Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

I'll say this, I don't think nor do I expect Disney to dump ESPN because they would not have acquired BAMTech or Fox's Regional Sports Networks if Disney got rid of ESPN, on top of that it would take Hearst to sell their stake in ESPN in order for Disney to spin the network off and that ain't happening either.

It would be nice for Sinclair or someone else to buy ESPN but chances of that happening are slim to none

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Fox wants to effectively bail out Sinclair and take a whole bunch of key affiliates back into the fold (including a decent chunk of the 2008 ex-New World spinoffs, plus KCPQ) this deal gives them more than enough money to do so.

Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. Fox News is a money machine but that 65-dead demo won’t last forever. And holding onto a network that will have the vast majority of affiliates owned by a rival company in a BBS-CTV mess is highly questionable.

I’ll throw one caveat: what if the Murdoch sons don’t see any future whatsoever in the motion picture industry?

It would be nice for Sinclair or someone else to buy ESPN but chances of that happening are slim to none

Why, so Sinclair can absolutely sink with a network that is already in massive financial trouble and with a shrinking viewership base?

At least Disney can offset that red ink with an endless parade of Star Wars and Marvel Cinematic Universe features. But even that will have a shelf life.

Why, so Sinclair can absolutely sink with a network that is already in massive financial trouble and with a shrinking viewership base?

If Disney knew that ESPN was sinking and had a full ownership stake in the network then yeah ESPN would've been spun off but who owns the so called "silent majority" of ESPN? You guessed it, Hearst and Hearst doesn't want to give up their stake in ESPN because if they did that then stations like KMBC, WISN, WTAE and WBAL would've lost their right to simulcast NFL games involving their local team with ESPN.

You have to understand that Disney would not have bought BAMTech or even considered buying Fox's Regional Sports Networks if they truly believed that ESPN was a sinking ship to the point of no return

If Disney knew that ESPN was sinking and had a full ownership stake in the network then yeah ESPN would've been spun off but who owns the so called "silent majority" of ESPN? You guessed it, Hearst and Hearst doesn't want to give up their stake in ESPN because if they did that then stations like KMBC, WISN, WTAE and WBAL would've lost their right to simulcast NFL games involving their local team with ESPN.

You have to understand that Disney would not have bought BAMTech or even considered buying Fox's Regional Sports Networks if they truly believed that ESPN was a sinking ship to the point of no return

Hearst only owes 20%. That is not a silent majority. And I imagine Disney can do whatever it wants with its 80%, regardless of what Hearst wants to do with its 20%. Disney has controlling interest.

Hearst only owes 20%. That is not a silent majority. And I imagine Disney can do whatever it wants with its 80%, regardless of what Hearst wants to do with its 20%. Disney has controlling interest.

Still I just can't justify a sell/spin off of ESPN now that not only Disney has bought BAMTech and it's now buying Fox's RSNs but also investing in the direct to consumer streaming service (ESPN Plus), just my opinion

A couple thoughts on the ESPN discussion:

Let's be clear. While ESPN profits are not as high as they once were, they are NOT losing money. Even though ESPN no longer delivers a boat-load of money to Disney's bottom line, it does still bring in a truck-load. It's still a lot of cash that Disney cares about.

Next, with Disney owning a lot more sports broadcasting real estate (the regional networks), along with ESPN, it could give them a lot more power in negotiations to better control the obscene licensing costs the teams and leagues are asking for. Those costs, along with subscribers moving to digital, are a huge part of ESPN's problem. More muscle in controlling those costs, along with Disney's big plans for expansion into digital would seem to show Disney is more intent than ever to be a bigger player in delivering sports to consumers, and not a smaller one.

And a previous comment was right. ESPN allows ABC, their owned stations and affiliates to air a significant number of college and other games during the year. Those games bring in major ad revenue to the stations. No owned station or affiliate wants to replace college football on Saturdays with reruns of America's Funniest Videos or infomercials for copper frying pans.

Unless I'm mistaken, the local market OTA simulcast of a cable-only NFL game is won by bidding. It has nothing to do with Hearst having a 20% minority stake in ESPN.

Unless I'm mistaken, the local market OTA simulcast of a cable-only NFL game is won by bidding. It has nothing to do with Hearst having a 20% minority stake in ESPN.

That is correct, although if I can recall I think Hearst stations in home markets get first rights.

I’ll throw one caveat: what if the Murdoch sons don’t see any future whatsoever in the motion picture industry?

I don't think that's the case. I believe the grand plan is to form a new News Corp that is slimmer overall and is a private company than a public one. Selling the most profitable assets, like the film studio, would allow them to do just that. From a consumer pov, the lost of 20th Century Fox film studio could mean movies like Hidden Figures, Birdman, 12 yrs a Slave, etc... don't get made. I don't see Disney taking on those type of films/subjects. Just cranking out a bunch of Marvel, Star Wars, etc.. stuff.

And by stuff, I think you mean reboot and remakes of classic Disney Animated movies, which some of us don't even want or need.

Yes. And I would rather the film studio, the FX networks, etc.. go to someone who is less likely to tamper with things.

That's a scary thought if Disney decides to put ESPN or ABC on the block...
Only, that won't happen. In fact, even the idea that ABC will buy more stations isn't nearly as farfetched.

And by stuff, I think you mean reboot and remakes of classic Disney Animated movies, which some of us don't even want or need.
We already have enough remakes of classic Disney animated movies already.

Didn't the NBC O&Os hold right of first refusal for their TNF games?

They have to air them. Just like the CBS stations do when CBS produces a game that isn’t national.

You don’t want your high priced NBC or CBS talent appearing on Fox or ABC.

And a previous comment was right. ESPN allows ABC, their owned stations and affiliates to air a significant number of college and other games during the year. Those games bring in major ad revenue to the stations. No owned station or affiliate wants to replace college football on Saturdays with reruns of America's Funniest Videos or infomercials for copper frying pans.

many sports that were once on ABC have been moved to ESPN

Bloomberg is saying if Disney takes over the 20th studio, Fox would still own the real estate of those studio lots. That would mean Disney would have to pay Fox rent to use the lots.

while Fox would have to pay Disney for The Simpsons and Family Guy but would no longer get the merchandising or syndication or streaming $

Done deal.

$52 billion in stock.

RSNs included—and, interestingly, so is Nat Geo, FX, and a stake in Sky!

Guess Murdoch’s giving up on that too.

Awe shucks!

No cash huh?

Just let the old guy go off and spend his money...off into the sunset of those wonderful twilight years.

...and that discount at Dennys...

Archived