Is NBCU launching Telemundo Connecticut?

Anthony Buchanan

How is this going to affect Springfield up north since they split it through WDMR-CD? They might have to purchase that station at least to reach the Pioneer Valley where WVIT cannot (or finally take the useless 'never was' Fox affiliate WFXQ-CD off Nexstar's hands and put it there).

Otherwise...I actually like that they're doubling down on Telemundo and done with trying to out-Univision Univision, along with making it clear it isn't whatever MundoFox/Max was and should be a prime network. They're doing their own thing and NBCU is giving it better backing than it ever did in the past.

I was wondering if Telemundo Connecticut might replace Cozi TV on 30.2 for over-the-air viewers or if NBCU might take over the operations of WRDM-CD/WDMR-CD but what about Providence? :)

I might have a very good feeling that NBCU might step in to buy WZME-TV 43 Bridgeport & to rebrand the lower-rated station as Telemundo 43. But that won't happen for now!

I don’t blame them. Telemundo’s coming up against Univision and apparently for the first time ever they won the entire week over this past summe.

And right now Telemundo is just plain outspending Univision... who is really struggling to keep alive in some cities.

City after city ...

Univision needs that Televisa cash(IPO) infusion asap.

And right now Telemundo is just plain outspending Univision... who is really struggling to keep alive in some cities.

City after city ...

Univision needs that Televisa cash(IPO) infusion asap.

Very true. Are things like UniMás and some of the other ventures are worth them funding?

Cleveland or Columbus will be next. Mark my words.

To my knowledge, Cleveland is the largest market without a full power Telemundo station. Cleveland and Columbus account for a majority of Ohio's Hispanic population. Ohio's Hispanic population is largely concentrated in these two metro areas and continues to grow. It's grown 89% since 2000. In 2010, almost a quarter of Columbus' new immigrants came from the Caribbean and Latin America, while Latin American born immigrants accounted for 22% of Cleveland's new immigrants.

NBC has been in these markets before. They were very successful with WCMH.

The audience is there, and will continue to grow. Imagine the ad revenue from potential viewers. It'd be foolish for them not to reenter the markets with Telemundo. Plus, a Telemundo station would give Univision in both markets a run for its' money.

Cleveland or Columbus will be next. Mark my words.

To my knowledge, Cleveland is the largest market without a full power Telemundo station. Cleveland and Columbus account for a majority of Ohio's Hispanic population. Ohio's Hispanic population is largely concentrated in these two metro areas and continues to grow. It's grown 89% since 2000. In 2010, almost a quarter of Columbus' new immigrants came from the Caribbean and Latin America, while Latin American born immigrants accounted for 22% of Cleveland's new immigrants.

NBC has been in these markets before. They were very successful with WCMH.

The audience is there, and will continue to grow. Imagine the ad revenue from potential viewers. It'd be foolish for them not to reenter the markets with Telemundo. Plus, a Telemundo station would give Univision in both markets a run for its' money.

I disagree totally. NBC's business strategy will not take them anywhere they aren't already.

NBC Boston, Telemundo 20 San Diego, Telemundo Washington and now Telemundo Connecticut come from the same thing: NBCU's desire to operate (virtual or otherwise) twinsticks of NBC and Telemundo, with comprehensive news services, in all of its nine owned-station markets.

You could even throw in the launch of news on WWSI and WNEU as part of this trend.

In the case of NBC Boston, the network wrested the affiliation away simply because it wanted to own, not affiliate.

The same was the case with San Diego, though the network had to sever ties with one of its longer-standing affiliates and found itself needing to build up supplemental OTA and Mexican cable coverage it lost in the shuffle.

In Washington, ZGS — which long was Telemundo's Entravision equivalent, though it might have to share the title with Serestar now — cashed out in the spectrum auction. Even if it hadn't, NBC might have bought WZDC and rebooted it.

And the existing ZGS Telemundo service in the Connecticut DMA did not offer news. It is being replaced, though the consequences for Springfield are unclear. (For that matter, how much is WRIW tied to these stations?) The DMA is H-DMA #29 and is comparable in rank to some other markets in which Telemundo has news-producing affiliates, such as Salt Lake City (Serestar), Charlotte (Cox), and Midland-Odessa (Raycom).

I agree that "Telemundo Ohio" would fill a void, especially given that there is no Spanish-language TV station broadcasting for most of Ohio and WQHS still lacks local news. (Cleveland is severely underweight as a Hispanic DMA on the whole — markets like Yakima, Providence and Kansas City are larger.) But NBC doesn't own a television station in the state of Ohio. So NBC isn't going to be the one making it happen.

Now all of NBC's market clusters will be dual-network operations.

So I have a very good feeling that NBCU might rebrand Telemundo Boston (WNEU-TV Merrimack/Manchester, NH and WBTS-DT3 Boston, MA) as Telemundo Nueva Inglaterra (Telemundo New England) before the end of the 2018, probably in December!

But there's also huge news, NBCU might relaunch WNEU's news department in December so that it could now focus on stories coming from Boston and Hartford. It will give WUNI a run for its money! :)

If NBCU chose this plan, I might really think that Telemundo Nueva Inglaterra's signal would reach parts of 4 of New England's 6 states (unlike Univision Nueva Inglaterra, which has a signal that only covers Connecticut & parts of Massachusetts) and that it will be very regionally focused & very competitive! :)

Archived