WBIN-TV Derry, NH (the future home of Univision 50 Boston)

Anthony Buchanan

I truly do know that Univision is now in the process of finalizing the purchase of WBIN-TV Derry, NH/Boston, MA from Binnie Media Group & I truly do think that Univision might dump WUNI-TV as its affliation partner and to convert WBIN into a Univision O&O station, but I don't know for sure.

I truly do know that Univision is now in the process of finalizing the purchase of WBIN-TV Derry, NH/Boston, MA from Binnie Media Group & I truly do think that Univision might dump WUNI-TV as its affliation partner and to convert WBIN into a Univision O&O station, but I don't know for sure.

Entravision renewed the affiliations for it's Univision stations (including WUNI) last month, so WBIN becoming Univision O&O will not happen until 2026 at the earliest.

So I guess Univision could go the easy way by purchasing WUNI from Entravision for a undisclosed price. That way, WUNI could be a Univision O&O station and that WBIN can simulcast WUNI full-time so that it can get maximum, free-to-air coverage throughout the Boston market.

The end result is that Univision can brand the two stations as Univision Boston. Would it affect viewers in Connecticut? I'm not really sure about that!

What was the point of buying a station only to sign a contract against yourself? Anyone care to explain some rationale?

While we have no insight into this particular matter, let's look elsewhere. Why does CBS own KSTW in Seattle while having no real interest in taking away the CBS affiliation from KIRO?

The answer is, as usual: Money. They can use it as leverage when negotiating with KIRO. They have a presence in the market should the "doomsday scenario" of a huge affiliation shuffle happen. Companies aren't out to run stations, they're out to make money. Right now, owning the CW station and getting affiliate revenue from KIRO makes CBS money.

Apparently, Univision thinks owning two stations in a market while having another company run the station affiliated with them is going to make them money. And they're probably right.

Why does CBS own KSTW in Seattle while having no real interest in taking away the CBS affiliation from KIRO?

The answer is, as usual: Money. They can use it as leverage when negotiating with KIRO. They have a presence in the market should the "doomsday scenario" of a huge affiliation shuffle happen. Companies aren't out to run stations, they're out to make money. Right now, owning the CW station and getting affiliate revenue from KIRO makes CBS money.

Same thing in Atlanta with WUPA and WGCL.

While we have no insight into this particular matter, let's look elsewhere. Why does CBS own KSTW in Seattle while having no real interest in taking away the CBS affiliation from KIRO?

Apparently, Univision thinks owning two stations in a market while having another company run the station affiliated with them is going to make them money. And they're probably right.

It's all stupid. Why go through the effort of buying a second station then a week later cripple yourself? It would be like if NBC bought a second Houston station then reupped with KPRC.

The standalone CBS owned CW affiliates aren't in the same boat and frankly cashing out there would the best idea.

Most likely, WBIN-TV will maintain its status as a English-language independent station in the interim until 2026. The reason why I'm saying this is because WUTF has a good free-to-air signal that covers the Boston and Manchester areas & that having a simulcast isn't necessary at all! :)

If not, Univision will lease WBIN-TV (depsite owning it) to Entravision so that it can park its existing Univision affiliation (inherited from channel 27) there & that WUNI-TV (the transmitter/license assets) can be sold to NBCUniversal. Also, the non-license assets of WUNI can be sold to Entravision.

The end result is that NBC Boston can have 2 full-power signals (in both HD and SD) on channels 13 and 27 & that Univision Boston can be rebranded as Univision 50 Boston if they wished to do so.

Archived