WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

I smell something is coming here... the CBS O&O mandate is coming?

It's colored exactly like a good portion of the CBS O&O fleet (white CBS eye device, gold channel number). And the W J Z blocks are enough of a distinction between WBZ and WCCO's distinctive logos.

I'd safely say this IS their new permanent logo, and if they are going to get standardized graphics, this would be the logo for it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this is part of that, I'm surprised nobody has forced them to adopt the actual CBS eye logo and not their weird trace of it.

.....And get rid of that re-traced Group-W 13 font while they at it. If KPIX can use the legit font, why not 'JZ?

Yep. Never thought the day would come. WJZ is getting the CBS O&O look.

The shoe will drop when you hear that familiar "ten-note tune" we never thought this station would get. And another shoe will drop if they finally ditch their twenty-year old set.

Hope someone would video capture the Swan Song of Chroma Cues, whenever that comes.

If this is part of that, I'm surprised nobody has forced them to adopt the actual CBS eye logo and not their weird trace of it.

I feel like this might be an "evolutionary" logo and not the actual "new" logo.

Well, during the 2013 look many stations used an out of proportion CBS eye, so...

I wouldn't be surprised if something more "official" is coming, though. The promo seems to differ between a non-filled "WJZ" and a dark-grey filled "WJZ". If they're going to have adult supervision with this new look, they'll have to pick one.

And traced or not, that logo makes me wistful for a KYW logo with the Westinghouse "3" that we will likely never get. :(

I was scanning YouTube when I saw these promos. It looks to be new B-Roll. Judge for yourself.

[spoiler=Speculation]My Speculadar 5000 says, that this B-roll will be used with the next mandated graphics. It looks edited to appear better with the lights shining off windows, like other stations have done.

All I can say is don’t expect anything further this year. It wouldn’t make sense to just mandate in the middle of December at the end of the year. The new year would be a “fresh new start”.

Having launched many graphics packages in the past, I would just like to throw into the conversation that it's not like there is some rule that we have to launch on the start of sweeps or a holiday - honestly, it just comes down to whenever it is convenient for everyone involved. Usually during a graphics launch, you want the art director and production manager present to make sure everything goes smoothly and I doubt they want to show up on New Year's Eve/Day to launch a graphics package.

I was scanning YouTube when I saw these promos. It looks to be new B-Roll. Judge for yourself.

[spoiler=Speculation]My Speculadar 5000 says, that this B-roll will be used with the next mandated graphics. It looks edited to appear better with the lights shining off windows, like other stations have done.

Those aren't promos.

Those aren't promos.
I meant opens. I don’t know why I typed promos

Having launched many graphics packages in the past, I would just like to throw into the conversation that it's not like there is some rule that we have to launch on the start of sweeps or a holiday - honestly, it just comes down to whenever it is convenient for everyone involved. Usually during a graphics launch, you want the art director and production manager present to make sure everything goes smoothly and I doubt they want to show up on New Year's Eve/Day to launch a graphics package.

Didn’t think of it that way.

Same thing goes for sets. People ask why not the morning -obviously if your not confident enough to do it then your not ready.

The logo was a surprise for me as they got a new truck and weather vehicle with the old logos. Additionally they were still filming promos around town with their cube for the holidays.

1) I can live with them dropping "Eyewitness News" from branding.

2) Must keep Chroma Cues.

3) New set go for it but keep it with Baltimore feel and tribute to Jerry Turner and Al Sanders.

4) Graphics go ahead and get ones but not the O&O ones or just use modified version of the current O&O ones but add a Baltimore feel.

5) Group W font is another must keep.

I just have a feeling 2018 will be year of changing at TV Hill for WJZ. I just hope Chroma Cues makes it it to the 30 year mark.

Sounds like I need to make a trip to Baltimore and watch WJZ.

"Remember one thing there is only one JZ."

You can always watch the live news casts at cbsbaltimore.com

WJZ has long used their helicopter to film outside shots of the metro area for decades, at least since the general style of opens began in 1998.

Assuming that WJZ will adopt standardized graphics, I really hope that they use live shots and not still images like quite a few O&Os have done.

This. I mean, I can't think of that many instances where a graphical change was intentionally timed for sweeps or a holiday. (And said promo I'm presuming was done by WJZ's art department, and it looks to me like they will need time to sort out the proper display of the new logo. I'm confident in saying that's going to take a lot longer than we think.)

The dropping of EWN made sense because it happened right before November sweeps. That was a no-brainer. A graphics switch? I'll safely say that's about six months away at least.

The logo was a surprise for me as they got a new truck and weather vehicle with the old logos. Additionally they were still filming promos around town with their cube for the holidays.

CBS could afford to pay for new covers on those vehicles, if they wanted to. It shouldn't cost that much for replacements, at the least a few hundred dollars.

And that's why this rollout is going to take a lot longer than you and I think it will. Why have covers on these vehicles with a new logo design that (possibly) might not be finished or set in stone just yet, where there's already an existing logo that itself is still usable and doesn't need to be totally discarded, but retired gracefully?

There's something seriously wrong with the CBS eye in those spots. It looks... droopy... for a lack of a better word. The upper left and bottom right sections aren't complete curves, more straight lines. I can't believe an O&O can't even get their own logo right.

There's something seriously wrong with the CBS eye in those spots. It looks... droopy... for a lack of a better word. The upper left and bottom right sections aren't complete curves, more straight lines. I can't believe an O&O can't even get their own logo right.

The Eye seen worse days...

image.png?width=318&height=241

I had to compare the two CBS eye devices for CBS Corporation and the one used for WJZ side-by-side, cause I was getting the same impression. The difference is subtle, but once you realize it, you can't get it out of your head.

9111B1D5-0ABF-4B15-A6DB-0A81C2B93144.thumb.jpeg.21b54475298c850e49599ba773d11fa8.jpeg

Lou Dorfsman is spinning in his grave.

The Eye seen worse days...

image.png?width=318&height=241

Funny thing is, the "WJZ" in that logo was traced over from the Group W font. It wasn't until later that KC Robertson (or someone) thought that an insanely stretched out Helvetica could mimick the traced lettering.

Archived