Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

Talk around Hollywood that Fox and Disney are heading "speedily" towards a deal.

I just want to start with a juicy rumor that is fast gaining steam in town today, that Disney is progressing speedily toward that rumored acquisition of Fox. The version I heard has the Murdoch clan keeping possession of sports and news properties, and the rest of TV and the film studio going to Disney. Radio silence right now from both studios, and given how Disney made the Marvel and Lucasfilm deals under the cone of silence, if this happens we’ll probably only know it when it’s announced.

https://deadline.com/2017/11/disney-fox-deal-should-shamed-artists-be-stricken-from-history-1202214838/

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Disney may be getting the Fox regional networks! [MEDIA=twitter]938055430160314369[/MEDIA]

Wowwwwwwwwwww

Whole new territory here. This could be the shot in the arm ESPN needs and it gives NBC Sports some very serious competition in the field to the point where I wonder if they'll stop the cuts.

Looks like Disney may be getting the Fox regional networks! [MEDIA=twitter]938055430160314369[/MEDIA]

Hello, Nelson. Gee, I, myself, thought that the Fox Sports regional networks would remain owned by 21CF instead of being purchased by Disney. At least FS1 and FS2 are among the Fox-branded television outlets that will remain owned by 21CF. I do hope that once the Disney purchase is complete, then Disney would assume full ownership of the 20th Century Fox brand only via 20th Century Fox, fold the Fox Television Group (i.e. 20th Century Fox Television, 20th Television, Fox 21 Television Studios, 20th Century Fox Television Distribution) to the Disney-ABC Television Group (i.e. ABC Studios, ABC Signature, Disney-ABC Home Entertainment and Television Distribution), let 21CF keep all other Fox-related trademarks, and fold Touchstone Pictures to 20CF rather than the other way around (i.e. revive Touchstone Pictures and retire the 20CF brand). If it is Disney does revive the Touchstone brand and and either folds 20CF to or merges 20CF with Touchstone to form 20th Century Touchstone, that is fine by me.

Oh, and the Fox network would end up changing its audio logo. If you believe I went off the topic, my apologies. If you believe this is for the speculation board, I agree and apologize for that speculation.

Wowwwwwwwwwww

Whole new territory here. This could be the shot in the arm ESPN needs and it gives NBC Sports some very serious competition in the field to the point where I wonder if they'll stop the cuts.

Most reports say Disney (or Comcast if they end up winning) will only get movie and TV production studios, FX and NG channels, Fox share of Sky TV and Star Channel in India (not sure about rest of Asia). No mention of the regional sports stations are included, and considering they would keep their O&Os, I doubt it. Considering the sports stations have been sold over and over several times whether it be sportschannel to fox, or Yes etc, who knows what will happen. They regionals were originally established as a means to get national reach to compete with ESPN, before they converted Speed Channel to FS1 (which isn't very good).

Most reports say Disney (or Comcast if they end up winning) will only get movie and TV production studios, FX and NG channels, Fox share of Sky TV and Star Channel in India (not sure about rest of Asia). No mention of the regional sports stations are included, and considering they would keep their O&Os, I doubt it. Considering the sports stations have been sold over and over several times whether it be sportschannel to fox, or Yes etc, who knows what will happen. They regionals were originally established as a means to get national reach to compete with ESPN, before they converted Speed Channel to FS1 (which isn't very good).

The CNBC article says it would include the RSNs, which I find surprising because I think the DOJ would be very concerned about a large amount of sports rights being in the hands of one company.

The CNBC article says it would include the RSNs, which I find surprising because I think the DOJ would be very concerned about a large amount of sports rights being in the hands of one company.

I did not see that part. either way, I think most viewers would have the same concern, especially considering the premiums Disney demands for retransmission of ESPN and its 1000s of little watched networks.

Precisely.

This has far more to do with the regulatory situation in the UK than it does anything else. 21st Century Fox is not guaranteed to buy the 61% of British Sky Broadcasting that it currently doesn't own, mainly because even the regulators were not really fooled by the split of NewsCorp and 21st Century Fox.

NewsCorp own The Sun, The Times, and the UK's Wireless Group, which is a whole bunch of radio stations inlcuding 3 national ones, TalkSport, TalkSport 2 and TalkRadio. If 21CF gained control of Sky, there would probably be moves made to integrate the operations into News UK, currently a subsidiary of NewsCorp. But as far as I know, there's nothing to say that 21st Century Fox wouldn't get a stake in News UK as part payment for British Sky Broadcasting, so you could have a situation where the media scene in the UK with regards to Murdoch would be no different than they were before the split, except with Sky being wholly owned by Murdoch rather than part-owned.

All the other stuff that's being offered is just camoflague to hide the real reason for the sale.

Has 21st Century Fox gone to desperation mode? Something tells me this would be a bad deal for either of them....

why would are they even including the TV production side of the Fox studio in the deal if they are keeping the Fox Network? do they think someone else might be interested in the Fox network and O&Os, like Sinclair? could The Simpsons and Family Guy move to ABC? they do attract the young male demo that ABC doesn't get much

why would are they even including the TV production side of the Fox studio in the deal if they are keeping the Fox Network? do they think someone else might be interested in the Fox network and O&Os, like Sinclair? could The Simpsons and Family Guy move to ABC? they do attract the young male demo that ABC doesn't get much

Buying the studio doesn't necessarily mean they want the shows they studio produces for their own network. It's not uncommon for a studtio owned by one media conglomerate to sell TV series they produce to a network owned by another media conglomerate. For a few examples, "The Amazing Race," "Criminal Minds," and "Code Black" are all ABC Studios productions airing on CBS, and "Brooklyn Nine Nine" is a Universal Television production for FOX.

(It was less noticeable in the past when ABC Studios used the "Touchstone Television" name, and "CBS Studios" used "Paramount.")

I really don't know why 21CF would want to sell the para-namesake film and television studios, especially considering the stickiness of the branding aspects, since the company would keep most of the existing Fox-branded broadcast and cable television properties. Even moreso, I think there's an antitrust problem, considering that Disney and 20th Century Fox maintain large shares of the film and television production market, and the film distribution market share might be the biggest issue out of all of this.

If Disney bought 20th Century Fox, it would give the company disproportionate control of the overall film distribution market share; Makan Delrahim might have a bit of a problem with that when the DOJ conducts its review of such a deal.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/fox-assets-that-would-go-to-disney-worth-67-billion-led-by-regional-sports-networks-1202221158/

The pricetag for Disney's acquisition of 21st Century Fox with film/television production, cable channels (like NatGeo and FX Nets) and Fox's RSNs is $67.9 Billion Dollars with $22.4 Billion of it's enterprise value coming from the RSNs, followed by Film/TV production assets coming in at $13.3 billion and the cable channels coming in at $8.7 billion.

It's expected that the deal could be announced in a matter of days according to Deadline despite Fox executives "remaining coy" about prospects of that merger

Well, if Disney keeps the 20th Century Fox label for movies released under that label, but folds 20th Century Fox Television to ABC Studios, then I am certain that The Simpsons and Family Guy will remain on the Fox network.

Archived