WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would they send their news to the hub only to have the hub send it back to the transmitter? When the NBC O&Os were hubbed from 30 Rock each station's production control sent the signal from the control room directly to the transmitter. The hub could monitor it, but the signal did not go to the hub first. Each station also had a router panel (or panels) located in the control rooms and (in some cases) the station's original master control areas so the stations could have local control. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that doesn't sound correct. That is how Fox does it as well. In fact, their master control automation has a hub mode and a spoke mode in which the local station can take control away from the hub if need be, and when they are done give control back to the hub with a click of a mouse.

So let me get this straight. There are no longer local MCOs at each CBS O&O station, but Encompass is controlling equipment that is still located at each station (also called centralcasting). Given that it's an O&O, they should still have the equipment and personnel to take control away from the hub during breaking news or other high value programming.

"Local Control"?

HA!

Like they will have some fat-ass union chump sitting on his butt just waiting to "take back" the network so they can run B2W programming?

I'm sure the equipment will be in place...but the "personnel" part just got his pink slip (to go with his nice matching handbag)... and is on his way to the CWA Union hall to be re-trained as an Amazon driver.

Is it me or WJZ seems like they are afraid of change? Hahaha

I think they are afraid to change but thanks for the new News Director, or GM (Forgive me) I can't remember. But she's doing a great job slow but surely getting a CBS o&o standard graphics. I'm just wondering if they will get enforcer?

It is amazing what you find on IG. 3rd photo.

[MEDIA=instagram]BkBjrV5l7kO[/MEDIA]

Also looks like they have updated the lobby logo.

[MEDIA=instagram]BjqzuCYnSGa[/MEDIA]

I do not know why they don’t fit the third camera in there. When they start the show or do a two shot they shoot off axis. They don’t need the camera to travel just stay in place - the most movement the cameras ever did back in the old studio is move from the smaller desk to the larger one (and was never seen on air) and pan the head to the anchor (they did this one shot where the show starts off with the center camera doing the introductions and then quickly moving to one anchor).

I do not know why they don’t fit the third camera in there. When they start the show or do a two shot they shoot off axis. They don’t need the camera to travel just stay in place - the most movement the cameras ever did back in the old studio is move from the smaller desk to the larger one (and was never seen on air) and pan the head to the anchor (they did this one shot where the show starts off with the center camera doing the introductions and then quickly moving to one anchor).

They might be using the other camera for shot blocking on the new set. Generally you want to keep a camera available once it's mostly complete so you can see what the set looks like through the camera, and for shot blocking.

They might be using the other camera for shot blocking on the new set. Generally you want to keep a camera available once it's mostly complete so you can see what the set looks like through the camera, and for shot blocking.

I get that. But they have about seven or eight robot cameras. One of which was based in the newsroom which has not been seen since they moved to the first temp set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
One thing it appears they’ve never come around to updating - the door signage it still says Group W without the CBS eye.

[ATTACH=full]6249[/ATTACH]

That’s understandable, TBH. Maybe they want to be reminded of their heritage?

True, I get what your saying. Just surprised they didn’t add the Eye.

They have a neon sign on their roof that is just the 13 and WJZ in anklepants.

True, I get what your saying. Just surprised they didn’t add the Eye.

They have a neon sign on their roof that is just the 13 and WJZ in anklepants.

The Group W font was and remains proprietary, but there is a freeware rendition titled “Westinghouse.” Anklepants is ... not that, not even close.

Don’t the doors to the Fox Broadcasting Center in New York City still sport the “MM” from MetroMedia on the door handles?

In all fairness, today's CBS Corporation used to be Group W, and IIRC "Group W" is still an active trademark.

Maybe that door sign is how it's still active...

Why would WRC, KDKA and WSB give up their hour-long 6pm newscast for 30 minutes 6pm news? Now having several hours of local news from 4-7pm, yes it sounds like an over kill. However in 90s in D.C. market both WRC & W*USA both had a 4-7pm news block. Now in W*USA case ratings did fall dramatically.

In this climate where TV stations are adding more news it likely highly they won't break away from a lot of news. KTLA airs news 4am-11am, 1pm, 3pm, 6pm (hour), 10 & 11pm & over KABC has afternoon/evening news from 3pm-6:30pm. However WRC, KDKA, and WSB will never dropped that hour-long 6pm news. All (3) win their 6pm time slot. WJZ in Baltimore has moved to #2. WSB believes the 6pm is all local and network at 7pm. Also, you're messing with these stations ad rates dollars, because I guarantee these stations are raking in some big $$$ at the 6pm hour. Me personally see nothing wrong with an hour-long 6pm news.

KDKA's 6:00 newscast still gets big ratings.its a local tradition. My house would watch NBC (sometimes ABC) news at 6:30 then flip over to 2 for the CBS News at 7. We had no interest in game shows so having national newscast at 7 was always a welcome choice. WTAE had a one-hour 6pm news until around '89 when they shifted to a 5:30 start time after M*A*S*H. KDKA was the last local to expand into 5 and the only one to enter the 4pm hour. Plus in KD's case, they never seemed to have a syndicated show that could really compete with Wheel and ET at 7:30.

KDKA's 6:00 newscast still gets big ratings.its a local tradition. My house would watch NBC (sometimes ABC) news at 6:30 then flip over to 2 for the CBS News at 7. We had no interest in game shows so having national newscast at 7 was always a welcome choice. WTAE had a one-hour 6pm news until around '89 when they shifted to a 5:30 start time after M*A*S*H. KDKA was the last local to expand into 5 and the only one to enter the 4pm hour. Plus in KD's case, they never seemed to have a syndicated show that could really compete with Wheel and ET at 7:30.

Plus, Stacy Smith anchors that hour. Its hard not to watch a legend in that market and personally, I like KDKA and WJZ having that hour-long news at 6pm. Most (not all) of them that still have it today are either #1 or #2.

Hey guys, new to the forum here. Been lurking a bit, but boy, I might have news:

I just saw a brief commercial teasing something new coming in 9 days (August 9)...must be the new set for WJZ, right?

Looks like we got a date everyone - 8/9/2018 - The brand new set will be revealed! Check out WJZ's Facebook page.

The standard set, I see.

Willl they finally debut the O&O graphics too?

Yes. It is on the monitors too.

All I gotta say is, all of this had better been worth the wait. Anything less than perfection at this point and WJZ FAILED. I also expect to hear CBS Enforcer and not some stupid ass production track.

Archived