WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

launching a new gfx package isn't as simple as pushing a button... there is a lot of work involved... not only do the producers need to be trained, but control room personnel as well... then you find out during rehearsals that something isn't working right... well, the new graphics are having issues running on the older hardware... call up chyron or viz or whoever, have them "troubleshoot" for a few days and come back with: your gear is too old, need to upgrade...

WJZ will get the O&O package... trust me... could be that bruce brauer showed up, and WJZ "customized" the new stuff and he forced them to change things back.... who knows...

launching a new gfx package isn't as simple as pushing a button... there is a lot of work involved... not only do the producers need to be trained, but control room personnel as well... then you find out during rehearsals that something isn't working right... well, the new graphics are having issues running on the older hardware... call up chyron or viz or whoever, have them "troubleshoot" for a few days and come back with: your gear is too old, need to upgrade...

WJZ will get the O&O package... trust me... could be that bruce brauer showed up, and WJZ "customized" the new stuff and he forced them to change things back.... who knows...

Makes sense... very exciting times!

Does the CBS package have a breaking news news open? I just was watch JZ they had their upbeat open, their anchors and then their “Your Breaking News Connection” sting. Seems a bit disjointed.

Does the CBS package have a breaking news news open? I just was watch JZ they had their upbeat open, their anchors and then their “Your Breaking News Connection” sting. Seems a bit disjointed.

No. I know WBBM (the only station i can speak for) just shows one of the animated full-screen wipes of an image of the logo and 'Breaking News' as the Enforcer signature plays.

No. I know WBBM (the only station i can speak for) just shows one of the animated full-screen wipes of an image of the logo and 'Breaking News' as the Enforcer signature plays.

KPIX used to use a rushed open with a different Encforcer Cut until they updated the 5, 6 and 11 to the tabloid KCBS Enforcer cut this past month. I dislike it a lot, the Noon, 5, 6 and 11 uses an updated closing theme now.

I think they and KCBS are the only ones that play the full wipe animations the O&O graphics have.

Some of the late news opens look like they are the same exact shots from the previous opens @CaptainNews posted (but different order) but set at night. I’m can’t post the open but I’ll give you a shot list. [LIST=1] [*]Slow zoom with logo looking towards the World Trade Center. [*]View opposite World Trade Center showing the promenade of the harbor and Harbor Place [*]A shot looking out at the harbor. [*]A moving shot looking towards downtown from the harbor starting roughly at the National Aquirium and again the World Trade Center center screen and logo reappears. [/LIST]

[quote name='rkolsen']Some of the late news opens look like they are the same exact shots from the previous opens @CaptainNews posted (but different order) but set at night. I’m can’t post the open but I’ll give you a shot list. [LIST=1] [*]Slow zoom with logo looking towards the World Trade Center. [*]View opposite World Trade Center showing the promenade of the harbor and Harbor Place [*]A shot looking out at the harbor. [*]A moving shot looking towards downtown from the harbor starting roughly at the National Aquirium and again the World Trade Center center screen and logo reappears. [/LIST] [/QUOTE] I feel as if they don’t like the current graphics package’s Open. It looks like they want the current on screen graphics of the current generation, but want the previous package’s Open and customization.

I feel as if they don’t like the current graphics package’s Open. It looks like they want the current on screen graphics of the current generation, but want the previous package’s Open and customization.

Yeah. The current opens show a connection to the community where as the standard package is pretty limited when it comes to shots and many are obstructed.

WJZ updated their closing ticker. It’s still the old style (I forget if they have an updated one in the mornings). But they added a crawl for all the smaller closings that clog up the main ticker like businesses or child care centers. Now the big systems like universities or government offices where there’s thousands of people affected are shown first.

I’ve noticed other stations do this and you now don’t have to wait five minutes to see if a 100,000+ student school district or the federal government is closed for two dozen 30 kid daycares.

Yes I know most get text alerts or automated phone calls but for many TV is still the first line of finding out. When I was in high school in the 2000s they instituted automated phone calls but all to frequently they’d arrive after most kids would be waiting for the bus - 6:45.

A1AXcuo.jpg

I made a montage of Friday's noon newscast. The video is uploading right now.

To put this back on topic, I'm curious as to that piano-driven piece at the end of that video. It's sure been around for awhile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=-S3ykouiwxA;t=107

I'm assuming that's another Chroma Cues V3.0 track? Or a locally-performed arrangement of Chroma Cues? Or a separate, unrelated piece of production music?

Either way, it too seems to always have been played out of tradition...

To put this back on topic, I'm curious as to that piano-driven piece at the end of that video. It's sure been around for awhile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=-S3ykouiwxA;t=107

I'm assuming that's another Chroma Cues V3.0 track? Or a locally-performed arrangement of Chroma Cues? Or a separate, unrelated piece of production music?

Either way, it too seems to always have been played out of tradition...

It was a promo jingle they had from their "Baltimore's Favorite News Team" days. I loved it, always thought it was catchy.

Archived