Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

Fox also has DVD and Blu-ray rights to Return of the Jedi through to Revenge of the Sith in a contract that will expire in some years' time.

20th holds physical home media distribution rights for The Empire Strikes Back as well; prior to the news on the Disney-21CF deal, 20th would hold all permanent distribution rights--including digital and physical home media distribution rights for A New Hope with all physical distribution rights for the five subsequential movies being transfered to Disney by May 2020. Hopefully, Disney would get all distribution rights for all six movies, should the Disney-21CF deal go through. (My apologies for the repetition...again.) May the Force be with Disney and 21CF.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fox also has DVD and Blu-ray rights to Return of the Jedi through to Revenge of the Sith in a contract that will expire in some years' time.

who has the rights to the Star Wars Holiday Special if they ever decide on an official release? did Lucas smash the master copies with hammer like he'd like to do with every bootleg copy?

I thought they had Empire, Return, and the prequel trilogy's distribution rights through May 2020.

I thought they had Empire, Return, and the prequel trilogy's distribution rights through May 2020.

Disney has streaming and television rights to those movies-- the broadcasts of those films begin with the Lucasfilm logo set to a reused piece of fanfare from one of John Williams's scores.

I did forget about Empire, though.

who has the rights to the Star Wars Holiday Special if they ever decide on an official release? did Lucas smash the master copies with hammer like he'd like to do with every bootleg copy?

Since it was never re-licensed, Disney probably has the rights to that locked down.

Fox also has DVD and Blu-ray rights to The Empire Strikes Back through to Revenge of the Sith in a contract that will expire in some years' time.

Huh. I thought it was only the first movie.

The only legal copy belonged to Carrie Fisher, who used it to drive guests out of her house.

Since it was never re-licensed, Disney probably has the rights to that locked down.

Likewise, Marvel now has the open opportunity to do a (better) Howard the Duck movie*** if they wanted, especially with little worries of Disney coming in and complaining about his resemblance to a certain other pantsless duck**. Howard the Duck and the Star Wars Holiday Special were two obvious high-profile failures for George Lucas he may never live down.

**The thought of Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool being taken in as MCU canon post-Fox purchase and paired with a Seth Green-voiced Howard... please Disney-Marvel, make that happen.

***Believe it or not, that infamous 1985 box office bomb was Marvel's first official motion picture, albeit a collaboration with Universal-MCA.

Likewise, Marvel now has the open opportunity to do a (better) Howard the Duck movie*** if they wanted, especially with little worries of Disney coming in and complaining about his resemblance to a certain other pantsless duck**. Howard the Duck and the Star Wars Holiday Special were two obvious high-profile failures for George Lucas he may never live down.

**The thought of Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool being taken in as MCU canon post-Fox purchase and paired with a Seth Green-voiced Howard... please Disney-Marvel, make that happen.

***Believe it or not, that infamous 1985 box office bomb was Marvel's first official motion picture, albeit a collaboration with Universal-MCA.

Next time you and the Toons may want to try a Stativa and not an Indica while watching HTD. It helps.

Sorry but I can't help you on the Star Wars thing.

If Marvel decides that a Howard the Duck movie is somehow more important than bringing the Fantastic Four into the MCU, it'll kill a lot of goodwill fans have for the company.

If Marvel decides that a Howard the Duck movie is somehow more important than bringing the Fantastic Four into the MCU, it'll kill a lot of goodwill fans have for the company.

Judging by the price tag for 20CF, Disney's already made their choice on that matter.

Didn't Fox purposefully reboot the Fantastic Four just so Disney-Marvel couldn't get the rights back? (And that reboot was beyond dreadful.)

Didn't Fox purposefully reboot the Fantastic Four just so Disney-Marvel couldn't get the rights back? (And that reboot was beyond dreadful.)

Yeah, they had to have a movie in active development after a certain amount of time or they'd lose the rights. I'm hoping that the deal is structured so that Disney/Marvel can regain the FF rights. It's basically the lowest-hanging fruit of the deal.

Yeah, they had to have a movie in active development after a certain amount of time or they'd lose the rights. I'm hoping that the deal is structured so that Disney/Marvel can regain the FF rights. It's basically the lowest-hanging fruit of the deal.

Marvel signed the original FF film deal with Constantin Film and not Fox, so much of it depends on Constantin Film's deal with Fox.

I'm for a Howard the Duck movie, in part out of genuine interest and in part because the internet will explode.

I don't know if the Marvel Studios trappings would help or hurt though.

At any rate, the disproportionate focus on the MCU that a lot of people have over this deal concerns me greatly. One major studio disappearing down the maw of another, and thousands of job losses, is all worth it so that these superhero movies can be a tad more faithful to their source material.

At any rate, the disproportionate focus on the MCU that a lot of people have over this deal concerns me greatly. One major studio disappearing down the maw of another, and thousands of job losses, is all worth it so that these superhero movies can be a tad more faithful to their source material.

Just because a superhero film doesn't follow its source material to the letter doesn't mean the movie will be bad (creatively). Nor is its success (creatively) guaranteed if it is faithful to said source material. At the end of the day, it's all subjective. Whatever the outcome, I would rather people take some risks rather than play it safe.

As far as the MCU is concerned, while it would be cool to see the X-Men and Iron, Cap, Thor, etc.. share the same screen, that doesn't mean it should happen. My concern about this deal is what Disney could do to meddle with what's not broken (Deadpool, FX's Atlanta, etc..). They don't strike me as a company that will leave things alone.

I doubt Marvel movie rights are/were the sole reason why Disney is buying 20CF, but then again, this is the same company that sold off Al Michaels' contract to NBCUni in exchange for the IP of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. So who knows.

I was being sarcastic with the "all worth it" bit.

I have my doubts about it being the sole reason for Disney to buy TCF. I meant the disproportionate focus from the public at large.

Disney hasn't done too much at Pixar or Marvel or Lucasfilm since taking over, have they? Of course, TCF Film & TV, and the accompanying cable channels, are a whole bigger fish than any of those...Iger is gonna have to do way more to integrate those than the other, smaller entities.

I don't think Disney or Comcast should acquire Fox. It would give either of them a disproportionate share of the film and television distribution (on account of the two companies owning two of the major film and TV studios) and cable television markets; I'd prefer the assets Murdoch is selling remaining under the Murdoch's control or being acquired by an independent buyer(s) who could bankroll such an acquisition.

The latter would make the most sense, it's just a matter who would be willing to fork over the mid-eleven figures in such a scenario to acquire 20th Century Fox, the Fox Sports Networks, National Geographic Channels and FX Networks as a package, and if so whether it would require multiple investor groups to fund it.

I don't think Disney or Comcast should acquire Fox. It would give either of them a disproportionate share of the film and television distribution (on account of the two companies owning two of the major film and TV studios) and cable television markets; I'd prefer the assets Murdoch is selling remaining under the Murdoch's control or being acquired by an independent buyer(s) who could bankroll such an acquisition.

The latter would make the most sense, it's just a matter who would be willing to fork over the mid-eleven figures in such a scenario to acquire 20th Century Fox, the Fox Sports Networks, National Geographic Channels and FX Networks as a package, and if so whether it would require multiple investor groups to fund it.

THIS.

Archived