for so long.  Who knows really, an image consulting agency must have had told Disney that Fox News is too toxic to be associated with by name and they probably spent so much money on the study. 

I don't think the name change is petty; in fact, it feels like a straightforward and sensible change.

Now, if it had been renamed to "Disney Searchlight Pictures", that would be petty.

18 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

I wonder what Disney plans to do internationally...they actually own channels with the Fox branding around the globe (Fox, Fox Sports, Fox Life, etc)

Those will be renamed in the short term - nobody knows to what - because, per the purchase agreement, Fox Corp. is licensing the trademarks to Disney on a temporary basis for those entities, unlike a perpetual basis for the film entities (which is still relevant, considering the vast back catalog both Twentieth and Searchlight have combined).

• 5 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 12:35 PM, CircleSeven said:

Follow up. Disney is beginning to phase out the "Fox" name in some of the 21CF assets.

......They're also in a process of renaming the TV arm as well.

The TV studios are renamed.

• 20th Century Fox Television > 20th Television
  • Fox 21 Studios > Touchstone Television
  • ABC Studios & ABC Signature Studios > ABC Signature

Archived