Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

NBC and CBS had no desire to overpay for the TNF franchise. Bad matchups. Lower ratings. Good luck with it, Fox, who are more desperate for ratings and eyeballs in primetime than the big 3.

This deal reminds me of Fox’s disastrous deal with the NHL that both parties couldn’t wait to end.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NBC and CBS had no desire to overpay for the TNF franchise. Bad matchups. Lower ratings. Good luck with it, Fox, who are more desperate for ratings and eyeballs in primetime than the big 3.

I don't mind the scheduling tho. Takes out a night of possible underwhelming projects to fail. We'll see how it plays out, despite its well documented struggles. Network's been struggling since Idol's early dominance. 'New Fox' is supposed to be live sports + breaking news, this fits in. I'd like to see FOX amp'd up more on sports saturday nights. Along with college f'ball in fall + baseball in summer, it could be college basketball + ufc or Premier Boxing in winter/spring, rather than repeats. Hell, sprinkle in Nascar if needed.

This deal reminds me of Fox’s disastrous deal with the NHL that both parties couldn’t wait to end.

Wait was that a disaster? (Mind you, I have no personal recollection of NHL games being on Fox, mostly because my family didn't watch much Fox during the life of the contract and did not care for NHL games anyway)

Two words: glowing puck.

the glowing puck was not the only reason, during fox's run with the nhl, every finals with the exception of 1999 ended in a sweep, had at least one cup final in the fox era went seven games, they would have gotten a healthy return on investment

She's not with ABC anymore; she signed a pact with Netflix.

For all new development projects. 'Scandal' is ending, but 'Grey's Anatomy', 'HTGAWM', and some 'Grey's' spin-off are still going to be on ABC.

But anyway...

I don't mind the scheduling tho. Takes out a night of possible underwhelming projects to fail. We'll see how it plays out, despite its well documented struggles. Network's been struggling since Idol's early dominance. 'New Fox' is supposed to be live sports + breaking news, this fits in. I'd like to see FOX amp'd up more on sports saturday nights. Along with college f'ball in fall + baseball in summer, it could be college basketball + ufc or Premier Boxing in winter/spring, rather than repeats. Hell, sprinkle in Nascar if needed.

Once again, New Fox says no changes to the Fox Network. The news and sports comment refers to FNC and FS1/2. It does not preclude them from sprinkling in sports, as they do now, but they never bothered to do national news (on rare emergencies it is a FNC simulcast). Not sure why people keep misreading the comments Fox Network execs made.

FOX Sports was like 1 - 2 yrs. old at the time so their inexperience showed in addition to the NHL being a tough sport to market, promote, etc... Even if CBS had outbid FOX back then, I don't think they would have fared any better. Having the TNF package on one broadcast network is a plus and this could work in FOX's favor. Can't fought them for trying.

Once again, New Fox says no changes to the Fox Network. The news and sports comment refers to FNC and FS1/2. It does not preclude them from sprinkling in sports, as they do now, but they never bothered to do national news (on rare emergencies it is a FNC simulcast). Not sure why people keep misreading the comments Fox Network execs made.

OK, now I understand about 'New Fox'. My stance about FOX Network's struggles + solutions with sports still stand.

• 3 months later...

Apparently, Comcast is ready to bid $60 million cash in an attempt to outbid Disney, and their $52 million stock offer for the assets of Fox.

But, according to Business Insider, their outbid offer would only come IF the AT&T wins their antitrust suit and the merger is approved by the court:

Comcast's decision to try and break up the Disney-Fox deal is contingent on the outcome of the separate pending AT&T-Time Warner merger. If the AT&T-Time Warner merger is approved, Comcast would be encouraged to pursue Fox's assets, as it would be a sign the cable giant would face less regulatory barriers in buying Fox's assets, according to Fortune.

Apparently, Comcast is ready to bid $60 million cash in an attempt to outbid Disney, and their $52 million stock offer for the assets of Fox.

But, according to Business Insider, their outbid offer would only come IF the AT&T wins their antitrust suit and the merger is approved by the court:

Good luck with that.

Hello. I hope the Disney-21CF would still go through by summer 2019, whether or not AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner would be approved. The Disney-21CF deal should solve Disney's Star Wars ownership issues once and for all. My apologies in the even that I was going slightly off the topic and repeating myself.

Good luck with that one becuase Comcast already has 2 things going against them:

1. Disney can/will raise their bid to purchase parts of Fox (even if that means selling off a few things to finance the purchase)

2. The DOJ has already come out with concerns over a potential purchase by Comcast of parts of 21st Century Fox

This is the reason why the Murdoch's went with Disney instead of Comcast and trying to outbid Disney in an all-cash deal isn't going to cut it foir the Murdoch's

Good luck with that one becuase Comcast already has 2 things going against them:

1. Disney can/will raise their bid to purchase parts of Fox (even if that means selling off a few things to finance the purchase)

2. The DOJ has already come out with concerns over a potential purchase by Comcast of parts of 21st Century Fox

This is the reason why the Murdoch's went with Disney instead of Comcast and trying to outbid Disney in an all-cash deal isn't going to cut it foir the Murdoch's

And further more even if Comcast does outbid disney, Comcast may (or may not) force to divest some of NBC Universals parts.

And further more even if Comcast does outbid disney, Comcast may (or may not) force to divest some of NBC Universals parts.

Comcast will have to divest parts of NBCUniversal to gain DOJ approval IF Comcast is able to purchase parts of 21st Century Fox

I fear that this Fox/Disney deal (or Comcast outbids Disney for Fox) is going to be controversial, along with Sinclair/Tribune deal to a certain extent, depending the outcome verdict of the AT&T/Time Warner deal, looks like 2018 is going to be a bad, horrible year in the media industry.

Agreed. I hope Disney would get its hands on most of 21CF's entertainment assets....or--should the AT&T-TW deal be approved--at least 20th Century Fox Film & Television, inlcuding all digital and physical distribution rights for Star Wars: A New Hope as well as all physical distribution rights for the five subsequent Star Wars movies that were produced and distributed prior to Disney's 2012 acquisition of Lucasfilm and have been held by 20th. Sorry for the off-topic and repetition.

The Disney-21CF deal should solve Disney's Star Wars ownership issues once and for all.

Disney already owns Star Wars. Fox just has distribution rights for the first movie (the one known as A New Hope.)

But Fox also owns the film rights for the Fantastic Four and X-Men, two Marvel properties that a lot of people would like to see in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Disney already owns Star Wars. Fox just has distribution rights for the first movie (the one known as A New Hope.)

But Fox also owns the film rights for the Fantastic Four and X-Men, two Marvel properties that a lot of people would like to see in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

That is what I have meant to state. Oh, I just re-edited my previous comment.

I fear that this Fox/Disney deal (or Comcast outbids Disney for Fox) is going to be controversial, along with Sinclair/Tribune deal to a certain extent, depending the outcome verdict of the AT&T/Time Warner deal, looks like 2018 is going to be a bad, horrible year in the media industry.

Hello. Respectfully, I thought the Disney-21CF deal would solve Disney's Star Wars ownership issues. Hopefully, Disney would permanently takeover all distribution rights for the first six Skywalker Saga movies and hopefully merge 20th and Touchstone Pictures into the new 20th Century Touchstone movie label. Sorry for the repetition.

Fox also has DVD and Blu-ray rights to The Empire Strikes Back through to Revenge of the Sith in a contract that will expire in some years' time.

(Edited for accuracy)

Archived