WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

They’ve been over the moon. There’s not really much to explore. Pretty much there’s the desk, the cube and soft area aside from the standup area.

Well I can tell you there's at least one thing about that set that probably won't be there in five or ten years, and that's the cube. It's not practical, especially when there's a soft area.

My prediction is that the area that is "the cube" will eventually be converted into a full weather center on set, because it would require minimal change except for maybe removing the glass walls and door, and wiring in some computers and a desk. The placement is good too because the 3x3 wall can be used for full weather instead of the tight green wall shot and it's closer off camera right for the anchors to crosstalk with weather than it is to crosstalk off camera left.

The area that is the "weather center" which is no more than a pod, a touch monitor, and a vertical monitor will likely end up being extra stand up areas for reporters.

I think in theory the idea behind the current placement of things and the cube is ingenious, but practically and in the grand scheme of things I guarantee you once the newness wears off they will be making some changes. Not having a physical weather center on set (though arguably did they have one since the late 90s?) will backfire especially compared to the weather centers that the competition has.

In actuality, it's not necessary to have a "weather center", I know. Most meteorologists can do all their work from an office and then just come onto the set to do their forecast as they're doing now, but when technical issues happen (I.e. clicker not working, jumping ahead too many slides, etc.) or in the case of extended severe weather coverage, it's good to have the weather office on set.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The area that is the "weather center" which is no more than a pod, a touch monitor, and a vertical monitor will likely end up being extra stand up areas for reporters.

I think in theory the idea behind the current placement of things and the cube is ingenious, but practically and in the grand scheme of things I guarantee you once the newness wears off they will be making some changes. Not having a physical weather center on set (though arguably did they have one since the late 90s?) will backfire especially compared to the weather centers that the competition has.

In actuality, it's not necessary to have a "weather center", I know. Most meteorologists can do all their work from an office and then just come onto the set to do their forecast as they're doing now, but when technical issues happen (I.e. clicker not working, jumping ahead too many slides, etc.) or in the case of extended severe weather coverage, it's good to have the weather office on set.

I can see that happening. The pod has already been used. In addition to the 2x2 portrait tower there’s a large portrait monitor to the left of the touch screen.

In this day and age could a laptop or tablet such as a surface be used to control the show? I know WSI has an iPad app not sure about Barron.

Their traffic office is right behind the 3x3 monitor wall and the actual wall. I guess it’s netter that they’re on set as opposed to wherever it originated before. It looked dark and probably regular lighting may spill over to the set. They were setting up the traffic computers during the 3pm hour (makes me wonder why they couldn’t do that say earlier in the day.

Edit: Wanted to add that using the touch screen for the initial forecast with. Bob Turk was iffy as he had to turn to read the numbers. Marty didn’t have trouble. Maybe to prevent them from turning they could put the maps in the prompter.

I can see that happening. The pod has already been used. In addition to the 2x2 portrait tower there’s a large portrait monitor to the left of the touch screen.

In this day and age could a laptop or tablet such as a surface be used to control the show? I know WSI has an iPad app not sure about Barron.

Their traffic office is right behind the 3x3 monitor wall and the actual wall. I guess it’s netter that they’re on set as opposed to wherever it originated before. It looked dark and probably regular lighting may spill over to the set. They were setting up the traffic computers during the 3pm hour (makes me wonder why they couldn’t do that say earlier in the day.

Edit: Wanted to add that using the touch screen for the initial forecast with. Bob Turk was iffy as he had to turn to read the numbers. Marty didn’t have trouble. Maybe to prevent them from turning they could put the maps in the prompter.

I'm not sure. I know that particularly with MAX computers (not sure with Baron) that they are so memory and graphic intensive that there's no real portable way to control it from a laptop or a tablet, unless they VPN into the MAX computers from it but that would come at a loss in quality and would be slow. I may have to consult my friend who is an on-air meteorologist and see what he knows because again I'm not sure.

Traffic and weather should be sharing an office, and again the placement of the cube next to the 3x3 wall and near the traffic office would actually remedy this if they did end up converting the cube into a weather center.

The problem with the cube is that I see that being underutilized for the necessity of it. How many times are they going to have special guests or digital producers on set where that will be needed? The couch area that exists now could cover all those bases and TMPs could move the table if needed, move couch if needed, add a rolling monitor to that area and that would cover that.

As far as the area that is the weather center, I don't believe that was planned out very well in regards to the pod and touchscreen because turning around with the back to the camera is almost unavoidable. I'm shocked they didn't have a small monitor off camera either attached to the robotic camera or on a rolling cart off camera that can be positioned to the right or left out of frame so that they can see what they're pointing to without having to turn around. It just is awkward.

The set has many configurations as far as monitors which means there will be no shortage of standup areas for future use. I don't see the current setup lasting very long though.

Another use for the current "weather center" area is an aux set for sports or special event coverage. I know they talked about keeping the old aux set in the other studio and renovating it for the morning show but another monitor array like a 3x3 in the current weather center area could make the argument for keeping the old aux set invalid, they would probably save a lot of money too not having to renovate that 20+ year old aux set.

I know they talked about keeping the old aux set in the other studio and renovating it for the morning show but another monitor array like a 3x3 in the current weather center area could make the argument for keeping the old aux set invalid, they would probably save a lot of money too not having to renovate that 20+ year old aux set.

FWIW, I haven’t heard anything of that nature. In the Sun article they talked about the rehearsal of the two anchors and Marty being on this set. Additionally Linh and Marty said that this was their new home. They’d need to seriously renovate the newsroom if they wanted the show there (as others mentioned) to make it broadcast ready.

FWIW, I haven’t heard anything of that nature. In the Sun article they talked about the rehearsal of the two anchors and Marty being on this set. Additionally Linh and Marty said that this was their new home. They’d need to seriously renovate the newsroom if they wanted the show there (as others mentioned) to make it broadcast ready.

That too. Either which way, I like the set and it's much improved. They still have work to do though and as far as the cube goes, I hope they rethink that area. It seems like just a waste of space.

Well, I'll Be Damned! I've been crowing about WJZ and it set, and finally, finally after 20 years in the making. (being sarcastic) It has finally arrived, and it fits like a perfect glove.

I'm glad that they finally got a new set and they have a nice CBS mandate set, and I'm really happy for the folks at Malden Ave. The new GM she doing the damn thing, and any word from

K.C. Robertson on the new set? I guess that crickets right now...

You should see the straight down shot WBAL uses. They appear to be the only ones with a camera on the tower.

I suspect that 'JZ may also have a camera on the tower. I also believe the 'stick' itself is on 'JZ's property, if so, any view would look straight down on the roof of their building, which might induce vertigo in some viewers

Morning ticker is still the same layout, but the sponsor is moved to the left side. I thought they’d go with the standard scroll. Also, the bug eschews the social media handles on the bottom.

[ATTACH=full]6319[/ATTACH]

That's a great picture of Mike Schuh there.

I'm a little disappointed with the ticker.

[ATTACH=full]6318[/ATTACH]

Greatest shot ever!!!!

WJZ’s Drone 13 is being put to masterful use, not unlike 20 years ago when their chopper took pictures of the Baltimore skyline for the old set’s backdrop.

[quote name='KevCor']What if.... they reinstate Chroma Cues, use the O&O package and debut the new set? Would TVNT would collectively riot?[/QUOTE] @Weeters What do I win for being right!?!?! [QUOTE="Spring Rubber, post: 216237, member: 11"]They really need to stop doing that hard transition from the Fireflies open to that melancholy production music that they use for the teaser. It's such a jarring and awkward change in music.[/QUOTE] [quote name='rkolsen']Yeah. They’ve been doing that for years. Almost be better if the anchors introduced themselves and then the teaser.[/QUOTE] It worked better when they were using Chroma Cues since it was commissioned for news purposes. Fireflies works as a open, but it doesn't have mellow zone in it that wouldn't be overpowering during a topical/promo/bump.

There is one cut (or is it a heavily remixed cut?) of Chroma Cues 4.0 that theoretically could fit with the O&O open (skip to 2:08). This cut I’d like to see in a resynch video for kicks and goggles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=887VamCkNdg;t=128

Nonetheless it’s very apparent that Like Fireflies was selected on purpose to fit the O&O open right from the beginning. It is a perfect fit time-wise that Chroma Cues 4.0 unfortunately doesn’t exactly have.

How on God’s green earth corporate let them get away with this for so long is beyond me.

The previous GM Jay Newman was a lifer in the CBS/Group W chain, so he was going to go when he wanted.

And CBS clearly let the miserable aesthetics slide because WJZ is profitable (no doubt due to the past stingy nature of Newman) and, while not dominant in the market like in years past, isn’t a total dog like WFOR or WBBM.

The previous GM Jay Newman was a lifer in the CBS/Group W chain, so he was going to go when he wanted.

And CBS clearly let the miserable aesthetics slide because WJZ is profitable (no doubt due to the past stingy nature of Newman) and, while not dominant in the market like in years past, isn’t a total dog like WFOR or WBBM.

Jay Newman was very frugal and stingy and loved the status quo. Hes probably crapping himself now that he retired and saw the new look and said: No no no no no no!!! Whyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure. I know that particularly with MAX computers (not sure with Baron) that they are so memory and graphic intensive that there's no real portable way to control it from a laptop or a tablet, unless they VPN into the MAX computers from it but that would come at a loss in quality and would be slow. I may have to consult my friend who is an on-air meteorologist and see what he knows because again I'm not sure.

you can install VNC on a MAX box and control it from practically anything, anywhere... WTMJ's storm chaser has a laptop that controls a MAX box back at the station that way, and then the output from MAX is encoded and fed back to a cell receiver in the vehicle to feed the big screen in the back... not the best picture quality but it works...

Morning ticker is still the same layout, but the sponsor is moved to the left side. I thought they’d go with the standard scroll. Also, the bug eschews the social media handles on the bottom.

[ATTACH=full]6319[/ATTACH]

probably one of the better tickers in the group, to be honest...

Stop. Vertically. Compressing. Video. Because. Of. A. Lousy. Ticker.

It's 2018, really.

Unfortunately it may be beyond their control and not an easy fix. A lot of those systems are very intricate and a squeezeback (as it's actually called) is just part of the ticker's programming or is just a limitation of the equipment that runs the ticker.

How on God’s green earth corporate let them get away with this for so long is beyond me.

I still stand by my previous belief that the "overstretched" Helvetica was likely not intentional but was probably a limitation of the graphics system they used. What they likely were using for the on-screen graphics was a really old system that did not have HD capability, so in order to make it work with the HD cameras, they "stretched" it from 4:3 to 16:9. As far as the overstretched weather graphics, well again that was probably a limitation of the system and had to be upconverted. If the former GM was as stingy as people say he was, I seriously doubt the production control equipment was up to par by even 2006 standards.

In order to get the new O&O graphics to work on-screen and not be "stretched", I can only imagine they probably had to invest in all new equipment like VizRT and practically rewire the control room. Of course, there are probably lots of things we will never really know for sure.

What they likely were using for the on-screen graphics was a really old system that did not have HD capability, so in order to make it work with the HD cameras, they "stretched" it from 4:3 to 16:9. As far as the overstretched weather graphics, well again that was probably a limitation of the system and had to be upconverted. If the former GM was as stingy as people say he was, I seriously doubt the production control equipment was up to par by even 2006 standards.

I saw a YouTube video of their old graphics and they were specifically trouble shooting the over the shoulders. They were using Chyron HD equipment.

Archived