Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

It doesn't, but there are really only three options for those RSNs: AT&T, the teams, and...Comcast.

I wonder if CBS would want to get into the RSN game, at the very least in markets where they already have an O&O.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amazon...Apple...Google....

Don't rule anything or anyone out.

I can't see any of those companies (and I suppose you could throw in Facebook too) wanting to break into traditional media, and I think Congress--even in this climate--would have a real problem with big tech taking those rights digital-only (a near certainty if that happens.)

It'd be fine for the coasts, but the flyover states still are not equipped for even decent 720p streaming in some areas.

I think no matter what happens with the RSNs, no one company is going to be able to acquire all 22 of the FSNs, it's gonna have to be split up.

Having said that I think teams like the Yankees and the San Diego Padres are definitely the 2 teams that'll probably acquire Fox's stakes in the YES Network and Fox Sports San Diego respectively, I would keep an eye on these following teams that could end up starting their own RSNs:

San Antonio Spurs (NBA)

Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)

New Orleans Pelicans (NBA)

Kansas City Royals (MLB)

Cincinnati Reds (MLB)

Indiana Pacers (NBA)

That's 8 teams that currently have games seen on their respective Fox Sports Networks that could potentially star or turn into their own RSNs and there could be more than that, just have to wait and see what happens

Spinning off the Fox RSNs make total sense on Disney's behalf. If it weren't for the movie studio conglomerate acting like a literal ATM (especially with Marvel and LucasFilm) Disney would be in major pain with ESPN's massive PBP contracts for the NBA and NFL that are an increasing liability thanks to cord-cutting and the overall transition to digital.

Why would Disney want to take on even more of a liability with loads and loads of regional sports rights?

I think no matter what happens with the RSNs, no one company is going to be able to acquire all 22 of the FSNs, it's gonna have to be split up.

Having said that I think teams like the Yankees and the San Diego Padres are definitely the 2 teams that'll probably acquire Fox's stakes in the YES Network and Fox Sports San Diego respectively, I would keep an eye on these following teams that could end up starting their own RSNs:

San Antonio Spurs (NBA)

Oklahoma City Thunder (NBA)

New Orleans Pelicans (NBA)

Kansas City Royals (MLB)

Cincinnati Reds (MLB)

Indiana Pacers (NBA)

That's 8 teams that currently have games seen on their respective Fox Sports Networks that could potentially star or turn into their own RSNs and there could be more than that, just have to wait and see what happens

Fox SportsTime Ohio actually began under the ownership of the Cleveland Indians - WKYC and Gannett provided operational/management support from day one. The Indians sold STO to Fox in 2012 (who merged it into an RSN duop with Fox Sports Ohio), and I doubt that STO ever really made much of a profit for the team.

Just because the Yankees and Dodgers can own/run an RSN doesn't mean a smaller market team like the Cincinnati Reds, or any other team, should.

Fox SportsTime Ohio actually began under the ownership of the Cleveland Indians - WKYC and Gannett provided operational/management support from day one. The Indians sold STO to Fox in 2012 (who merged it into an RSN duop with Fox Sports Ohio), and I doubt that STO ever really made much of a profit for the team.

Just because the Yankees and Dodgers can own/run an RSN doesn't mean a smaller market team like the Cincinnati Reds, or any other team, should.

Not saying they should follow the larger market teams but this is up to the teams and they have plenty of options on how they want to do it

Aren't the Thunder and Royals owned by pennypinchers?

As for big market franchises, the Cubs have been looking into an RSN of their own for a while, haven't they?

The Royals did had their own RSN for about 5 seasons before they reached that 10 year deal with Fox Sports Midwest and created Fox Sports Kansas City

As a Thunder fan who's supported the team through the years where they had a championship-caliber team to losing that name I shall not say here, Clay Bennett is not as big of a pennypincher owner as some people believe, he's done a lot of good things in the 10 years he's been the owner of the Thunder, so if he wants to start an RSN that's dedicated to the Thunder, go for it. It's in his hands on how he wants to handle the RSN situation

I thought that the RSNs were one of the main reasons Disney was buying them, they are great assets to have.

Apparently, the DOJ didn't like the fact that Disney would charge consumers even more money to pay for all of the ESPN channels plus all 22 Fox Regional Networks

This is a great opportunity for NBC to take advantage of the RSNs, but AT&T-SN is also in play.

I can see AT&T acquiring Fox Sports Southwest/Oklahoma/New Orleans, to join them up with the existing one in Houston (Which could be renamed AT&T Sportsnet Houston)

Fox Sports Florida and Fox Sports Sun could be sold to AT&T and either Comcast or Charter, respectively.

I can see AT&T acquiring Fox Sports Southwest/Oklahoma/New Orleans, to join them up with the existing one in Houston (Which could be renamed AT&T Sportsnet Houston)

Fox Sports Florida and Fox Sports Sun could be sold to AT&T and either Comcast or Charter, respectively.

This is something I've been predicting for awhile with regards to AT&T buying Fox Sports Southwest/Oklahoma/New Orleans, not only that but also Fox Sports Midwest/Kansas City/Indiana and Fox Sports South/Southeast/Tennessee/Carolinas (although AT&T may only just get Fox Sports Southwest, Midwest and their subfeeds)

As for Fox Sports Sun/Florida, I'm sending that to NBC

I'll go ahead and start a thread about the speculation of the RSNs since we're speculating about it

The Royals did had their own RSN for about 5 seasons before they reached that 10 year deal with Fox Sports Midwest and created Fox Sports Kansas City

As a Thunder fan who's supported the team through the years where they had a championship-caliber team to losing that name I shall not say here, Clay Bennett is not as big of a pennypincher owner as some people believe, he's done a lot of good things in the 10 years he's been the owner of the Thunder, so if he wants to start an RSN that's dedicated to the Thunder, go for it. It's in his hands on how he wants to handle the RSN situation

If Bennett somehow started a Thunder channel what would he fill the rest of the broadcast day with? Would he be open to going over-the-top with the channel?

Spinning off the Fox RSNs make total sense on Disney's behalf. If it weren't for the movie studio conglomerate acting like a literal ATM (especially with Marvel and LucasFilm) Disney would be in major pain with ESPN's massive PBP contracts for the NBA and NFL that are an increasing liability thanks to cord-cutting and the overall transition to digital.

Why would Disney want to take on even more of a liability with loads and loads of regional sports rights?

Aren't the parks perennial money-printers too? I feel like Disney has staked the future of its movie division on its franchise-producing silos a bit too much (which is why they want 20th Century Fox), because if things average out and the movie studios go through some lean years...they'd be largely the parks and ESPN.

I can see that as well. I can also see either AT&T or Comcast NBCUniversal acquiring Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket.

Spinning off the RSNs to New Fox would consolidate some rights and give a little more substance to them...not to mention, soften the "identity crisis" that would have happened with "Fox" in someone else's hands (or a rebrand....)

Disney is in over their head with ESPN already and any more sports would be a serious antitrust concern. Cable viewers are already holding the bag, any more would push ESPN and all it's baggage into "premium channel" territory with the ever-growing cost of sports on TV.

Comcast and CBS would be possibilities too, and despite the concerns of AT&T getting them, they have very little in terms of sports, aside from TBS, TNT and HBO.

Spinning off the RSNs to New Fox would consolidate some rights and give a little more substance to them...not to mention, soften the "identity crisis" that would have happened with "Fox" in someone else's hands (or a rebrand....)

Disney is in over their head with ESPN already and any more sports would be a serious antitrust concern. Cable viewers are already holding the bag, any more would push ESPN and all it's baggage into "premium channel" territory with the ever-growing cost of sports on TV.

Comcast and CBS would be possibilities too, and despite the concerns of AT&T getting them, they have very little in terms of sports, aside from TBS, TNT and HBO.

In an article from Awful Announcing they mentioned that any RSN deal involving AT&T could result in the Justice Department appealing the AT&T-Time Warner case, I call that part bogus. If AT&T wants some of these RSNs let'em have it, I'm pretty sure AT&T has interest in places where they have headquarters in (Fox Sports Southwest, Midwest, and South/Southeast comes to mind)

Comcast, Charter and CBS would probably get whatever AT&T doesn't get and besides that, while having the FSNs under New Fox's wing make sense however, the Murdoch's have made it clear they want no part of the FSNs, they will want it to go to either AT&T, Charter, Comcast, CBS, Liberty Media or the teams

And to answer channel2's question about whether Bennett would be open to going Over-The-Top with a Thunder RSN channel, I think he would be, I see no reason why he can't, as for what programming could air on that channel during the off-season look at the Lakers RSN for clues as to what kind of programming would air on a Thunder RSN during the off-season

I think Comcast buys Fox Sports Detroit will be NBC Sports Detroit since Comcast is the biggest cable company in Michigan Charter Spectrum is number 2 don't see them buying Fox Sports Detroit as they aren't in the Detroit area. Just as along as AT&T doesn't buy Fox Sports Detroit as they are way to big and shouldn't have gotten Warner Media there as big like in the 1980's level which needs to be disband.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived