WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look what I found on Jessica kartaljas Instagram story? O&O graphics hint [ATTACH=full]6144[/ATTACH]

Apropos almost of nothing. That poster likely was put together in New York or elsewhere with a graphics team that had "the look." Most certainly didn't come from WJZ's art department.

Nah, I’d say 2100, when we’re all probably dead.

More like 2350, when Duck Dodgers does things. :p

In either case, KC Robertson will still be there, and this thread will still be active lolololol

Apropos almost of nothing. That poster likely was put together in New York or elsewhere with a graphics team that had "the look." Most certainly didn't come from WJZ's art department.

CBS local stations really don't have a central art department. WCBS maintains "the look", but certainly isn't going to make WJZ posters. If anything, WCBS sent WJZ some Photoshop templates they used for their posters and WJZ just plugged in their talent.

CBS has been odd with graphics, using a quasi-standardized look (WJZ is proof no one has FORCED anyone to adopt these graphics) but also retaining local design departments. I've had a few people at the stations explain it to me. WCBS simply sends out the project files for the graphics and the local stations take and modify them as needed. Occasionally you will see stations within the group share graphics with each other if one art director sees what someone else is doing and likes it enough. Say there's a big news story in Minneapolis. WCCO's graphics for the story may be requested by KCBS and WCCO might just send them to everyone and let them all use the graphics if they wish.

Relatedly, I recently heard from someone "in the know" that the gold logo and somewhat-standardized "2" on the O&O's on channel 2 is more or less the GM's sucking up to Les Moonves, who has identical offices in NY and LA. Guy likes his consistency, I guess. WCBS chose to copy KCBS for this reason, then everyone else kind of just followed suit. Nobody told them to do it, however.

My guess is that, as they hub everything else, they'll eventually switch to a traditional "hub" model for graphics.

CBS local stations really don't have a central art department. WCBS maintains "the look", but certainly isn't going to make WJZ posters. If anything, WCBS sent WJZ some Photoshop templates they used for their posters and WJZ just plugged in their talent.

That’s what I was thinking.

WCBS simply sends out the project files for the graphics and the local stations take and modify them as needed.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds like WCBS essentially designs or commissions the look that the stations use (without their input) and the remaining stations have to fall in line/are expected to use it?

Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds like WCBS essentially designs or commissions the look that the stations use (without their input) and the remaining stations have to fall in line/are expected to use it?

It's not so much "falling in line" as it is not wanting to waste time or money doing something different. The stations don't have the budget to commission their own custom graphics, and they can't really justify spending a ton of time making their own (nor do they really have the resources to) when there's already a completed package available to them for no cost.

The golden age of O&O stations commissioning their own package (like WBBM getting that slick Hothaus package) are over.

It's not so much "falling in line" as it is not wanting to waste time or money doing something different. The stations don't have the budget to commission their own custom graphics, and they can't really justify spending a ton of time making their own (nor do they really have the resources to) when there's already a completed package available to them for no cost.

The golden age of O&O stations commissioning their own package (like WBBM getting that slick Hothaus package) are over.

So it’s not really a requirement (and a station could stay with the previous look) but just taking the easy way?

So it’s not really a requirement (and a station could stay with the previous look) but just taking the easy way?

Sounds like any big family...

The kids gotta share clothes...and make'em last.

• 2 weeks later...

Today at noon they used an interesting location for one of their pet segments - the stairs in the lobby. In previous weeks they were at the desk.

Also I messaged WJZ. They don’t have a firm date on the new set but they’re aiming for late July.

Edit: And now they don’t know when it’s debuting.

Oh yeah today WJZ either intentionally or accidentally triggered their election ticker around 3:15 during Dr. Phil. Unlike a few years back in Detroit at I believe WXYZ they didn’t have any percentages attributed to any candidates. Rather the real candidates were listed but each had 0 votes. Aside from the updated logo nothing changed.

With the stations now running on a hubbed master controll would the box inserting the ticker be at the station or remote?

Now I’m trying to remember past elections if the ticker was designed to be nestled perfectly under their Chyron or if they decided to squeeze the regular program picture. I’m also trying to remember if they stuck with the CBS News style graphics when they went local during the 2016 style.

Edit: During CBS News coverage they used the CBS ticker and when local they used their own.

LCuR7OJ.jpg

And their local ticker was slightly different.

LPwEll0.jpg

With the stations now running on a hubbed master controll would the box inserting the ticker be at the station or remote?

the hub is not yet operational... the original plan fell behind...

from what i understand... the cbs o&o hub controls equipment located at the stations... i've heard it called "store and forward" before (the traffic hub tells the master control hub what to do (store)... then the master control hub sends out commands to make the equipment do what it needs to do (forward) ...) the savings come from having one operator for several stations at once... kcbs isn't sending their feed cross country to atlanta so encompass can add a bug and send it back... encompass is just babysitting automation running the stuff...

the hub is not yet operational... the original plan fell behind...

from what i understand... the cbs o&o hub controls equipment located at the stations... i've heard it called "store and forward" before (the traffic hub tells the master control hub what to do (store)... then the master control hub sends out commands to make the equipment do what it needs to do (forward) ...) the savings come from having one operator for several stations at once... kcbs isn't sending their feed cross country to atlanta so encompass can add a bug and send it back... encompass is just babysitting automation running the stuff...

Okay. I wasn’t sure how it was set up. Some like NBC and Fox just send their newscasts to the hubs while the rest of the programming is played out from Centennial (NBC) and Las Vegas (Fox). Some stations I’ve heard have enough equipment that they do it all locally if need be.

Okay. I wasn’t sure how it was set up. Some like NBC and Fox just send their newscasts to the hubs while the rest of the programming is played out from Centennial (NBC) and Las Vegas (Fox). Some stations I’ve heard have enough equipment that they do it all locally if need be.

How many years till some network bozo gets the idea that you can punch entire sports events remotely. Or even news???

Just 10 cameras in a stadium...mostly PTZ remote...and a few live bodies (camera ops) at 1st 3rd and home plate.

Meanwhile, 6000 miles away in the Fubab province of India...little Mugdesh and his video mates direct and punch the 2024 World Series...all live...from a control room in India.

Why India???

Cuz all these networks are selling off all the real estate...and all the liquid assets.

How many years till some network bozo gets the idea that you can punch entire sports events remotely. Or even news???

They’re already doing it. NBC has NEWBERT controlled from Stamford and most of PAC 12 games are punched back at their HQ.

Why would they send their news to the hub only to have the hub send it back to the transmitter? When the NBC O&Os were hubbed from 30 Rock each station's production control sent the signal from the control room directly to the transmitter. The hub could monitor it, but the signal did not go to the hub first. Each station also had a router panel (or panels) located in the control rooms and (in some cases) the station's original master control areas so the stations could have local control. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that doesn't sound correct. That is how Fox does it as well. In fact, their master control automation has a hub mode and a spoke mode in which the local station can take control away from the hub if need be, and when they are done give control back to the hub with a click of a mouse.

So let me get this straight. There are no longer local MCOs at each CBS O&O station, but Encompass is controlling equipment that is still located at each station (also called centralcasting). Given that it's an O&O, they should still have the equipment and personnel to take control away from the hub during breaking news or other high value programming.

Archived