Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm with you. I can't figure out why the Murdochs would sell after building this huge empire that they have total control over, is still well positioned for future growth and isn't facing any sort of financial pressure (like Viacom).

Yeah, I don't think any media analysts have grasped why 21CF is seeking to divest assets, either. The lingering lawsuits against Fox News, and the legal fees that those incur, probably aren't a basis for any attempt at a selloff. So, what is there?

Yeah, I don't think any media analysts have grasped why 21CF is seeking to divest assets, either. The lingering lawsuits against Fox News, and the legal fees that those incur, probably aren't a basis for any attempt at a selloff. So, what is there?

I still think it's to establish a war-chest to defend against a Sinclair purchase of Tribune. I think they might be trying to set up for a proxy fight for Tribune, or perhaps they're still considering a large-scale purchase of other broadcasters in Tribune markets (which may or may not be the ION stations).

Murdoch's sons have determined that the original content business has gotten to expensive for them. Forbes theorizes that when all is said and done, News Corp and what's left of Fox will reunite.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanberr/2017/11/17/why-rupert-murdoch-is-revamping-his-media-empire-after-all-these-years/#56e39b6a6048

Add Sony to the list of potential suitors:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-inquiring-21st-century-fox-assets-1059499

Interesting to note that while Disney and Comcast are unable to purchase the Fox broadcast network, that won't be a problem for Verizon or Sony assuming that's one of the assets the Murdochs are willing to part with.

DWA really isn't that big. They do have their own studio lot (though they no longer own it) and a ton of employees but were, as an independent, easily the smallest major/mini-major studio in Hollywood. It seems to have been folded into Universal pretty seamlessly.

I'm pretty sure the scandals catching up to Murdoch is a reason to sell (even if the actual scandal-plagued assets aren't for sale)

Plenty of people will "age in" to FNC over the next 20 years.

People are not getting any younger....and the birth rate in the USA is not booming.

In addition to that...

Young "democrats" who aquire stuff...like houses and cars...tend to want to keep those things...and pay less taxes...thus they tend to vote more conservative as they grow older.

Older people also vote more.

but advertisers aren't interested paying a lot for geezers , no matter how they voter, and younger conservatives are more like to read Breitbart or Gateway Pundit than watch FNC, CNN and MSNBC viewers aren't much younger, and neither are viewers of network news, but don't most cable networks get more from subscriber fees from advertisers, and so many younger viewers will never even subscribe to cable if they even watch live TV instead of streaming programs

wouldn't the right love to have a Hollywood studio?

Not all members of the Right (and the left for that matter) are stupid and force their beliefs down people's throat. Just certain ones but I'm almost positive that Smith and company would do that if Fox was under their ownership. 20th Century Fox doesnt even do that now and we all know how Fox News leans.

I would not count Disney out just yet. Disney does not like to negotiate deals in public. Just because they say they've walked away now, doesn't mean they'll stay away. Disney has more cash in the bank and far less corporate debt than any of the other players, and is still far better positioned for this kind of acquisition. They like to do deals quietly, so it would not be out of character for them to go back to the table once the chatter quiets down.

Everyone has a price I don't see Disney or Comcast buying Fox's movie studio or cable networks just my opinion. I don't get why Charter Spectrum doesn't buy Fox's cable networks & movie studio after all they did buy TWC last year?

Charter buying the non news/sports/tv stations assets of Fox is akin to AT&T/TWC and see how well that merger is going, especially if Trumpster really is not playing a role in his dislike of CNN. I think the message by DOJ is we will not roll over even if there is vertical integration.

Archived