Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

Just now, channel2 said:

CBS doesn't seem to have the stomach for such a deal, and Disney and Comcast hate each other.

3 minutes ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

Funny, nobody talked about NBC or CBS in talks of acquiring FSN regional networks.

Regarding NBC/Comcast:

Comcast dropped out of the bidding in November because the Justice Department flat out told Comcast that they couldn't buy any channels where they have the most concentration in (and Comcast has a lot of concentration in Cable) so it's not that Disney and Comcast don't like each other its just that the DOJ would reject any sale of the RSNs involving Comcast.

As for CBS, if it wasn't for the whole scandal that forced Moonves out (which is a totally separate topic) and the whole legal fight to prevent the re-merger with Viacom (again, separate topic for another thread) I'd say they might have a legitimate shot at buying some if not, all of the FSNs (I'd say CBS would've been more likely to get the FSNs than Sinclair)

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

That'd be one possibility but we'll have a much better idea on what will happen to the FSNs no later than early February (even though Disney wants to have that buyer identified by the end of February.

Keep in mind the only bidder right now for all or some of the 22 FSNs is Sinclair (in a joint bid with CVC) so, right now the ball is at the 10-yard line and its 1st & Goal

Oh, right, of course. Fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, DonDonP1 said:

Oh, right, of course. Fingers crossed.

And then again even Sinclair might also drop out too if the funding from CVC isn't there (and I might add they did drop out in a separate running to acquire those 22 RSNs outright so they might not come through as what Sinclair is counting on at this point) Anything is possible though

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Something of interest to note, Liberty Media once owned 3 former Fox Sports Networks that are part of the AT&T Sports Networks family (2 are branded as AT&T SportsNet the other is branded as Root Sports). Prior to that, they owned several channels that were once branded under the Prime Sports name

4 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Something of interest to note, Liberty Media once owned 3 former Fox Sports Networks that are part of the AT&T Sports Networks family (2 are branded as AT&T SportsNet the other is branded as Root Sports). Prior to that, they owned several channels that were once branded under the Prime Sports name

I remember when it was Prime Sports Pass Sports aired the Prime Sports Highlight show at 10PMor when Tigers, Pistons, Redwings games didn't run over or no west coast trips. Wonder if Liberty would bring back the Prime Sports name? 

A new corporate website is up. Understandably, it looks like the new company is doing away with the whole searchlight motif.

https://www.foxcorporation.com/

Should be interesting to see what the new Fox Corporation does. It seemed like good old Rupert was maybe winding down his empire, but with $80+ billion in cash on hand, that's a lot of money to spend on what the Murdochs are calling a growth-oriented company.

19 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I remember when it was Prime Sports Pass Sports aired the Prime Sports Highlight show at 10PMor when Tigers, Pistons, Redwings games didn't run over or no west coast trips. Wonder if Liberty would bring back the Prime Sports name? 

They could do that considering 2 of the FSNs still carry references to the Prime Network era (Prime Ticker and what used to be known as the Sunshine Network, later became Sun Sports and now today known as Fox Sports Sun) but do keep in mind that just because two of the former Prime networks still have references to the Prime network doesn't mean that Liberty Media will bring The Prime Network Name Back.

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

They could do that considering 2 of the FSNs still carry references to the Prime Network era (Prime Ticker and what used to be known as the Sunshine Network, later became Sun Sports and now today known as Fox Sports Sun) but do keep in mind that just because two of the former Prime networks still have references to the Prime network doesn't mean that Liberty Media will bring The Prime Network Name Back.

Ok,@oknewsguy...

Maybe they could also bring back the original mic flags from 1985.

primeticket1985micflag.thumb.jpg.aa3ecd8d3b87412c433bc1fa7c98ac21.jpg

12 hours ago, Eat News said:

Ok,@oknewsguy...

Maybe they could also bring back the original mic flags from 1985.

primeticket1985micflag.thumb.jpg.aa3ecd8d3b87412c433bc1fa7c98ac21.jpg

This is something Liberty might consider but they probably won't do it. It'd be awesome if they did though.

Meanwhile, Bloomberg reported the other day that Twins Owner Jim Pohlad has joined the Liberty-Platinum bid and now the New York Post has reported via its sources, that the owners of the Arizona Diamondbacks, Milwaukee Brewers, and Cleveland Browns might join the Liberty-Platinum bid.

Away from the RSNs, it's one down, one to go in terms of Mexican regulatory approvals. The antitrust regulator approved the Disney-Fox merger on January 31 after the combined company announced it would sell its film distributor to Sony. The remaining approval would come from the IFT (equivalent to the FCC), which would be responsible for analyzing the impact on cable channels.

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

Away from the RSNs, it's one down, one to go in terms of Mexican regulatory approvals. The antitrust regulator approved the Disney-Fox merger on January 31 after the combined company announced it would sell its film distributor to Sony. The remaining approval would come from the IFT (equivalent to the FCC), which would be responsible for analyzing the impact on cable channels.

I would assume this would only leave Brazil as the only country left that hasn't approved Disney-Fox is that accurate?

On 2/7/2019 at 1:05 PM, oknewsguy said:

I would assume this would only leave Brazil as the only country left that hasn't approved Disney-Fox is that accurate?

Did Uganda and Bottswanna approve the deal yet?

Did anyone even bother to ask those countries how they felt?

What is keeping the King or Dictator of Sierra Leon or Belgum Congo from putting the brakes on the whole deal?

Phone call to Disney Switchboard:

"I am King of Swaziland...I must speak to the  lawyers at once about payment to our country."

I bet the Disney and FOX folks would shit a giant brick for about 12 hours... until they figured out it was a prank.

Or...

The morons might just wire a few million dollars to the "leaders"... just to shut them up.

17 hours ago, Eat News said:

Did Uganda and Bottswanna approve the deal yet?

Did anyone even bother to ask those countries how they felt?

What is keeping the King or Dictator of Sierra Leon or Belgum Congo from putting the brakes on the whole deal?

Phone call to Disney Switchboard:

"I am King of Swaziland...I must speak to the  lawyers at once about payment to our country."

I bet the Disney and FOX folks would shit a giant brick for about 12 hours... until they figured out it was a prank.

Or...

The morons might just wire a few million dollars to "leaders" just to shut them up.

Ok

Sorry I guess I really drifted off-topic tonight.

Uhhhh.... Last time I checked neither Disney or Fox had to get approval from either Uganda or Botswana, besides that neither company has any presence in either country

7 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Uhhhh.... Last time I checked neither Disney or Fox had to get approval from either Uganda or Botswana, besides that neither company has any presence in either country

The major film studios do not do business in countries where average discretionary income isn't high enough to support going to movies, and most of sub-Saharan Africa is below that level. Most imported programming is likewise delivered to the continent from satellite TV stations based in South Africa.

11 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

The major film studios do not do business in countries where average discretionary income isn't high enough to support going to movies, and most of sub-Saharan Africa is below that level. Most imported programming is likewise delivered to the continent from satellite TV stations based in South Africa.

Of course and they shouldn't do business with those types of countries

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Of course and they shouldn't do business with those types of countries

What about Venezuela?   Are they on that list?

Seems Disney does quite a bit of business there.

Hope they got approval in that country.

2 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

Looks like they are pretty busy in Botswana and Sub-Saharan Africa too.

https://disneyprogramsblog.com/tag/botswana/

My point is that Disney and FOX will pay-off many other leaders , rulers, dictators kings, queens etc...and that's just here in the USA.  Everyone worldwide  will have their hands out.   "Donations" and Bribes will be paid  to  plenty of 3rd world countries... just for the privilege of doing business there.

59 minutes ago, Eat News said:

What about Venezuela?   Are they on that list?

Seems Disney does quite a bit of business there.

Hope they got approval in that country.

Fox left there very recently (the country's economic crisis has been a very sudden development tied to the rapid drop in oil prices).

So there is an interesting conflict of interest pertaining to the remaining Mexican approval: the two companies are being represented by a law firm that employs a former IFT commissioner—who nominated the current head of the agency's antitrust/competition bureau.

Additionally, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador weighed in and said he'd like to see a forced sale of one of ESPN or Fox Sports. (Unlike in the US, the merged Disney-Fox proposed keeping both bouquets of sports channels in Latin America.) The two combine to hold 78.3 percent of audience share in cable/satellite sports.

The matter should go before the IFT in one of its meetings in the next few days.

In the latest edition of "As The RSNs Turns" Angels owner Arte Moreno has thrown his hat into the ring. Fox Business is reporting that Moreno is looking at acquiring Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket, Fox Sports San Diego, Arizona, and one other FSN. Sources also say he has put in a bid for $2 billion dollars for those 4 FSNs

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

A silly throwaway gag, but the acquisition is not going unnoticed by one of Fox's highest-profile properties, and it's kinda funny for those of us in the know...

1681737943_bandicam2019-02-1200-36-28-809.thumb.png.ed10d4436a438d13e8bfdc86611589e4.png

Who made this picture? One of the anti-Disney employees that are currently working at Fox?

Archived