WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sure hope WJZ will keep Chroma Cues around in some way after the O&O set and graphics debut.

Otherwise, all of this is much needed and loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue.

Actually, I see them going enforcer, putting chroma cues in a few spots, and keeping the open that they have now. The thing is... They've always been more autonomous than other stations say like WBZ-TV in Boston.

I sure hope WJZ will keep Chroma Cues around in some way after the O&O set and graphics debut.

Otherwise, all of this is much needed and loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue.

Why not have Enforcer but with a six-note Chroma Cues-based musical signature at the end in the place of the "I love Chicago" signature?

Gari did that with Advantage for WFSB.

Actually, I see them going enforcer, putting chroma cues in a few spots, and keeping the open that they have now. The thing is... They've always been more autonomous than other stations say like WBZ-TV in Boston.

Why not have Enforcer but with a six-note Chroma Cues-based musical signature at the end in the place of the "I love Chicago" signature?

Chroma Cues is dead and retired, as it should have been 20 years ago. I know a lot of you have a fondness of it, much like the same fondness I have for KTVU News Theme by Michael Randall, WAGA Eyewitness News by Eddie Horst, Bold Branding News by Joe Hogue, the list goes on and on... But all of the above mentioned packages have died, and by today's standards are all dated and deserved to be retired.

Lest we all forget, WBZ has had their way with music choices (I mean the Pride package alone was far different than any other O&O) but they ended up with CBS Enforcer like everyone else in the end. Same with WCCO. Actually, fun fact, WBZ had a Music Oasis package too that didn't last as long as Chroma Cues, it was called Newsworks and was honestly better than Chroma Cues.

Chroma Cues is stuck in the 1980s with every package Music Oasis put out. Music Oasis has been out of business for years, but likely the copyright to the Chroma Cues signature if not held by WJZ is still in their hands if there is one.

Chroma Cues is a unique package, but it's time to put it to bed, 31 years was long enough.

I like that idea. Or at least keep it like WRC does for Friday night 6pm news close with My Mood. Chroma Cues original name was "Jerry's Song" after Jerry Turner. Yes WJZ does need to move into modern age however if done correctly you can keep a classic alive in some fashion. I'm sure someone in the control room during the one of the newscasts they will punch the Cues up by mistake.

...or put the last three notes of the Chroma Cues signature at the start and then the main Enforcer cut. Like KYW did with its five-note sounder before Enforcer for their morning newscast.

...or put the last three notes of the Chroma Cues signature at the start and then the main Enforcer cut. Like KYW did with its five-note sounder before Enforcer for their morning newscast.

Not a bad idea. Take the cue they had from 1995-1999 when they did the talent arc. Dun... Dun... Dun... and then go with the enforcer after.

Did you also see that someone updated WJZ's wiki page as well?

THIS!!!

Using the "dah-dah-dah" signature from Chroma Cues as a direct lead-in to Enforcer is a perfect way to give a nod to the station's legacy. Even better if it can be recorded with the current instruments at the Gari shop (which obviously was done with the KYW 1060 jingle signature above).

Pat Garrett's a great VO. It's just sucked that he had been stuck with absurdly horrible copy for WJZ's news opens under the previous GM (see my signature).

Do you know if WJZ's newsroom also got a makeover as well too? It about time WJZ finally moved into the 21st century.

Do you know if WJZ's newsroom also got a makeover as well too? It about time WJZ finally moved into the 21st century.

I assume to some extent. It’s been off air since they moved to the temp set.

[MEDIA=twitter]1026455315796176896[/MEDIA]

A new morning anchor set to debut with the new look...

Aww, I kinda liked the solo-anchor format for their morning show.

I’m glad they added a co-anchor, but am surprised it wasn’t a male. They could’ve easily went in-house and put Rick Ritter there. I thought him and Jessica would’ve been perfect for the mornings. Linh seems a little dry for mornings and would be better suited on weekends.

I’m glad they added a co-anchor, but am surprised it wasn’t a male. They could’ve easily went in-house and put Rick Ritter there. I thought him and Jessica would’ve been perfect for the mornings. Linh seems a little dry for mornings and would be better suited on weekends.

That means they probably told Marty Bass to go do weather and not be an anchor any longer. I gotta tell ya, Marty Bass's exit has been overdue for a long time. Once Don Scott retired from being an anchor, the morning show went with him....

That means they probably told Marty Bass to go do weather and not be an anchor any longer. I gotta tell ya, Marty Bass's exit has been overdue for a long time. Once Don Scott retired from being an anchor, the morning show went with him....

Marty Bass just can't help himself..Give him another year or two.

Only 3 days away from one of the most anticipated moves in Baltimore TV news history...

It's so climactic, I saw countdown ads on (count it) not 1....not 2...but 3 video banners in town. The first two are along I-83 (passing by the neighborhood where WJZ resides) and the other one isnt too far off from the sports complex downtown. Much like the other ads, it's just been a blurred photo of the new set in the background with the words "X MORE DAYS!" clear as day.

Anyways, why not put together the pieces of the puzzle we have so far in the mean time?

[GALLERY=media, 1072]wjz_18preview by TheFizzle21 posted Aug 6, 2018 at 5:15 PM[/GALLERY]

I propose one of the mods blare the Chroma Cues theme on loop here on Wednesday.

Why?

It's Complete Coverage. For one last time.

Every home should have Chroma Cues on hand. Now that is Complete Coverage. Lol.

Only 3 days away from one of the most anticipated moves in Baltimore TV news history...

It's so climactic, I saw countdown ads on (count it) not 1....not 2...but 3 video banners in town. The first two are along I-83 (passing by the neighborhood where WJZ resides) and the other one isnt too far off from the sports complex downtown. Much like the other ads, it's just been a blurred photo of the new set in the background with the words "X MORE DAYS!" clear as day.

Anyways, why not put together the pieces of the puzzle we have so far in the mean time?

[GALLERY=media, 1072]wjz_18preview by TheFizzle21 posted Aug 6, 2018 at 5:15 PM[/GALLERY]

I like how us folks at TVNT are able to see the set first before most of WJZ's viewers on Thursday. So lucky to be on this forum. :-)

Archived