Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

So the Disney/Fox deal is done? Just as I feared. The Mouse House "family-friendly" image and Fox "edgier" image in terms of TV shows and movies is probably not going to mesh well, let's hope I'm wrong about my statement....

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Disney said anything about how they're going to rebrand all of the Fox properties? I assume they'll scrub the Fox name out of all of them as fast as they can. "20th Century Pictures" has a nice ring to it.

4 minutes ago, C Block said:

Has Disney said anything about how they're going to rebrand all of the Fox properties? I assume they'll scrub the Fox name out of all of them as fast as they can. "20th Century Pictures" has a nice ring to it.

20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are staying. Disney is licensing the trademarks from Fox Corp., and Disney is taking ownership of the FX brand. The branding of the merged 20th/ABC television studio is uncertain. 

1 hour ago, lugnuts6 said:

Reason I asked is, if memory serves me correctly, Chris Illitch was contemplating starting up his own sports network for the red wings /tigers when the FSDetroit contract expires in 2021

But with Gores as a partner with Liberty media in a bid for the 21 former fox sports regional nets . that plan could be somewhat moot yes??

It might be somewhat a moot point but, the Illitch's still might pull a Boston with what the Bruins and the Red Sox did launched NESN. and what's currently known as Fox Sports Detroit would become the Midwest's version of NBC Sports Boston (which has exclusive rights to the NBA's Boston Celtics and MLS' New England Revolution) 

It just depends on what the Illitch Family decides to do

41 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are staying. Disney is licensing the trademarks from Fox Corp., and Disney is taking ownership of the FX brand. The branding of the merged 20th/ABC television studio is uncertain. 

Disney licensing the trademarks from Fox Corp., eh? At first, I thought on that. Then I thought it was the other way around.

54 minutes ago, DonDonP1 said:

Disney licensing the trademarks from Fox Corp., eh? At first, I thought on that. Then I thought it was the other way around.

The relevant language from the Fox Corp. registration of securities:

Intellectual Property License Agreements

Upon completion of the separation, FOX will own all “FOX” brands and related trademarks. Pursuant to the terms of the combination merger agreement, FOX will enter into the following agreements to license the use of certain intellectual property by RemainCo:

a global, exclusive, perpetual royalty-free license to certain trademarks that will be owned by FOX after completion of the separation, including “Twentieth Century Fox” and “Twentieth Century Fox Television,” certain derivatives thereof and certain other trademarks primarily relating to 21CF’s film business as conducted as of the date of the separation;

an 18-month nonexclusive, royalty-free license within the U.S. to permit RemainCo regional sports networks, which we refer to as RSNs, to use the “FOX” trademark in a manner consistent with current usage; and

a five-year nonexclusive, royalty-free license outside of the U.S. for the use of the “FOX” trademark by RemainCo international channels and networks in a manner consistent with current usage.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1754301/000119312519003906/d624266dex991.htm

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

The updated header of the Disney homepage is a sight to behold. Ay caramba!

2019-03-19_(3).thumb.png.9af2f334f4335022716ce9e29144f87e.png

A very interesting group/selection. I wonder how often they will change this up?

On 3/19/2019 at 10:20 PM, CRThell said:

Disney's website has been updated to reflect their ownership of the Fox assets:

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/about/#our-businesses

It's really weird seeing FX grouped in with Disney Channel.

The FX thing i believe it was because FOX formally owned a network in the late 90s that Disney now owns, Freeform Which used to be called Fox Family and FOX Sports would come on both of them. 

9 minutes ago, Darius22 said:

The FX thing i believe it was because FOX formally owned a network in the late 90s that Disney now owns, Freeform Which used to be called Fox Family and FOX Sports would come on both of them. 

It is because FX and Disney Channel are both cable networks now owned by The Walt Disney Company. It's that simple. If you started seeing FX stuff at Disney.com that would be weird, but the corporate website has a different audience.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:23 AM, 24994J said:

The updated header of the Disney homepage is a sight to behold. Ay caramba!

2019-03-19_(3).thumb.png.9af2f334f4335022716ce9e29144f87e.png

Steamboat Willie enters the public domain in 2023. And the copyrights for the Silly Symphonies start to lapse in 2024.

If you wanted to know why Disney is doing this, it’s because they’re going to lose full control of the Mouse very soon. Enter Marvel, Lucasfilm and 21CF.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:09 PM, detroiter313 said:

So the Disney/Fox deal is done? Just as I feared. The Mouse House "family-friendly" image and Fox "edgier" image in terms of TV shows and movies is probably not going to mesh well, let's hope I'm wrong about my statement....

looking forward to "always sunny in philadelphialand" coming to the parks real soon...

i'll be first in line for the frank reynolds experience ride...

I'm surprised nobody addressed the fact that Fox shareholders were set to receive 25% of the new Disney. Murdoch owned 40% of Fox, which works out to roughly 10% of Disney.

Rupert Murdoch Disney's largest shareholder?

However, 52% of Fox shareholders elected to receive cash. I wonder how much the Murdochs cashed out.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:33 PM, AmericanErrorist said:

Well, both 20th Century Fox Television and ABC Studios are parts of Disney Television Studios.

• 9 months later...

Follow up. Disney is beginning to phase out the "Fox" name in some of the 21CF assets.

The film studio will go as 20th Century Studios & Searchlight Pictures. They're also in a process of renaming the TV arm as well.

But the opening fanfare will stay the same.....

Those logos won’t be dramatically altered, just updated. The most notable change is that the word “Fox” has been removed from the logo marks. Otherwise, the signature elements — swirling klieg lights, monolith, triumphal fanfare — will remain the same.

29 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Follow up. Disney is beginning to phase out the "Fox" name in some of the 21CF assets.

The film studio will go as 20th Century Studios & Searchlight Pictures.

This is unsurprising to me, because at some point Disney would drop the Fox name on the companies the former now owns - mostly to distinguish them from New Fox. At least literally everything else is staying - that's a smart move and a great thing.

32 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

They're also in a process of renaming the TV arm as well.

Imma guess... 20th (Century) Television?

Disney owns the FX trademarks. I doubt they’ll drop that brand.

Half of 20th Century Fox was 20th Century Pictures, from which the searchlight tower logo, the fanfare, and Darryl F. Zanuck were carried over in the first place. So this is almost a full-circle rebrand!

13 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Disney owns the FX trademarks. I doubt they’ll drop that brand.

Half of 20th Century Fox was 20th Century Pictures, from which the searchlight tower logo, the fanfare, and Darryl F. Zanuck were carried over in the first place. So this is almost a full-circle rebrand!

I believe that Disney would only rebrand FX if they plan on placing sports there just like Fox dId bank in the day when they had MLB and some College Football.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:35 AM, CircleSeven said:

The film studio will go as 20th Century Studios & Searchlight Pictures. They're also in a process of renaming the TV arm as well.

But the opening fanfare will stay the same.....

I am totally cool with the 20th Century Studios name. Yet, I wish Disney would have either merge 20th and the currently-inactive Touchstone Pictures into the new 20th Century Touchstone label or just fold Touchstone into 20th by integrating Touchstone's library into 20th's.

20th Century Fox is one of the most iconic brands in the history of cinema, whereas Touchstone is basically a shorthand for mediocrity. I can’t imagine why Disney would want to bring it back in any capacity, other than to keep the trademarks active.

Archived