WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was a promo jingle they had from their "Baltimore's Favorite News Team" days. I loved it, always thought it was catchy.

Like it when stations close out the late news with something jazzy to head into the comedy block. KNBC did it back in the 80s - KNTV had a whole late night version of its theme for the broadcast in the 90s. Not sure who else has done that.

336f9a77cad4ee384ae8cb4e836c825753d567cd7a5ad1c3ca41ba1b2a130f62

"Set? Set! Set. Set? Set! Set.Set? Set! Set.Set? Set! Set."

New set!!!

It’s a bit early but April Fools. They received a new channel 11 antenna and transmitter.

But I’ve been told that one is on the way by someone in the CBS Station Group that works in a station that’s in a market along the I-95 corridor.

It’s a bit early but April Fools. They received a new channel 11 antenna and transmitter.

But I’ve been told that one is on the way by someone in the CBS Station Group that works in a station that’s in a market along the I-95 corridor.

Oh bleep Ryan!

Oh bleep Ryan!

I couldn’t resist. But I have it on good authority that they will likely be getting the new standard set sometime this year.

Here’s the antenna being delivered:

[MEDIA=instagram]BerBskvlswv[/MEDIA]

It’s beyond me why they are moving WBAL from RF 11 to RF 12 and causing them to go through the expense and hassle of replacing their entire system as the antenna is engineered solely for Channel 11operation and the transmitter can’t be retuned (and the company went out of business or was sold). Meanwhile WJZ is moving from RF 13 to RF 11. Supposedly their current equipment (antenna and transmitters) could be retuned to RF 12 but not RF 11. A whole lot of money could be saved if the FCC thought this through and used common sense.

Both WBAL and WJZ need new primary and auxiliary transmitters and antennas plus all the accessories. I think WMAR is in the same position.

It’s beyond me why they are moving WBAL from RF 11 to RF 12 and causing them to go through the expense and hassle of replacing their entire system as the antenna is engineered solely for Channel 11operation and the transmitter can’t be retuned (and the company went out of business or was sold). Meanwhile WJZ is moving from RF 13 to RF 11. Supposedly their current equipment (antenna and transmitters) could be retuned to RF 12 but not RF 11. A whole lot of money could be saved if the FCC thought this through and used common sense.

Both WBAL and WJZ need new primary and auxiliary transmitters and antennas plus all the accessories. I think WMAR is in the same position.

I don't know anything about the Baltimore market specifically, but I'd guess it has a lot to do with where the antennas are located, their broadcast patterns, signal strength, and so on. WBAL on RF11 likely causes interference with someone else adjacent, while for one reason or another, WJZ on RF11 wouldn't.

This is all a result of packing the various TV signals so close together.

I don't know anything about the Baltimore market specifically, but I'd guess it has a lot to do with where the antennas are located, their broadcast patterns, signal strength, and so on. WBAL on RF11 likely causes interference with someone else adjacent, while for one reason or another, WJZ on RF11 wouldn't.

This is all a result of packing the various TV signals so close together.

They are both on the same tower and are 129 feet apart and are roughly are roughly the same height. WJZ's antenna is currently at 968 feet with a construction permit of 1,001 ft. WBAL's antenna is 981 ft and will be at 1,001 ft post repack.

Also here's a style of some of WJZ's new promotions. In this one they are throwing a tad bit of shade at WBAL by saying that "they are playing games".

I couldn’t resist. But I have it on good authority that they will likely be getting the new standard set sometime this year.

Here’s the antenna being delivered:

[MEDIA=instagram]BerBskvlswv[/MEDIA]

DB641BA0-C95F-4808-AC70-1DA0212E8C42.gif.78e7772bbdc20b018b78265bd6ff0f9e.gif

Antenna? Antenna? Antenna? Antenna? Antenna? Antenna? Antenna? Antenna? Antenna? Antenna?!?!

No but I’ve been told that a set is planned very soon. I don’t know when but it sounded like this year.

What did K.C. say when they told him it was time for a new set? Also that cut of the CBS music sounds like WCCO's version? Well it's about time for WJZ to get a new look. After, 150 years of tears maybe around May we could see a new set?

It’s going to be the CBS O&O sets they’ve launched. However I think it’s going to be to much change.

Edit: It’s someone who I have mentioned before and if needed they could help from a far.

I am kind of worried about this if they get the full set design. We are talking about a station that literally only has one monitor on set that most of the time shows one or two static graphics and is used to show a live shot for the past 20 years. Their newsroom liveshot likely is playing a loop of their logo direct from the TV. They are going to need to add character generators, video wall controllers, and who knows what else to make it work.

It’s going to be the CBS O&O sets they’ve launched. However I think it’s going to be to much change.

Edit: It’s someone who I have mentioned before and if needed they could help from a far.

I am kind of worried about this if they get the full set design. We are talking about a station that literally only has one monitor on set that most of the time shows one or two static graphics and is used to show a live shot for the past 20 years. Their newsroom liveshot likely is playing a loop of their logo direct from the TV. They are going to need to add character generators, video wall controllers, and who knows what else to make it work.

Well... KYW does really need it so the drastic change would be worth it.

Well... KYW does really need it so the drastic change would be worth it.

Yeah. But they’ve evolved. They have some onset graphics and monitor arrays. Where as WJZ is literally stuck in the last century. There are sets just as old or older in smaller markets that have found a way to integrate monitors into their production.

Just had a heart attack thinking WJZ teased a new set. Watching the 6:30 and it started with a clip from WFOR KFMB where a flamingo jumped on the anchors head.

It was a tight shot where you saw the metallic top of the desk, the coanchors and only the videowall.

Archived