The Wish List

Ntropolis

Oh, I forgot this: VERY early WNBC from 1980, when News 4 New York was in its' infancy-- they used a WTAE-style 4 (not sure why they changed it) and apparently there was a city skyline behind the Live at Five area instead of the monitors. You can see some clips of it in this early promo:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cincinnati is a market with a real lack of pre 1982 footage. I have yet to see a video of Al Schottelkotte, despite, according to Guiness Book of World Records, at one point, being the highest rated local anchor in the nation.

WLWT is devoid of anything from the 1970's. I tried to track down some background from that era: The place was a revolving door in the late '70s/early '80s. In 1979, Steve Douglas departed after a 7 year stint as anchor. His replacement was Scott Osborne, who apparently quit in disgust after less than a year on the job. In 1980, they had the team of Rick Taylor and Clyde Gray anchoring the late news and Sheri Norton co-anchoring at 6 o'clock with Taylor. Then in '83, they paired Norma Rashid and newcomer Richard Hull together.

Starting in 1980, they used "The News" branding along with, according to an article, the same music used on WMAQ (NewsCenter theme?).

Cincinnati is a market with a real lack of pre 1982 footage. I have yet to see a video of Al Schottelkotte, despite, according to Guiness Book of World Records, at one point, being the highest rated local anchor in the nation.

WLWT is devoid of anything from the 1970's. I tried to track down some background from that era: The place was a revolving door in the late '70s/early '80s. In 1979, Steve Douglas departed after a 7 year stint as anchor. His replacement was Scott Osborne, who apparently quit in disgust after less than a year on the job. In 1980, they had the team of Rick Taylor and Clyde Gray anchoring the late news and Sheri Norton co-anchoring at 6 o'clock with Taylor. Then in '83, they paired Norma Rashid and newcomer Richard Hull together.

Starting in 1980, they used "The News" branding along with, according to an article, the same music used on WMAQ (NewsCenter theme?).

Yes, WLWT used NewsCenter until 1983. There is one clip on YT that has an open from 1982 with it. I completely agree. There is a not a lot of Cincinnati TV News clips pre-1990, except maybe a bunch of Jerry Springer era WLWT opens. A lot of WKRC and WCPO is missing and they are the #1 and #2 of the market! It reminds me of Tampa.

• 2 months later...

WTEN: Just like the other two, they are missing opens from the 1970s and early 80s (I wonder if they even had a “Hello” image campaign as the NMSA says they used Hello News), but there’s also a transitional period during the mid-2000s. It basically showed newer L3’s and fonts, but they still were using “Primetime News”. Scrabbleship told me they dumped Chris Clausen and replaced him with Chapin around this time too, unless they waited till debuting Momentum News in 2007. This era has been totally unseen aside from a report in 2006, where Primetime News can be heard for a brief second.

Would love to see more from the mid-90s "Reporting to You" era with the custom theme. I still want to find out who the VO during that era was. He was heard on then-sister stations WTVO and WKBT along with WFRV during that era. Chime in on that thread if you know!

• 1 month later...

My ideal wishlist is....

* Anything WFMY 2, WGHP 8, WXII 12 and WXLV 45 in the Triad from the mid-90s to 2004, they are so hard to find, especially when you want more of WXII in the era of Hearst's camera graphics package (2000-04)

* WLFL 22 in the Triangle from the mid-90s to the mid-2000s, when they were a Fox affiliate then became a WB affiliate in 1998.

* WCHS 8 in the early-mid 2000s Eyewitness News era, using Peters' WBTW "Best of Two Worlds" theme

* WSPA 7 in the 1990s when they used 615 Music's Pinnacle, and sister station WNEG 32 in Toccoa from the 1990s to the 2000s

* WBTV 3, WSOC 9, WCCB 18 and WCNC 6 in Charlotte from the early-mid 2000s, that is what I desperately want alongside the Triad!

The Classic Video thread has to be one of my favorite parts of TVNT. I've enjoyed seeing how TV stations where I grew up and where I live now used to look and have evolved over the years. I get excited every time someone finds something new on Youtube, which got me thinking: What "undiscovered" vintage clips are you waiting to see?

It can be eras, opens, promos that have yet to "resurface" after they originally aired.

My "wish list":

Hampton Roads

• Pretty much any daypart newscast other than 11pm up until the '90s. There are bits and pieces of morning and noon news clips, but I'd really love to see how the morning and noon newscasts looked at the time, especially WAVY's Wall to Wall/1st-gen Newswire opens.
  • More WVEC during the Turn To 'update" era (1990-1992). This article from the Daily Press describes the new opens ("The station also added a flashier opening to its newscasts. Camera shots were taken of a river at daybreak for the morning newscast, of traffic at midday for the noon show, of a harbor for the 5:30 report, of an orange sky at dusk for 6 p.m. and of the nighttime harbor lights for the 11 p.m. report.") but all we've seen is
    . I also wonder if there was a talent open for the weekday newscasts.
  • WVEC's full version of the "Spirit of Hampton Roads" Turn To song
  • WTKR in very late 1991/very early 1992. They began using this
    and the "Hampton Roads' #1 News Source" slogan in late 1991 until they changed it again for February 1992 sweeps. Jim Hale also replaced Bob Rathbun as sports director in December of 1991, which makes me wonder if there could have been a different open used during this period.
  • More WTKR during the TV-3 News (1994-95) and middle of the NewsChannel 3 (1998-2002) eras. There's another WTKR open from the beginning of the Ignitor era that needs to be found.
  • Pretty much anything from WVEC and WTKR from before 1985/86 (WVEC Corinthian era, and WTAR/WTKR's muddy early 80s music and theme history)

Elsewhere

• Anything from the Greenville/Washington/New Bern market. There's a huge dry spot of WITN from the early 80s up until 1998, save for
    early into the long-running "Eastern Carolina's News Channel" logo.

Most of those would cover my wishlist, so I'll just summarize in general anything from Hampton Roads pre-1985 or so (there have been some scattered early items, but mostly bits and pieces along with WAVY's YouTube channel periodically uploading individual reports from the tail end of the Area 10 Eyewitness News era {1978-81}); especially from WTKR since there's very little classic news footage compared to WVEC or WAVY

As for specifics, one I would add would be a complete version of WVEC's early 1990s "Good People, Good News" campaign (only footage I know of is one I uploaded that came from a tape of Saturday Morning cartoons {mostly 1990 but this clip came from the middle of that tape, airing on February 1, 1992 that got cut off near the end of the promo for an episode of "Yo! Yogi" for some strange reason})

As for specifics, one I would add would be a complete version of WVEC's early 1990s "Good People, Good News" campaign (only footage I know of is one I uploaded that came from a tape of Saturday Morning cartoons {mostly 1990 but this clip came from the middle of that tape, airing on February 1, 1992 that got cut off near the end of the promo for an episode of "Yo! Yogi" for some strange reason})

Here's a weather version:

Music is "Follow Your Bliss" by the B-52's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mZR1kltOU

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, bumping the thread again for the Mobile-Pensacola market, which has always been one of my faves...

WALA - Any material pre-early 1980s, late 1980s, and early 2000s. They were using “Count On 9” by, at the earliest, March 1985 and was still in use by 1988. They also have nothing from the era using “Alive” and “Firepower News”... where’d the NMSA snippet using the former theme come from? The rest of the 80s material you can find on NewsActive3.

WKRG - The only holes this station has is some early 1980s material (they started using “Take A Look” at least by 1982 and used it well into ‘86) and possibly more from the 2000s using MG graphics. I don’t see anything from that period.

WEAR - Anything before the “Clearly Yours” era, mid 1980s, and, like the other two, early 2000s. Also like the other stations, the NMSA has plenty of audio snippets I haven’t found yet, so I’m assuming they’re lurking on YouTube somewhere, got pulled or someone has them but hasn’t uploaded them. A 1991 weekend open also recently got uncovered, which was courtesy of CraigS1996BackupEntertainment.

WPMI - Mostly, of course, early 2000s. Their 2006 St. Patrick’s Day segment became a YouTube hit, so I’m wondering if that full newscast has surfaced anywhere. I think they’ve got holes from whatever they used during the Fox era, too.

The problem I have is researching WALA and WEAR cause Youtube easily gets them mistaken for other stuff. Adding the “-TV” suffix in the searches doesn’t help matters. Mobile has always been one of my favorite markets with rarities, along with Greenville, SC and Salt Lake City.

• 3 months later...

My wish list of markets that I did compilations for.

Terre Haute

• WAWV - Any news material from the early 80s when WBAK had a newscast, as well as mid-2000s videos when WTWO took over and made their "Prime Edition" newscasts on WBAK/WFXW. This is pretty much the only videos that are needed as there is plenty of WTWO and WTHI material on NA3 & WTWO's original compilation.

Tampa Bay

• WTOG - Anything from the late-1980s and early-90s, as well as a "Newswire" open from 1995-1996 with Scott Chapin as VO.
  • WWSB - Plenty of holes for them here and there. Any news material from the WXLT days (the one in my compilation was spliced to make it seem complete) and news opens when they used "All The News". There is a "Counterpoint" open from the mid-90s and while there is audio in the NMSA, I remember watching the video a few years ago, so the video has likely been taken down and nobody has uploaded it back.

Birmingham

• WBMA/WCFT/WJSU - I don't think any material for WCFT would be necessary as given the release of a 1991 open, that part is already satisfied. What is needed, is mid-80s-1988 material from WJSU, especially news opens as there are images of them on Logopedia, but I assume they've been taken down. Same goes for early ABC 33/40 material from 1996-1997.
  • WBRC - More late 1980s opens are needed (first few years of "Palmer News Package"), as well as mid-2000s opens when WBRC had opens with the Fox O&O graphics.
  • WVTM - Opens with Mason Williams' "Classical Gas", the KDFW 1979 theme, and any material from 1995-1995 when they used "One and Only", all of which are in audio form in the NMSA, but their respective videos have likely been taken down.
  • WIAT - More videos when they used the WSLS 1988 theme and any 1996 material, especially news opens, when they were WBMG. As for WIAT, the current morning open.

Providence

• WJAR - News opens from 1994-1996, when they used the general "Advantage" theme.
  • WLNE - Any material when the station was WTEV, any news open material between 1983-1985, more opens from 1985-1999, especially opens when they started becoming an ABC affiliate (again).
  • WPRI/WNAC - Any pre-2000s news opens (from around when they began their newscasts) (in regards to WNAC). As for WPRI, any news-related material from the late 70s-1980, more opens with "Hello News", more 2000s opens (Eyewitness News & first years of Newsforce, their current theme).

Puerto Rico

• WAPA - Any opens using the WNDU 1986 theme, Newswatch 24, News One, Impact, and News Authority.
  • WKAQ - Any opens with the Telemundo 1999 theme, Raw Power, WKAQ 2007 theme, and KBLR 2007 theme, although audio versions are in the NMSA.

Hawaii

• KHON - News opens from the mid 1980s (with 1979-1986 NBC logo) and 1989-1991 open, along with opens from 1994-1996 before they switched to Fox.
  • KGMB - Any news-related material from the 1980s when they used "The Team To Watch" graphics.
  • KITV - There's a lot of time periods with not a lot of content, so there needs to be more news items from the 1980s, especially opens with the original ABC World News Tonight theme, the Tar Sequence theme, and Spirit of Texas. Along with that, opens from around 2000.
  • KHNL - Nothing much that is needed other than opens of their newscast before the switch to NBC (1995).

My wish list:

ANYTHING from Univision and Telemundo affiliated stations back in the 90s to earlier.
Specifically the O&O stations like WXTV, KWEX, KMEX, KDTV, KTVW, WLTV, WNJU, KVEA, WSCV, etc.

Noticiero Univision during the late 1980s to the really early 1990s.

If anyone can find me stuff of this, let me know.

The original KTTV Good Day LA 1993 open. Been trying to find it for years. It started out..."It's gonna be a good...good daaaay in LA," then it went into the anchor intros. There is a KTTV open montage that has that same opening sequence, but without the original theme. When GDLA launched in 1993, they were 2 years behind the KTLA Morning News and GDLA switched formats rather frequently to try and match KTLAs success.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this because there are a few things I'd like to see pop up on the webs that hasn't been mentioned.

• Fort Myers
    • WZVN: Practically any time period during the WEVU era plus their use of Total News and Primetime News
    • WBBH: More 70s- early 90s stuff. 
    • WINK: Same as WBBH. Especially their use of the CBS Affiliate Package
  • Indianapolis
    • WISH-TV: Anything from the 70s
    • WTHR: Some footage during the WLWI days especially their usage of MCTYW and Cool Hand.
    • WRTV: Some footage during the WFBM days and their usage of Catch 5 
    • WTTV: Their use of Spirit (of Texas).
  • Fort Wayne
    • WANE: Mid 90s stuff when they used Gari's Where it All Happens as a theme seems to be missing plus any pre-1985 stuff.
    • WISE: Surprisingly, 1999-2004 is a missing era for them. 
    • WPTA: Anything pre-Image IV. I also wouldn't mind seeing earlier usage of Image IV too.

• 2 months later...

As far as videos in general, I'd like to see more moment-of-switch videos from the stations affected by the New World/Fox deal of '94 and CBS/Westinghouse the following year, whether they be boring and uneventful or noticeable and acknowledged. Now for the stations in particular that I look forward to (subject to change...of coarse):

• Baltimore
    • WBFF: News opens from the 80s when they featured the classic "Turn to News"
    • WBAL: If I recall correctly, there's a newscast from 2001 or 2002 (at the very least, prior to switching to the LLE Hearst music package) that features footage of...ME as a kid at a visit to the doctor. Would love to share that in the Breakroom someday if I come across it
    • WMAR: More videos from the 2 News Now era, easily my favorite of their history.
    • WJZ: Coverage of the first Ravens Super Bowl victory parade in 2001

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wish list consists of stuff from the Lansing, MI area in the late 1990s, as virtually few stuff from there can be found.

Lansing

• WLAJ - Practically anything from around that time, their news operation (launched as 53 Nightbeat) was shut down after a month, replacing it with simulcasts of Action News from WXYZ-TV in Detroit before relaunching a news operation in 1997 (It doesn't say the news package they used on NMSA).
  • WILX - Around the time of transition when they were using Non-Stop's "News Watch" package in between the switchover to Gari Music's "News Source" (first used by WBNS in 1996).
  • WLNS - Any Late 1990s stuff, including news opens when they were using Gari Music's "Advantage" (first utilized by WFSB in 1990).
  • WSYM - Anything from around that era, News operation launched in September 1997 (they only had newscasts seen weeknights at 5:30PM, 10PM (each night) and a Sunday sports highlight show), it used a customized version of Non-Stop's "Monster News" package (first utilized by WGHP in 1996-97) for their newscasts.

WLAJ - Practically anything from around that time, their news operation (launched as 53 Nightbeat) was shut down after a month, replacing it with simulcasts of Action News from WXYZ-TV in Detroit before relaunching a news operation in 1997 (It doesn't say the news package they used on NMSA).

What i actually meant (talking about WLAJ) was that their news operation (launched as 53 Nightbeat) launched a month after it began, before it was shut down after 15 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I want to share my own wish list, which consists of the following:

Atlanta

• More WSB-TV newscasts from 1997-2006...especially ones that close with video footage of NewsChopper 2 in flight.
  • More WGCL-TV material from 2000-2005.

Chattanooga

• More WTVC newscasts from 1994-2009, preferably from the Chroma Cues era.
  • WRCB content from 2003-2007
  • More WDEF stuff from 1998-2005

Another which I'd want to add to my wish list is anything from the Tyler, TX area in the late 1990s.

• Tyler/Longview
  • KLTV - Any late 1990s material plus their use of Gari Music's "The One and Only" and the ABC Affiliate News Music Package.
  • KETK - from the "Region 56" days, more late 1990s stuff (though it's licensed to Jacksonville, TX).
  • KFXK - Any IDs and promos around that time, KETK began producing a weeknight 9PM newscast for the station in 1998.
  • KTPN/KLPN - Anything from the low-powered UPN affiliate, it started off as a WB affiliate before switching to UPN in '97 (Tyler/Longview residents had to rely on the superstation WGN feed before the launch of cable-only "KWTL" for the meantime).

(prior to the launch of KYTX, East Texas residents had to rely on cable (KTVT/Dallas, KSLA/Shreveport, KBTX/Bryan, TX) or satellite for CBS programming).

• 1 month later...

Sorry there to bump, But some stations in various markets where Largely uncovered in anything which consists of the following:

Fort Smith - Fayetteville AR

• KHBS/KHOG - Anything from late 1980s to 2008 they are so hard to find, especially when you want more in the era of Hearst's camera graphics package (2001-2005).

Jackson MS

• WAPT - any material when it was anchor with Gene Edwards (1995-2003).

Scramento CA

• KCRA-TV - any material Newscasts during early years under Hearst ownership in 2000-2008.

Milwaukee WI

• WISN-TV - Anything when using Camera V.2 Package (1998-2001) along with opens from 1993-1995 and 1995-1998.
  • WITI - any material Newscasts when that station swtiched from CBS to Fox (December 1994) along with opens during Fox Six News era (1997-1998).

Cincinnati OH

• WLWT - Anything news opens from 1993-early 1996,1997-1998 (during first year under Hearst),1998-2004 (Hearst's camera graphics package) and 2004-2008.
  • WXIX - Anything news opens from 1997-2005.

Archived