WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

It makes me think they're using old outdated equipment and just upconverting everything to 16:9 which would cause the overstretched typefaces.

The “WJZ” in stretched-out Helvetica mimics the “WJZ” in the old Group W typeface (of course, that font would be stretched out if the “-TV” suffix isn’t there).

Pre-HD, with the Group W font “WJZ...”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzUo8CQSGdbZZAPq8aOi1YVjB22rbmb_aSUpC1urMOeavfger7

Post-HD, when Helvetica was inserted as the “WJZ” font...

baltimore_wjz_tv.png?w=310&h=310&crop=1

When you really compare and contrast the two, the second logo looks even more cheap by comparison, HD be damned.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bet Denise didn’t realize she’d sign up for 5AM wake up calls when she signed off the 11.

Is she doing fill-in work for a day or did she get quietly swapped to mornings just as the May sweeps are beginning?

If it's the latter, that's a pretty bold move.

Is she doing fill-in work for a day or did she get quietly swapped to mornings just as the May sweeps are beginning?

If it's the latter, that's a pretty bold move.

She periodically has been filling in wherever needed. Including multiple mornings. One day was a snow day and they started at 4:30AM and she looked pissed.

I don’t think she does the afternoon shows if she does the morning.

Also that area they are at is definitely not the demo area. If you look the credenza or backing is curved and so is the screen.

She periodically has been filling in wherever needed. Including multiple mornings. One day was a snow day and they started at 4:30AM and she looked pissed.

I don’t think she does the afternoon shows if she does the morning.

Also that area they are at is definitely not the demo area. If you look the credenza or backing is curved and so is the screen.

They’re definitely in the demo area

Here’s an image from YouTube of the demo area, as well as an image from Tracey Leong’s twitter they’ve just updated the image on the wall, removed the lights from above the image, as well as painted the the side from yellow to blue

00F186D1-E0F4-4D51-AE70-0682681D4EF3.thumb.jpeg.6c0901ec32fd227724a6988fc7bef9fa.jpeg

78A8469B-FF35-44AC-9334-5B91BE5050DA.thumb.jpeg.7ccf5fd66795255d9b8fc402361e33be.jpeg

They’re definitely in the demo area

Here’s an image from YouTube of the demo area, as well as an image from Tracey Leong’s twitter they’ve just updated the image on the wall, removed the lights from above the image, as well as painted the the side from yellow to blue

[ATTACH=full]5993[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5994[/ATTACH]

Thanks for correcting me. Looks like they are using the smaller morning show desk. With the other studio free this could have been moved.

Additionally they are mixing stretched Helvetica with another font on chyrons that stretch outside the 4:3 safe zone,

Is it possible that they're not actually in the demo area, but that pieces of the demo area are being used in a temporary studio?

Yes, but regardless it’s the demo area. I did notice there is a significant PQ difference between the demo set and chroma key wall. I think they’re using different cameras.

I'm thinking they need to replace some Chyron on maybe Viz boxes. Theres a few lines jumping about.

They could also need a technical refit. AFAIK everything that existed originally in the SD era remained and HD equipment was added.

One thing I have noticed is that since they moved to their temporary set they are no longer doing newsroom live shots.

Edit: Their newsroom shot leaves a lot to be desired and from photos I’ve seen the entire newsroom needs to be renovated. It certainly wasn’t a newsroom designed to be on air.

....Their newsroom shot leaves a lot to be desired and from photos I’ve seen the entire newsroom needs to be renovated. It certainly wasn’t a newsroom designed to be on air.

Sounds like my last few dates ...too much renovation needed.

God knows what the permits would cost.

• 3 weeks later...

So I know this is minor but WJZ seems to have regressed. When they got their drone it was Drone 13 with a semi decent graphic. Now it’s just WJZ Drone with stretched Helvetica.

Can someone ELI5 why CBS hasn't just stepped in and said "We have a set of graphics we want all of our stations to use. Here's the graphics assets, we want them installed and in use by the end of the week"?

I mean, when other affiliate groups like Hearst, Scripps, Tegna, etc. have standardized packages, I can't imagine that there are many cases where a local station can go "Mmmmm..... no, thanks, we'll keep using the crap our guy is cranking out."

Can someone ELI5 why CBS hasn't just stepped in and said "We have a set of graphics we want all of our stations to use. Here's the graphics assets, we want them installed and in use by the end of the week"?

I mean, when other affiliate groups like Hearst, Scripps, Tegna, etc. have standardized packages, I can't imagine that there are many cases where a local station can go "Mmmmm..... no, thanks, we'll keep using the crap our guy is cranking out."

There’s training to do on graphics and CBS never standardized on a graphics system. So each has to be customized and configured with each system.

Hearst and Scripps all run the same system so in theory after doing the custom elements (opens, bumpers) they’re could be loaded remotely.

Kinda expected when they’re on a temp set.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they had the show controller (or Lynx equivalent) on a cart or the old desk right out of chroma key sight.

Don't assume that they all have the same equipment...or maybe the network is too cheap to standardize across the board.

Or...

The network want to be able to try different things in different markets with different quipment and different people.

It's a huge expense to "start fresh" with a complete network/OnO overhaul.

HUge Expense.

Knock me over with a freakin' feather.

I'm half-considering sending them the logo at this point...

It's almost as if you inserted a new gene to the logo gene pool... and now it's replicating out of control.

It's your logo..

Make some Pink Ramona Merch and market it to WJZ fanboys and girls.

[quote name='MyNewsArchive']Not this again..... Hey @Ramona, your [URL='https://imgur.com/a/IMNhb']mock "13"[/URL] looks good on a wooden board.... [ATTACH=full]6126[/ATTACH][/QUOTE] Way to go. I saw her video at the wood shop as they were cutting and am betting the company got a logo online. I doubt she came over with a file of the logo. From what I remember it was all cut by hand and not a CNC machine.

Archived