The Wish List

Ntropolis

The Classic Video thread has to be one of my favorite parts of TVNT. I've enjoyed seeing how TV stations where I grew up and where I live now used to look and have evolved over the years. I get excited every time someone finds something new on Youtube, which got me thinking: What "undiscovered" vintage clips are you waiting to see?

It can be eras, opens, promos that have yet to "resurface" after they originally aired.

My "wish list":

Hampton Roads

• Pretty much any daypart newscast other than 11pm up until the '90s. There are bits and pieces of morning and noon news clips, but I'd really love to see how the morning and noon newscasts looked at the time, especially WAVY's Wall to Wall/1st-gen Newswire opens.
  • More WVEC during the Turn To 'update" era (1990-1992). This article from the Daily Press describes the new opens ("The station also added a flashier opening to its newscasts. Camera shots were taken of a river at daybreak for the morning newscast, of traffic at midday for the noon show, of a harbor for the 5:30 report, of an orange sky at dusk for 6 p.m. and of the nighttime harbor lights for the 11 p.m. report.") but all we've seen is
    . I also wonder if there was a talent open for the weekday newscasts.
  • WVEC's full version of the "Spirit of Hampton Roads" Turn To song
  • WTKR in very late 1991/very early 1992. They began using this
    and the "Hampton Roads' #1 News Source" slogan in late 1991 until they changed it again for February 1992 sweeps. Jim Hale also replaced Bob Rathbun as sports director in December of 1991, which makes me wonder if there could have been a different open used during this period.
  • More WTKR during the TV-3 News (1994-95) and middle of the NewsChannel 3 (1998-2002) eras. There's another WTKR open from the beginning of the Ignitor era that needs to be found.
  • Pretty much anything from WVEC and WTKR from before 1985/86 (WVEC Corinthian era, and WTAR/WTKR's muddy early 80s music and theme history)

Elsewhere

• I'd be thankful to see anything from Wilmington because this is where I live now, especially any newscasts from WWAY before the mid 2000s. There's not a whole lot on Youtube.
  • Anything from the Greenville/Washington/New Bern market. There's a huge dry spot of WITN from the early 80s up until 1998, save for
    early into the long-running "Eastern Carolina's News Channel" logo.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Phoenix wish list, by station:

KTVK

-Anything from the early 80s (which, for KTVK, is 1982-86). The News Image and Turn To eras are criminally underrepresented.

KPHO

-Who knows if we'll ever see this, but mid-70s "Eyewitness News" (MCTYW era) and late 70s "News 5" (Part of Your Life) would be cool.

-Most of my KPHO wants have been fulfilled just in the last two months, though.

-Non-10pm newscasts from 1994/1995

KSAZ

-TV10 News (late 1982) and NewsCenter 10 Mk I (1983-84) presentation/clips. Surprisingly lacking!

-Additional stuff, namely the theme song and additional non-10pm newscasts, from The Vision era

-1994 (opens with an alternate VO, early Arizona Prime) and 1995 (10 News) material

KPNX

-Early 80s

-The newly unearthed 1989-90 transition era out of We're Going Where You're Going to what appears to be Real News with TVbD graphics

KNXV

-The first News 15 at 10 (August 1, 1994)

KTVW

-Just about anything prior to the late 1990s. KTVW first produced local news in 1980

KDRX/KTAZ

-The KNXV-produced Telemundo newscast of the late 90s

-Additional KDRX-era material

-You're lucky I recorded audio of newscasts in 2010 or 2011 or else we'd have no idea of these other themes!

Generally

-Material pertaining to the affiliation switch

The Classic Video thread has to be one of my favorite parts of TVNT. I've enjoyed seeing how TV stations where I grew up and where I live now used to look and have evolved over the years. I get excited every time someone finds something new on Youtube, which got me thinking: What "undiscovered" vintage clips are you waiting to see?

It can be eras, opens, promos that have yet to "resurface" after they originally aired.

My "wish list":

Hampton Roads

• Pretty much any daypart newscast other than 11pm up until the '90s. There are bits and pieces of morning and noon news clips, but I'd really love to see how the morning and noon newscasts looked at the time, especially WAVY's Wall to Wall/1st-gen Newswire opens.
  • More WVEC during the Turn To 'update" era (1990-1992). This article from the Daily Press describes the new opens ("The station also added a flashier opening to its newscasts. Camera shots were taken of a river at daybreak for the morning newscast, of traffic at midday for the noon show, of a harbor for the 5:30 report, of an orange sky at dusk for 6 p.m. and of the nighttime harbor lights for the 11 p.m. report.") but all we've seen is
    . I also wonder if there was a talent open for the weekday newscasts.
  • WVEC's full version of the "Spirit of Hampton Roads" Turn To song
  • WTKR in very late 1991/very early 1992. They began using this
    and the "Hampton Roads' #1 News Source" slogan in late 1991 until they changed it again for February 1992 sweeps. Jim Hale also replaced Bob Rathbun as sports director in December of 1991, which makes me wonder if there could have been a different open used during this period.
  • More WTKR during the TV-3 News (1994-95) and middle of the NewsChannel 3 (1998-2002) eras. There's another WTKR open from the beginning of the Ignitor era that needs to be found.
  • Pretty much anything from WVEC and WTKR from before 1985/86 (WVEC Corinthian era, and WTAR/WTKR's muddy early 80s music and theme history)

Elsewhere

• I'd be thankful to see anything from Wilmington because this is where I live now, especially any newscasts from WWAY before the mid 2000s. There's not a whole lot on Youtube.
  • Anything from the Greenville/Washington/New Bern market. There's a huge dry spot of WITN from the early 80s up until 1998, save for
    early into the long-running "Eastern Carolina's News Channel" logo.

Ever tried junky thrift stores and yard sales?

Oklahoma City

KFOR

- Basically anything from the call letter change up to 1997/98, which has lots of lacking footage. All we have at the moment are two promos from the early ‘90s, a brief open from the mid ‘90s on a NewsActive3 compilation, and plenty of NMSA samples.

KWTV

- Anything pre-early 1980s, during the “Big 9 News” era. Literally have no footage of any kind of this era, except for a station ID and of course, an NMSA sample.

- I also want to know if there’s another open lurking around during “Count On 9”’s lifespan (1982-1985/86). Seems like there would be...

- There’s also a missing era from the mid 90s, when they used “Going Global” and Doc Morgan’s VO. We’ve only seen a news update and promos so far...

KOCO

- Pre-1984. Strangely, KFOR has a boatload of newscasts from the 80s but not so much KOCO and KWTV. Such missing opens include their “Eyewitness News” era (mid 1970s), their first open under the “5 Alive” moniker (I mean the real, full open not the blooper reel footage one), and it would be cool to see their first “Deathstar” ID from the early 80s. There’s also what appears to be an open in a flashback video using “The Electric Horseman” (this possibly debuted when they moved to their new studio in 1980).

- 1992-1994. KOCO seemed to use news opens like candy during that era - first the logo they used for 10 years, then the “square” 5, then the first “circle” 5, and finally they switched to their current logo around the 1994-95 TV season. I’d like to know when exactly each of the three new logos debuted - as well as news footage under the “square” 5. Would be a rare treat!

- 1995-1998, would also like to see more footage from this era under the current logo’s first few years. There’s only been one open on a NewsActive3 compilation so far, and there’s plenty of promos.

KOKH

- Anything pre-1997. I’m specifically talking about the “Newstouch 25” era.

I’m sure we’re also missing some stuff from the 2000s as well.

This goes for Tulsa too — specifically KJRH during the 1980s (especially the late 1980s) and KTUL during 1992-95 when they first used their “Oklahoma’s News 8” branding and logo.

Oklahoma City

KFOR

- Basically anything from the call letter change up to 1997/98, which has lots of lacking footage. All we have at the moment are two promos from the early ‘90s, a brief open from the mid ‘90s on a NewsActive3 compilation, and plenty of NMSA samples.

KWTV

- Anything pre-early 1980s, during the “Big 9 News” era. Literally have no footage of any kind of this era, except for a station ID and of course, an NMSA sample.

- I also want to know if there’s another open lurking around during “Count On 9”’s lifespan (1982-1985/86). Seems like there would be...

- There’s also a missing era from the mid 90s, when they used “Going Global” and Doc Morgan’s VO. We’ve only seen a news update and promos so far...

KOCO

- Pre-1984. Strangely, KFOR has a boatload of newscasts from the 80s but not so much KOCO and KWTV. Such missing opens include their “Eyewitness News” era (mid 1970s), their first open under the “5 Alive” moniker (I mean the real, full open not the blooper reel footage one), and it would be cool to see their first “Deathstar” ID from the early 80s. There’s also what appears to be an open in a flashback video using “The Electric Horseman” (this possibly debuted when they moved to their new studio in 1980).

- 1992-1994. KOCO seemed to use news opens like candy during that era - first the logo they used for 10 years, then the “square” 5, then the first “circle” 5, and finally they switched to their current logo around the 1994-95 TV season. I’d like to know when exactly each of the three new logos debuted - as well as news footage under the “square” 5. Would be a rare treat!

- 1995-1998, would also like to see more footage from this era under the current logo’s first few years. There’s only been one open on a NewsActive3 compilation so far, and there’s plenty of promos.

KOKH

- Anything pre-1997. I’m specifically talking about the “Newstouch 25” era.

I’m sure we’re also missing some stuff from the 2000s as well.

This goes for Tulsa too — specifically KJRH during the 1980s (especially the late 1980s) and KTUL during 1992-95 when they first used their “Oklahoma’s News 8” branding and logo.

Actually, NewsActive3 has two brief KFOR opens from the 1994-97 period; but yeah, there are a quite a few more from that era that are missing, as is with the 1990-94 packages. For KWTV, I've only found two opens from the period from 1988 to 1994, one on one of NA3's compilations and another from the Clinton inauguration that is on another channel. There are some missing KOKH opens and talent bumps from 1997 to 2000 (the gold package and Fox promo package eras), but NewsActive3 does have some opens from the early Sinclair-ization era (2003-06).

Seeing the wish list makes me want to post my own wish list. Here's what I am looking for in terms of the Knoxville market:

WTVK

- The TV-26 News era (mid 1970s, WTVK used its own version of the Harry Reasoner/Barbara Walters ABC News intro)

- The Metro 26 News era (late 1970s, WTVK used Vangelis' "Pulstar" during this era)

- The NewsCenter 26 era (1980s, WTVK used Frank Gari's "Hello News" from 1981 through 1985)

- The WTVK NewsCenter era (late 1980s, WTVK was affiliated with CBS for a short time in 1988 and may have been using a TVbD package during that period)

WBIR

- The Action 10 News era (1980s, WBIR used a custom Tuesday Productions-like theme during this period)

WATE

- The Eyewitness News era (1980s and 1990s, WATE used a number of themes during this period)

As for other markets, I am looking for a couple in particular:

KPOM

- The NewsLine 24 eras (1980s, KPOM in Fayetteville, AR was owned by Griffin Television, owners of KWTV in Oklahoma City, and used the NewsLine title for its newscasts back then)

WHTV/WTZH

- The NewsSource 24/Action News eras (WHTV/WTZH (now WMDN) in Meridian, MS was owned during the 1980s by the Spain family, owners of WTVA and WTVX)

Anything Omaha or Charleston is pretty rare - I literally have a checklist going that I checked off every time an open I’m looking for got posted. Namely:

• That WAGA using the WBNS/KMID graphics.
  • KPNX’s 1992-93 open (I’m sure everyone was looking for that too!)
  • KNTV’s 1984 open when they debuted that 12-year “11” open.
  • A clean WSMV open from the “We’re 4” era.
  • The WNEM 1991 open, even though that was merely just a recycle of their previous open but it’s still a treat.
  • KCCI’s “Good News” open
  • The Phoenix gems uploaded from ewjxn (including KPHO and more of KTSP’s “The Vision”)
  • WTEN’s 1987 Open was a long time coming as well.

Tampa Bay:

WTSP

Anything Don Harrison era (79-81)

Any WLCY 1978 and prior

WFLA

Basically, anything prior to 1985:

Spirit of Tampa Bay/Gapped 8/Part of Your Life '81 and prior

Columbus, OH:

WBNS

Strangely enough, their mid '90s ('93-'96) era is rare (Tomato logo)

Did you know there’s also a rare KMGH era from the mid 80s?

This commercial break shows somes promo slides with “Turn To News”, but unlike KMGH’s 1986 open with said theme the slides have Roger Thompson instead of Charlie Van Dyke as well as “News 7” instead of “KMGH 7 News”.

KMGH has had a boatload of missing stuff over the years - glad a lot more from that station has been turning up.

I second the Tampa Bay market material. I have always wondered how there is so much vintage material from similar cities like New Orleans, Orlando, and San Antonio but not Tampa.

I want to see more affiliate switch material but from earlier years like:

1979-1980 when there were a slew of ABC/NBC swaps in Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Atlanta, and Dayton and the reversals of Jacksonville in 1988 from WTLV and Dayton in 2004 from WKEF.

New Year’s Day 1989 affiliate switches in West Palm Beach due to the Miami swaps caused by NBC’s 1987 purchase of WTVJ.

Also the following material:

Dayton pre-1990

Tampa pre-1985 sans WTVT

Jacksonville WTLV 1975-1987 (not a lot from that station and era but there seems to be tons of WJKS material)

West Palm Beach pre-1989 especially WPEC and WTVX

Pittsburgh pre-1985 especially WIIC and early WPXI

Image Campaigns that are on the NMSA vocally but not on video like WPEC’s Hello and Turn To campaigns and WTVX’s The Spirit of.

I also want to add vintage news videos that vanished off the internet and want back.

KDKA 1980 newscast from the night the Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XIV. It was posted on KDKA’s website years ago but after many site updates disappeared. If someone or the station could post it on YouTube, it would be a great compliment to the commercials during the game taped from KDKA.

Vintage station blooper videos. There was a great extensive one from WTSP from the mid-80s that was on YT for a week or two about 10 years ago but Gannett put a copyright claim in and the video got yanked never to be seen again. There were a few from WDSU that got privatized or pulled.

While I've gone through my Phoenix list, good grief do we need more Salt Lake City...

KUTV

Material from between 1983 and 1989 (KUTV's 1990 theme debuted in 1989). We have a fantastic image song from 1988 or so:

Also missing would be stuff from 1991 or 1992.

KTVX

Anything, and I mean anything, from either 1983-84 or 1986 to 1999. This is a big gaping hole. There's at least one additional Non-Stop package to be had along with who knows what else.

KSL

KSL's list of items is short (we have a surprising amount of KSL), but I believe there to be a missing? Non-Stop package from around 1987-88. The other KSL item that would be rare but missing is the 11-month-long news share with KXIV (now KJZZ-TV) from 1991-92.

KSTU

This list got shorter recently, but some mid-90s KSTU would certainly bridge the gap between the "Fox News at Nine"/launch era and their more conventional late 90s look.

KSL

KSL's list of items is short (we have a surprising amount of KSL), but I believe there to be a missing? Non-Stop package from around 1987-88. The other KSL item that would be rare but missing is the 11-month-long news share with KXIV (now KJZZ-TV) from 1991-92.

I wonder if they ever debuted a new set of opens when they moved to their new studio in 1984, or if they kept the 1981 open? There’s also an open I’ve never seen before (possibly the missing Non-Stop one) in this video (at 3:13):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnpSeWOF9w

Surprisingly enough, even though it is a large market, Atlanta’s got a few holes in it as well:

WSB-TV - I want to know what exactly they were using between 1978 and 1980, if they were using “News People” into 1980 or if they debuted the first 1980 theme in 1979.

WAGA-TV - We’ve pretty much found everything after seeing that WBNS-esque open three months ago, but apparently they began using Chris Clausen in 1992. I wonder if they had another open or they simply dubbed over John B. Wells with Clausen? Hmmm...

WXIA-TV - We are missing a bunch of stuff from the mid 1980s. Apparently they began using TVbD late in 1983, and there’s another open using TVbD on NewsActive3’s channel. There’s also another TVbD open on the 1985 TVbD demo as well. We are also missing some opens with “Great News” when they debuted it in 1986.

WGCL-TV - I don’t think so, but I wonder if they used Doug Paul in any of their news opens? I know the 1989 open has an unknown VO, the 1993-95 opens Have Eric Gordon, and of course the 1995 opens have Jim Cutler, but it just seems weird that Doug isn’t heard on any of their opens.

To add a couple...

More of WCSC from this era... early 90s (or more Charleston in general)

Also, years ago (I want to say back in 2003) WVEC had their entire 40th anniversary special from 1993 available online. I haven’t seen it since, and when I did it was a low-bitrate Real Media video on a dialup connection. There’s an image campaign from the early 80s that was in there we’re missing, as well as more vintage WVEC.

I definitely want to see more video from New Orleans. Given all that's been posted, it's still rather hard to find anything vintage from that market on eBay, thrift stores, or elsewhere. In many cases, I've been very lucky to come across stuff like that.

It would also be great to see more CNN Headline News broadcasts, too, especially from after they moved to CNN Center. Their copyright ID bumper from that period was awesome, since it was basically like a rapidly moving tour of the newsroom and editing booths. This is how it looked when they were at their old Techwood studios (at 2:29).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=ZrLovsol_Ps;m=2;s=29

I definitely want to see more video from New Orleans. Given all that's been posted, it's still rather hard to find anything vintage from that market on eBay, thrift stores, or elsewhere. In many cases, I've been very lucky to come across stuff like that.

Probably because some of the stations’ archive footage was swallowed up by Hurricane Katrina. If anything, it would be great to have more WVUE (including anything pre-1983 using “TuesdayC”, the first wave of “NewsCaster” when they used Pulitzer-type graphics, and the “Advantage” era after switching to Fox). WDSU would be basically anything pre-1982 and we’ve pretty much found everything WWL.

My wish list

Boston

WCVB/WBZ: 6pm hour-long newscasts from 1985 until 1997 (on that year, 'BZ switched to the current 5-6:30pm block, while 'CVB did the same in 1994)

Providence

WJAR/WPRI: any newscast or station ID from 1990 until 2000 (the 1994 WJAR open using Advantage is impossible to find)

Atlanta

WSB/WAGA/WXIA: 6pm hour-long newscasts from the early 1980s until 1994. Also, I'd like to see something from the transition of WXIA's old 11Alive logo to the current one (1993)

Charlotte

WBTV/WSOC: any newscast between 1999 and 2004.

Toronto

CFTO/CBLT: any newscast between 1998 and 2002.

Archived