WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

I suspect that 'JZ may also have a camera on the tower. I also believe the 'stick' itself is on 'JZ's property, if so, any view would look straight down on the roof of their building, which might induce vertigo in some viewers

The tower itself is a seperate parcel of land and I believe it is enclosed by the fence around WBALs property. WBAL’s tower cam looks straight down at their satellite farm.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unpopular take here, but it's also refreshing to see promos for syndicated shows look so much better than they previously were. Beforehand, WJZ would just overlay text from that show's "on the next..." promo vid. For example, a Dr. Phil promo on WJZ was just the video they did and all you saw at the end was the show logo in it's respectful graphics pack and "Today 3pm" in maybe Impact font IIRC. Now it's cleaned up to reflect the new CBS Mandate graphics, which is perfect.

Wasn't sure if this would fit in discussion, but since the new graphics on WJZ are tied into it, I'll lay this post here.

Here is a compilation of their morning news opens. With that I think I’m done with posting videos as I got all the opens and a set montage.

Also I like the redesigned (but kept it similar) ticker.

Nitpicky, but they need to get a nighttime shot of the tower to go with the 11p and early morning newscasts instead of using the same shot they use for daytime shows. Can't be that hard to do.

Nitpicky, but they need to get a nighttime shot of the tower to go with the 11p and early morning newscasts instead of using the same shot they use for daytime shows. Can't be that hard to do.

The tower wouldn’t be visible at night aside from flashing lights. I believe this was taken from a drone and they can’t fly from the night.

From the "There's only one 'JZ era......

[quote name='rkolsen']Here is a compilation of their morning news opens. With that I think I’m done with posting videos as I got all the opens and a set montage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl2RDIe6nv0 Also I like the redesigned (but kept it similar) ticker.[/QUOTE] First off @rkolsen big hand to you for starting off this WHOLE thread and for doing the work of the TVNT people getting the grabs! Secondly, the AM musical transition seems to be a little bit smoother than the evening shows. Letting that music play out some after the intro is 10x better than the abrupt cut-off that was happening the night before. That morning EP should definitely give the PM EP some pointers on letting Fireflies play a bit into the transition, instead of that ugly hard cut. [QUOTE="Spring Rubber, post: 216396, member: 11"]VO sounds EXTRA excited for that 6AM open.[/QUOTE] Probably because his coffee just kicked in. LOL. Nah, it's the same VO track from the PM show (as are all of the AM ones). As an aside, I'm not a fan of the whole ID by the half-hour for the morning shows -- "This is WJZ News This Morning" or "This is WJZ Morning Edition" (which is the show's actual title) would've sounded better there.

Idk, they could do it at dusk. They did
.[ATTACH=full]6323[/ATTACH]

Drones vs Helicopters. Special permits and permission...times have changed

FAA Part 107 states you can fly a drone during civil twilight, which is 30 minutes before sunrise/after sunset. Do some magic in post and I bet you can somewhat make it look like nighttime.

[quote name='KevCor']First off @rkolsen big hand to you for starting off this WHOLE thread and for doing the work of the TVNT people getting the grabs[/QUOTE] Thank you. But I’d like to thank @newsanchor26 for mentioning in the chat box the newscasts were renamed on the guide and that started this whole thing.

I was looking into the filming of the opens and realized a drone wouldn’t work and that their helicopter can’t capture HD video. Here’s what an engineer I talked to said about their bird:

[MEDIA=twitter]1027759358116024321[/MEDIA]

For the helicopter they would have to hire one out or perhaps do the filming when their bird is in the shop (which is when it’s in HD). I don’t think there are any here in Baltimore so they’d have to pay for it to be ferried over. However a production company in conjunction with WBAL rents out their helicopter.

As for drone footage I think it would be difficult to obtain that of the tower. Drones have a maximum altitude of 400’. The tower maxes out at 997’ according to this FCC filing - far higher than a drone can fly

As for drone footage I think it would be difficult to obtain that of the tower. Drones have a maximum altitude of 400’. The tower maxes out at 997’ according to this FCC filing - far higher than a drone can fly

Fun fact: You can fly a drone 400' above a structure within 400' of the structure. So if their tower is 997', you can fly it up to 1,397' within 400' of the tower.

However, the wind that high up might be crazy...

I was looking into the filming of the opens and realized a drone wouldn’t work and that their helicopter can’t capture HD video. Here’s what an engineer I talked to said about their bird:

[MEDIA=twitter]1027759358116024321[/MEDIA]

For the helicopter they would have to hire one out or perhaps do the filming when their bird is in the shop (which is when it’s in HD). I don’t think there are any here in Baltimore so they’d have to pay for it to be ferried over. However a production company in conjunction with WBAL rents out their helicopter.

You can cheat the system by using a gimbal system (like a Ronin) and having the camera operator strapped into the helicopter, shooting out the removed door. I believe I heard WISN and WTMJ have done similar to capture HD aerials because their choppers are similar to WJZ's in that everything seems to be analog up to the transmitter. You probably have to have a mechanic remove the door, but they're designed to be removed anyways.

Archived