WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think KCBS should upgrade to a monitor since they do KCAL 9’s weekend morning news on the CBS 2 Set. They just use a metal plate to cover the 2 on the desk.

IF KPIX would get the new set, it would make sense since their side multipurpose desk has a monitor already and it changes for what it’s used for.

As a local viewer and lifelong Marylander I find the music situation frustrating. Yes, the graphics and set looks spectacular, but don't tease us with hints of chroma cues during bumpers and some shitty production track/little known pop music song during the intro. Either fully adopt Enforcer and remove all signs of Chroma Cues or keep all cuts of Chroma Cues.

Agreed. You'd think WJZ would have used this change to fix their odd music situation, even if that meant fully embracing Enforcer.

This reminds me of WKBW a bit: after adopting the most recent Scripps pack, the station used this odd mix of MCTYW (bumpers) and Inergy (intros) for a while longer, but it seems that MCTYW has since been dropped. Will WJZ follow the same path? Only time will tell.

KCNC didn’t initially when they got the O&O graphics in 2009. Nor did KTVT.

WFOR/WBFS in South Florida used Moving Forward - while using the CBS O&O graphics in 2011 - for a short while.

It costs money to use music packages like Enforcer, while WJZ owns outright the rights to Chroma Cues and the production music for the open is no doubt royalty-free (especially when Chroma Cues doesn’t have an opening cut short enough for the O&O open).

Not that I’m saying I prefer this hodgepodge, but treat music as if it were a budget item.

IF KPIX would get the new set, it would make sense since their side multipurpose desk has a monitor already and it changes for what it’s used for.

Their current set already looks similar in some areas, so not much would have to be done other than a refresh of the walls in addition to a new desk.

It costs money to use music packages like Enforcer, while WJZ owns outright the rights to Chroma Cues and the production music for the open is no doubt royalty-free (especially when Chroma Cues doesn’t have an opening cut short enough for the O&O open).

If KC really wanted to troll, I think whatever edit they used during the Pinwheel GFX would get pretty close.

I don't think I've ever seen a station look so genuinely excited about a set before. That's the really cool part about all of this.

It all looks pretty nice, even if we've seen most of it already before. I agree about the green room area — it's not the most practical use of studio space. I'm a little surprised they didn't put more nostalgia on the walls too.

The music situation doesn't feel permanent to me.

Keeping it local. With WJZ.com No more CBSBaltimore.com

They had to do wjz.com instead of cbsbaltimore.com due to the radio decision is no more CBS radio if I'm not mistaken?

OH GOD THEY KEPT THE PRODUCTION MUSIC

They are still using their production track. No Enforcer..Watching the livestream. They showed their promo first. Very interesting

No Enforcer? FOR REAL??

How did they not get Enforcer?

Still refreshing to hear Chroma Cues as a bumper.

Chroma Cues bumper!

The music status quo from yesterday remains the case: production music for the intro, Chroma Cues for the bumpers.

THEY KEPT CHROMA CUES AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They STILL have Chroma Cues? Oh. My. God. Get rid of that trash already. It's 2018! At least the new set and graphics look good.

As a local viewer and lifelong Marylander I find the music situation frustrating. Yes, the graphics and set looks spectacular, but don't tease us with hints of chroma cues during bumpers and some shitty production track/little known pop music song during the intro. Either fully adopt Enforcer and remove all signs of Chroma Cues or keep all cuts of Chroma Cues.

Haha, I laughed so hard hearing Chroma Cues, and was low key happy to see they kept a little nostalgia.

Still using Chroma Cues

Yeah.

Not that I’m saying I prefer this hodgepodge, but treat music as if it were a budget item.

I AM SO PISSED. You had one chance to get the music right WJZ, one chance! You blew it!

Hello Max Weather

It looks like they updated to Max Weather but I'm not quite sure.

That's not Max Weather, the maps and the animations make me think this is Baron. Improvement over what they had before nonetheless.

-----

So my initial observations are that they did a very successful first show with little if no hiccups technically which is RARE. With that said, here's four things that need changing:

1. Music

2. The monitor on front of the desk has severe issues when viewed at an angle, an LED screen like that shouldn't be giving off projection scan lines which makes me think this was a really cheap monitor.

3. Move the camera back from the green screen, Marty Bass was way too close to the camera.

4. Where was the tour? You premiere a new set at noon and don't at least give a few wide shots and teases to a full-blown tour in the later shows? They overhype the new set then use tight shots the entire show, that's abnormal.

Archived