WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double posting to confirm the new graphics did not debut tonight. I'm honestly not surprised although I sure hope this transition period ends sooner than later.

Appears there's a horizontal version of the logo as well:

[MEDIA=twitter]947663715557629952[/MEDIA]

That looks more like they just had to make it fit properly on the felt hat. But peep those old mic flags. Looks like we're gonna get a mix matched look

This is certainly a confusing roll out of a new Eye-dentity. First they change the name to “WJZ News” which is fine on its own. But they started rolling out a new logo on some promotions about a month ago and a week or two after that the promotions stopped using Helvetica in favor of the CBS graphics. Then a few weeks ago they launched a ticker in the morning that does not match the current O&O look. Last week the morning show made much a do about their new mugs with said new logo. Then they distributed jackets with new logos where their anchors and reporters promoted them all mentioning Under Armour - however said jackets haven’t debuted on air.

Also for what it’s worth their TOTH ID and bug (that covers up the CBS logo) was updated recently to their current/old logo but an animation of sorts was added. It’s nothing major but it’s like a light moving around the edges. It’s something thata not a big deal but it’s a peculiar change.

This is certainly a confusing roll out of a new Eye-dentity. First they change the name to “WJZ News” which is fine on its own. But they started rolling out a new logo on some promotions about a month ago and a week or two after that the promotions stopped using Helvetica in favor of the CBS graphics. Then a few weeks ago they launched a ticker in the morning that does not match the current O&O look. Last week the morning show made much a do about their new mugs with said new logo. Then they distributed jackets with new logos where their anchors and reporters promoted them all mentioning Under Armour - however said jackets haven’t debuted on air.

Also for what it’s worth their TOTH ID and bug (that covers up the CBS logo) was updated recently to their current/old logo but an animation of sorts was added. It’s nothing major but it’s like a light moving around the edges. It’s something thata not a big deal but it’s a peculiar change.

In some ways it reminds me of what KYW did when they transitioned to "CBS 3". It was about a month-long transition period, starting with an image promo. On the 1st of the year all promos changed to the new logo and name, but the old stuff lingered for a week until they debuted a new look. Of course there was a good reason for all of this - a new news team - but it still felt staggered.

...and that's without mentioning that said look lasted all of nine months before being replaced.

Three different logo variations on screen.

A16EDFD1-CE6B-4A37-9ACA-5BD13DEF1AD1.thumb.jpeg.77fbb7bd354db35c5927fa7f29335416.jpeg

This package actually started with an opening “WJZ with the Ravens” which used the old logo but the text wasn’t Helvetica. I’m not quite sure what it was but it was definitely not HD and probably not SD widescreen quality. It also appeared like it wasn’t even the right frame rate.

27625FFD-F07C-4429-8531-556D66A9ADD9.thumb.jpeg.ff3063aeaeac9af33286e722e2d3713b.jpeg

48256AC7-C0AC-4C89-A4FE-903A1ADD35BE.thumb.jpeg.0f0e803c4b746435ec5e4aecfd2aea87.jpeg

9BCBBB2B-1A0B-426B-9A40-5340F68D1759.thumb.jpeg.a2899e6b1f48508deb9a15808a4e9dd3.jpeg

9CFE4B21-2756-4874-B909-37CD4D180B90.thumb.jpeg.f60ceb04f3e448f8db94492186eb485f.jpeg

I completely forgot this version of their logo that’s in the OTS.

2613BE09-38F3-4532-838B-A57CECE614FC.thumb.jpeg.7831a909def1e9b15ecefe287a58dc94.jpeg

Here they are using the new logo and font on old graphics for a promotion of Dr. Phil. The white line below “Today at 3PM” was there for some reason throughout the spot.

8861FF63-9F0D-4A25-88F7-6F91F6E6A7C1.thumb.jpeg.d5f84d05f571d600150774fb0e8f4387.jpeg

[ATTACH=full]4991[/ATTACH]

This package actually started with an opening “WJZ with the Ravens” which used the old logo but the text wasn’t Helvetica. I’m not quite sure what it was but it was definitely not HD and probably not SD widescreen quality. It also appeared like it wasn’t even the right frame rate.

[ATTACH=full]4993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4992[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4995[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4996[/ATTACH]

Here they are using the new logo and font on old graphics for a promotion of Dr. Phil. The white line below “Today at 3PM” was there for some reason throughout the spot.

[ATTACH=full]4997[/ATTACH]

What a hot mess. I bet the creative team is going to do in-house renovations of the O&O look when they implement it.

That CBS logo... please fix that.

Watch them swear up and down that the CBS logo "it's just fine as it is"...nothing wrong here.

Somebody at WJZ had to sign-off on that thing before the check was cut.

[ATTACH=full]4991[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4992[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4995[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4996[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4997[/ATTACH]

The CBS logo, IMO, looks better on the OTS than on the WJZ logo itself.

Archived