Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

I wonder what they intend to do with the Fox broadcast network without the television production arm? I don't see how the network would be viable with all third-party programming.

Without trying to get too much into Speculatron territory, the CNBC article mentions that Fox wants to focus on their news and sports properties. Maybe they're eyeing a soft exit from broadcast television? It makes the talk of them wanting to hand operation of their stations to Ion Media a little more interesting.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In other words, this would make FX a a sister network to Freeform. Why the hell would Fox want to sell to Disney anyway?

Because Disney basically owns the movie business at present and they have more money than God?

At the risk of speculating...

I wouldn't be surprised if a Fox effort to sell everything except broadcast stations and news channels is an effort to raise cash and focus efforts on doing battle with Sinclair. Fox is prepared to do whatever it takes to battle another right wing interloper.

At the risk of speculating...

I wouldn't be surprised if a Fox effort to sell everything except broadcast stations and news channels is an effort to raise cash and focus efforts on doing battle with Sinclair. Fox is prepared to do whatever it takes to battle another right wing interloper.

Fox could destroy the net value of Sinclair by yanking the affiliations and going cable-only and OTT (with or without ION in the mix).

They don’t have to sell off the movie/TV production arm and FX to do that.

The deal to sell the studio and film assets make some sense, but questionable. Now if they're looking to take down Sinclair with News, Sports, and Broadcast Ops, I would be all about it. But I think there's a bit more than that at stake.

Comcast has approached 21CF to express interest in buying major assets.

There are reports that also say that Verizon is interested too. I, like some of the people on this board, can't make sense of why the Murdochs would want to sell these assets either. However, at least Verizon would make sense as opposed to Disney or Comcast. Also, If they actually wanted to sell Fox Sports/News/the network itself to Verizon, they'd legally be able to do that as well. That's the only way any of this would make any kind of sense.

There are reports that also say that Verizon is interested too. I, like some of the people on this board, can't make sense of why the Murdochs would want to sell these assets either. However, at least Verizon would make sense as opposed to Disney or Comcast. Also, If they actually wanted to sell Fox Sports/News/the network itself to Verizon, they'd legally be able to do that as well. That's the only way any of this would make any kind of sense.

I honestly don’t see Verizon. As far as I know they don’t produce original content. So Disney or Comcast in my mind would be a safer bet.

I'm with you. I can't figure out why the Murdochs would sell after building this huge empire that they have total control over, is still well positioned for future growth and isn't facing any sort of financial pressure (like Viacom).

I honestly don’t see Verizon. As far as I know they don’t produce original content. So Disney or Comcast in my mind would be a safer bet.

I mean AT&T doesn't produce anything and that didn't stop them from buying TimeWarner

Plenty of people will "age in" to FNC over the next 20 years.

People are not getting any younger....and the birth rate in the USA is not booming.

In addition to that...

Young "democrats" who aquire stuff...like houses and cars...tend to want to keep those things...and pay less taxes...thus they tend to vote more conservative as they grow older.

Older people also vote more.

On the contrary. They do own a share of AwesomenessTV and that's a company that produces shows. Don't know if that necessarily counts in others' opinion but that does stand.

I mean AT&T doesn't produce anything and that didn't stop them from buying TimeWarner

On the contrary. They do own a share of AwesomenessTV and that's a company that produces shows. Don't know if that necessarily counts in others' opinion but that does stand.

I don’t know why but I just don’t see Verizon. I feel like an existing studio will eat them up. Verizon has $117 billion dollars with debt while Comcast has $65 billion.

I don't see either cable company buying 21CF's entertainment assets. But I just can't see Comcast buying it more.

It already owns one broadcast network, a group of cable channels, a set media production companies and two film studio companies. I refuse to think they should own another of all of these.

Archived