Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/27/us-set-to-give-antitrust-approval-for-disney-fox-deal.html

What Disney gets:

• 20th Century Fox film and TV studios

• FX Networks and National Geographic cable networks

• Fox's international channels
  • Fox's stake in Hulu

What Fox keeps:

• Fox broadcast network
  • Fox O&O's
  • Fox News
  • Fox Business

• Fox Sports (FS1 & FS2)

Fox's regional sports networks will be divested to a third party to win DOJ approval.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd almost think NatGeo/NatGeo Wild would net 21st more if they would spin that off into a separate sale. Discovery, for one, would probably salivate at the chance to get their hands on those two, as they'd be a natural fit with the rest of Discovery's portfolio.

IMO, A+E Networks would probably be a better "fit" to buy the rest of the "for sale" assets of 21st. Yes, I realize, it's semantics, given that A+E is half owned by Disney, but I could more easily envision an A+E operated FX and FXX than I could a Disney run FX and FXX. (Additionally, having Hearst's capital to help defray the cost can't be a bad thing.)

So that's why the news came out now...Disney balked, Fox uses this as a negotiating tactic or to entice more bidders.

This deal makes more sense for NBCU/Comcast-- especially for the movie studio/production arm of the assets.

Comcast would make a good fit. I’m not a Disney type movie fan but from some of the Fox blockbusters I know they have made don’t exactly mesh with the Disney image.

Universal Theme Parks do have a deal with certain type of Fox properties. I imagine that’s small potatoes.

I am a bit surprised that they’d be getting rid of the TV production arm. It’s easier for things to be kept “in house” for both production and development.

This was random and overwhelming. I'm actually glad it didn't progress.

Fox and Disney do not mesh well, as Fox is more an entertainment company for (mostly) adults (young and old) (and it's surprising a sale of the companies was even done since they are largely lucrative and awards-friendly)...while we all know what Disney is. Some assets are barely good for a Disney sub-company over others.

But this deal as a whole doesn't fit.

(A3N said:

This deal makes more sense for NBCU/Comcast-- especially for the movie studio/production arm of the assets.)

Comcast would make a good fit. I’m not a Disney type movie fan but from some of the Fox blockbusters I know they have made don’t exactly mesh with the Disney image.

Agreed. Any successful production company but Disney would be a perfect buyer and merge everything together well.

Archived