WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm wondering what the new open will sound and look like and what they will say? Maybe...

"LIVE from WJZ Studios on TV Hill, this is WJZ TV News This morning".

Live from the WJZ Studios on TV Hill, this is WJZ TV News at noon".

So on and so on... I hope I don't hear in your neighborhood, in your community.

You called the "TV Hill" part, and I'm glad that WJZ included that in the VO; 'JZ tying the entity of their historic home is a neat idea for local identity!

AF1QipMlMMy3ehKe18HjUDL6ugCJ_oW92XK41LUygqiu

Now if only we could ask CBS to finally join the 16x9 party in terms of lower thirds.

Do any of the Baltimore Cable Systems that carry WJZ show the SD feed in centercut 4x3?

If that's the case, for anyone in mourning of the stretched Helvetica, just take that picture and stretch it to the full 16x9 aspect and.....voila! The text is stretched again along with the rest of the picture.

Time will tell if people are going nuts much like when WPVI "tried" to use a new version of MCTYW.....

Overall from what I've seen, I think it's a nice upgrade and leaving the logo and the music the way it is kind of keeps a little of the WJZ flavor that's existed for the past 20 or so years..... If it ain't broke...

Do any of the Baltimore Cable Systems that carry WJZ show the SD feed in centercut 4x3?

If that's the case, for anyone in mourning of the stretched Helvetica, just take that picture and stretch it to the full 16x9 aspect and.....voila! The text is stretched again along with the rest of the picture.

Time will tell if people are going nuts much like when WPVI "tried" to use a new version of MCTYW.....

Overall from what I've seen, I think it's a nice upgrade and leaving the logo and the music the way it is kind of keeps a little of the WJZ flavor that's existed for the past 20 or so years..... If it ain't broke...

I haven't checked today. But for the most part their feed is center cut save for CBS This Morning and sports.

Here's my analysis of today's noon newscast via facebook:

1. Chroma Cues JUST DOESN'T FIT ANYMORE!!!!!

2. The CBS Mandate with "Like Fireflies" definitely fits with the broadcast. Very much fits.

3. We didn't get to see much in terms of the weather with temperatures and stuff. Glad we finally have a 7-day forecast over a 5 day forecast.

4. "Live from Television Hill", WELL PLAYED!!! and the first shot of the Candelabra Tower is OUTSTANDING!!!!!

5. I talked to a friend who works in WJZ marketing, she said the doppler radar that has been ordered did not arrive yet. They bought it from KFOR NBC-4 in Oklahoma which will double as their snow/severe weather radar but that will probably be installed right before December.

6. Watched a live run through on facebook with Rick Ritter and Jessica Kartalija. She did really good with it. Very nice feeling of the set, very homely, VERY LARGE.

7. The producers say that the temp set is NOT BEING TORN DOWN, it is actually being converted into where the morning show will be held and also will act as a newsroom of sorts.

8. The memory wall is very good with all the former anchors and personnel that were there. Really does bring out the memories.

9. The backboards of Baltimore are IN FACT LIVE because of this... they have to wear solid colors.

10. Front screen on the desk will have different things if there is breaking news (flashes red) and also will show the top headline as well.

11. According to Jessica K., 25% of the set is still NOT FUNCTIONAL yet as they are still having trouble going to full 1080/1440p. Should be ready by the end of next week.

That interview area holds alot of historical items from TV hill. At least they kept items unlike WBBM when they were trying to find items. I noticed pictures of Al Sanders, Jerry Turner and others.

Notice the WJZ bug was smaller on this video.

On-air, the bug is bigger, it had the time and temp and the WJZ.com and its social stuff.

Probably just me but I’d prefer it if the time was below the bug that way it would have a background most of the time. With the rotating web/social media bug below it.

Yayyyyy!!!! WJZ is FINALLY using CBS graphics!

I’d say the same for WNEM - they were Meredith’s most primitive-looking station until they got similar graphics in June. It appears that 2018, in my opinion, is the year that many TV stations have upped their graphical imaging.

However, I do hope they debut Enforcer soon.

Yayyyyy!!!! WJZ is FINALLY using CBS graphics!

I’d say the same for WNEM - they were Meredith’s most primitive-looking station until they got similar graphics in June. It appears that 2018, in my opinion, is the year that many TV stations have upped their graphical imaging.

However, I do hope they debut Enforcer soon.

I hate to say it, I don't think they're going with the CBS enforcer... WJZ has always had long greater autonomy over their station by staying more in-house, localized than that of current CBS O&O stations... Chroma Cues really doesn't fit the mold anymore.

I listened to the Like Fireflies song, it's pretty catchy to be fair.

Archived