The Wish List

Ntropolis

Probably because some of the stations’ archive footage was swallowed up by Hurricane Katrina. If anything, it would be great to have more WVUE (including anything pre-1983 using “TuesdayC”, the first wave of “NewsCaster” when they used Pulitzer-type graphics, and the “Advantage” era after switching to Fox). WDSU would be basically anything pre-1982 and we’ve pretty much found everything WWL.

WDSU and WWL's footage has stayed largely intact, though WVUE did lose some of their tape footage in Katrina. Portions of what does exist from that period, plus footage of the storm's damage to its studios, tape library and newsroom, were seen in their 60th anniversary special back in 2013. In fact, the Louisiana State Archives has digitized some of WWL's old film from the late '60s-early '70s, and the University of New Orleans has a large portion of WDSU and WVUE news film too.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Charlotte besides WBTV, I want some more WSOC pre-1987 and WCNC during the 90s. I’d like to know how long ‘SOC used “The News Image”, which was probably one of two years (if “The Team To Watch” debuted in ‘85).

Also that WSYX Open isn’t what I’m looking for, I’m talking about the following era when they used “USA News”.

As for Charlotte besides WBTV, I want some more WSOC pre-1987 and WCNC during the 90s. I’d like to know how long ‘SOC used “The News Image”, which was probably one of two years (if “The Team To Watch” debuted in ‘85).

Also that WSYX Open isn’t what I’m looking for, I’m talking about the following era when they used “USA News”.

There only tease or promos with USA News, there no opening from late 93-95. Believe me I myself been looking for that myself.

Focusing on the state of Iowa...

Des Moines:

WHO-TV: Anything mid 1980s. Yes a 1985 Open I’ve been looking for ages got uploaded back in September, but it’s strange that there’s not much else from that time frame. Also I’d like to see their open under “Its WHO We Are” and there’s also this ID that makes me curious:

KCCI: Stuff pre-1983 is rare. The NMSA has some audio clips of opens using “Now More Than Ever” and anything before that is hard to be found. It would also be lovely to find more under the CBS Affiliate Package, besides the two newscasts from ‘93.

WOI-DT: Even worse than KCCI, there is a giant gap before 1984 when George Wylie took over. I also can’t find the open using the 1986 theme, we just saw two news briefs with VTS’ “News Leader,” and some more stuff from the early ‘90s would be good too.

Targeting other markets like Cedar Rapids, KWWL has nothing at all from the 1980s (an identchannel compilation suggests an open did exist at one point — might’ve gotten taken down) and KGAN has nothing mid 90s. As for Davenport-Quad Cities, I’m trying to find more WQAD. The NMSA seems to have a lot more than Youtube.

I used to have an account on here a while back and been lurking for a long time so here's my list. A lot of music I'd love to see.

I'll start with New England where I am from. Mostly using NMSA as a guide.

Boston:

WBZ: Anything from the Today's 4 era, 1982 - 1985, there a few shows here and there but nothing from 1982 -1983 I've seen so far. There's just one newscast that has popped up from the 1990 - 1992 era and I'd love to see more shows from that era, the one newscast that's online is amazing for the era. The WBZ 1994 News Theme, 1994 until 1995 ,WBZ/WSBK 1994 News Theme from 1995 until 1996 and especially Newsworks, there aren't that many clips around from any. Would love to see more of the Michael Whalen package from 2000 - 2003, my favorite music they have used.

WCVB:

There are few if any clips from the Big News (1990 - 1995) era and would love to see a whole show from then. More Image News as well.

WHDH:

Pulstar by Vangelis (1984 - 1986) from the WNEV days, there are no clips on youtube or on the NMSA. It's a must on my list.

WFXT:

First on FOX (1996 - 2001), there's only one newscast from that era I've seen on youtube. I'd also like to see more from the Redline Production Music: Unknown Cut (2001 - 2004), both era's are rare to find.

Providence,

WLNE:

Home Country from the WTEV era would be great, nothing from that era exists anywhere. Move Close To Your World has never been seen or heard and I have wanted to pop up. The 1992 (number two theme) would be great to see much more. It would be great to see much more from the WLNE 1995 News Theme by Star Trak Music used from 1995 until 1999. Along with the WLNE 1999 News Theme and the WLNE 2001 News Theme.

WJAR:

Would love to see a close from the WTVX 1983 news theme. Would also like to see more shows from the News Image, The Great News Package and Building a Better Texas (especially).

WPRI:

Hello News outside of the noon news update posted on Youtube. Video of WPRI 1986 news theme, along with this is your news and eyewitness news (theme) as well. Most of these themes are super rare with WPRI usage online.

Connecticut

WVIT: The WVIT 1990 theme is harder to find and would love to see more shows from the era. The One for All just showed up recently and it would be great to hear more of that and Industrial Strength as well.

WTNH: Action News (theme) usage, not super common to find video of it online. An underrated gem.

Presque Isle:

WAGM: Would love to see Primetime News usage, one of my favorite themes and I wish they had clips up of it. The WAGM 2004 theme was uniquely them and I wish video of it would pop up back online.

Bangor:

WVII: Primetime News usage would be great, need much more than one show. Global Village usage as well, but not as much of a big fan.

Portland:

WGME: The Great News Package, would love to see what they did with it.

WPXT: WWL News, no clips I know of exist and it would be great to see it pop up from there.

WMTW: Earwitness News, nothing I know of besides an update with audio on NMSA. More from Real News, Primetime News and Impact (there isn’t much from all three around).

Burlington:

WVNY: Eyewitness News, only seen one or two clips, much more of it would be great. Bet there are some themes from them we don’t even know yet, they’ve had a quirky news history.

WPTZ: WPXI 1981 News Theme would be very interesting to see. Would love to see more of the WNDU 1986 News Theme, an interesting usage they had. Would be great to see Signature and Image News pop up more as well. I only know of one brief Signature clip from them on YouTube.

WNNE: The WNNE 1994 News Theme would be something I’d want to hear more from. I like the Production Music: Election Update #1 and would like to see more of that and especially the Production Music: Intrepid which is a personal favorite.

New Hampshire:

WMUR: Would love to see more from The Hour and especially the WMUR News Theme from Michael Karp Music.

Springfield:

WSHM: The WSHM 2005 music package by Michael Whalen Music, I don’t even think I’ve seen a clip of it on YouTube.

WGGB: I could go on and on and there are very few youtube clips of these themes. Turn to News, The Great News Package, Spirit of (Texas) (Please!), and 1993, 1994 and 1997 themes. Not enough of any of those going around.

I have a much longer list but I’m just starting with New England!

WHDH:

Pulstar by Vangelis (1984 - 1986) from the WNEV days, there are no clips on youtube or on the NMSA. It's a must on my list.

I think they used that as Music during promos and news teases, not for any opens.

If anything, I’d like to see the WNAC open from the NMSA with Charlie Van Dyke and “TuesdayH”. That must’ve been used for a short time because it falls between “TuesdayA” and “News 7” 1981-82.

WJAR:

Would love to see a close from the WTVX 1983 news theme. Would also like to see more shows from the News Image, The Great News Package and Building a Better Texas (especially).

They’re also missing a set of opens from the mid 1990s when they debuted “Advantage”. Love to see more of that.

WLNE also has a missing era from 1993 to 1995 when they were in their final years with CBS. And we’re missing plenty of WPRI pre-1986, agreed.

I’m surprised WLVI wasn’t mentioned. Their first open under the “Ten O’Clock News” banner (1993) has been my white whale for a year now.

• 2 weeks later...

Green Bay:

WLUK: We are missing anything pre-1986. I don’t know where the open with “Hello News” on the NMSA can be found either. Also missing is anything from 1987-1990, 1992-1995, and that’s about it.

WFRV: Like WLUK, anything until the mid 1980s. This one has the most stuff out of all of them, but there’s some missing from the late 90s and early 2000s.

WBAY: Anything, I mean anything, between 1995 and 2007 is missing on YouTube, strangely, unless there are some lurking around on a NewsActive3 compilation somewhere. Also missing is obviously stuff before 1981, but there’s also missing stuff from 1984-86 (when they had the call letters inside the 2) and I’m beginning to wonder if they ever used “Making A Difference”.

WGBA: I can’t find much from this one either, besides the 1990s clips and the newscast from 2004.

Milwaukee is also missing a large portion, including WTMJ and WITI pre-1985, yet there’s a lot of WISN from that era.

I'm looking for stuff in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Market.

WNEP: News intros using original MCTYW; News from early 2000s

WBRE: Signoff

WOLF: News when WBRE produced "FOX56 News First at 10"

There aren't many of videos from this market, likely because there aren't any major cities within the viewing area.

I'm also trying to find:

WPXI: More newscasts from 1994 to 1996, where they used MCTYW Esque. There are a few clips on YouTube, but I'd like to see some more.

• 2 weeks later...

My list:

Pittsburgh -

KDKA, WIIC turned into WPXI, WPGH, WTAE news opens/closes/promos from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s

Erie, PA

WICU, WJET, WSEE

Same time frame

Youngstown, OH

WFMJ, WKBN, WYTV

Same time frame

Cleveland

WEWS, WJKW, WKYC

Johnstown/Altoona, PA

WJAC, WTAJ

Recorded number of these on audio cassette tapes and after first VCR Christmas 1990, recorded video

Hard to find, rare, and see more of these again since born and raised in western PA

SNC - Satellite News Channel

Another one for ya - I would love to find a clean cut of Edd Kalehoff’s “Groove News” which was KNSD’s theme from the 90s. I’ve always loved the jazzy feel of that package and it certainly was one of Kalehoff’s best. Better yet, anything KNSD from 1988 to 1993 is a big gaping hole.

I have to add WBTW to my list. Other than the few 1991 clips I found and uploaded, there's barely anything from that station on Youtube from before 2000. phillyvideofan had a few clips on his channel before it was terminated (ca. 1993 with the Best of Two Worlds theme/open).

Maybe I need to take a thrifting trip down to Myrtle to find tapes!

Focusing on the state of Iowa...

Des Moines:

WHO-TV: Anything mid 1980s. Yes a 1985 Open I’ve been looking for ages got uploaded back in September, but it’s strange that there’s not much else from that time frame. Also I’d like to see their open under “Its WHO We Are” and there’s also this ID that makes me curious:

KCCI: Stuff pre-1983 is rare. The NMSA has some audio clips of opens using “Now More Than Ever” and anything before that is hard to be found. It would also be lovely to find more under the CBS Affiliate Package, besides the two newscasts from ‘93.

WOI-DT: Even worse than KCCI, there is a giant gap before 1984 when George Wylie took over. I also can’t find the open using the 1986 theme, we just saw two news briefs with VTS’ “News Leader,” and some more stuff from the early ‘90s would be good too.

Targeting other markets like Cedar Rapids, KWWL has nothing at all from the 1980s (an identchannel compilation suggests an open did exist at one point — might’ve gotten taken down) and KGAN has nothing mid 90s. As for Davenport-Quad Cities, I’m trying to find more WQAD. The NMSA seems to have a lot more than Youtube.

Building onto my Des Moines list, there’s now a supposed era of KCCI using a different open when they used the slogan “Be a Part Of It All”. If we do find an open, I’m speculating it’s the WRTV 1984 Theme (the promo shown here sounds a bit similar to WRTV’s theme).

The video description also says “the animated ending to this promo figured into the news opens.”

When I posted another KCCI promo with this theme on the classic vid thread, Loren Karr (the promo’s uploaded) said that there’s more coming, including WHO (!!!). Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, bumping the thread again to give Albany, New York, my hometown, a good thrashing (I actually did this in the Classic Vid Thread many moons ago, but thanks to scrabbleship I’ve heard of some Albany rarities):

WNYT: Jim (compubit) gave us some of my white whales already: The 1991-1994 “squares” package with The Hour and the “Prime News” era with the flying TV screens (1994-1997). However, we’re still missing the “We Know What Matters” era from 1988 (a news report from that era WAS on YouTube until it got deleted), anything early 80s pre-1986 is rare, and they also overhauled their 1997 opens in 2002 (scrabbleship said “unless you poke around the Internet Archive largely invisible”.) Their first gen-LA Groove opens used to be on TVARK.

WRGB: The earliest I’ve seen from them is the open on the Telesound demo with “Signature News”. I also want to see more from the ‘70s (when they had “And You”), their first open with “Making A Difference” and their later image with said package, during the mid ‘90s. Their “News In Focus” era used to be on TVARK until that site underwent issues, just like WNYT.

WTEN: Just like the other two, they are missing opens from the 1970s and early 80s (I wonder if they even had a “Hello” image campaign as the NMSA says they used Hello News), but there’s also a transitional period during the mid-2000s. It basically showed newer L3’s and fonts, but they still were using “Primetime News”. Scrabbleship told me they dumped Chris Clausen and replaced him with Chapin around this time too, unless they waited till debuting Momentum News in 2007. This era has been totally unseen aside from a report in 2006, where Primetime News can be heard for a brief second.

WXXA: Their Late 90s-Early 2000s material has been covered pretty much, but I’d like to see more of their later years with News Matrix. So far, only quick rejoins have been spotted. Their first era opens were of course, on TVARK.

Yes, there are still some holes missing in this market, as you can see.

Presque Isle:

WAGM: Would love to see Primetime News usage, one of my favorite themes and I wish they had clips up of it. The WAGM 2004 theme was uniquely them and I wish video of it would pop up back online.

WMTW: Earwitness News, nothing I know of besides an update with audio on NMSA. More from Real News, Primetime News and Impact (there isn’t much from all three around).

I can spot you on a couple of these. I was in Aroostook County for a couple of days in '05 and managed to get the morning, 5:30, 6 & 11 PM editions of WAGM's news when they were using the 2004 theme. I will have to find the tapes.

As for the WMTW stuff I can help on the Impact-era. I recorded newscasts from a couple of timeslots in 2003, and each timeslot in summer of '04. I think those are spread across several tapes as well. Any of the stuff from December 2003 that you can find on YouTube is what I've uploaded so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Any footage of KTVU using Brave New World as their daytime/weekend theme in the mid-90s. I think a small sliver of an intro appeared in some other story, possibly with a reporter talking over it, but it was definitely the slower-tempo v.2 update (I first heard the full close on 80sTVThemes 20 years ago, ripped straight from the demo, I assume he chose that cut because he lived in the Bay Area during that time and knew what they were using).

UPDATE: Oops, I didn't realize there was a full 1993 noon newscast on YT already. NMSA says it ended in 1995, that must be when Michael Randall's morning and daytime alternate themes debuted. I was never aware, since I never saw the noon news (and didn't realize Frank Sommerville was anchoring at Channel 2 that far back)...

• 1 month later...

Let's see-- there's a lot of stuff I'd love to see:

Local

• More of KRON from their "24 Hour News Service" era
  • More of pre-2002 WNYW (especially Fox 5 Live and its' convoluted history)
  • More of KCOP's Real News (which is pretty scarce)
  • NECN/UPN38 Prime News (both of which there aren't much of)
  • KSTP (from the mid 90s, and anything of their overnight/ANC combo newscasts)
  • More of CIVT when it was "VTV"/Vancouver Live (their theme was pretty awesome)

National

• More of Headline News from June 1999 to August 2001 (when they had the color-coded Watches, which was a pretty cool look and gimmick), it's pretty rare.

Archived