WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

Wasn’t it also CBS News’ tagline before they went with original reporting? I feel like I’ve heard it nationally.

I believe Evening News used it for awhile in 2012 to ‘13 and in 2013 they used, ‘Expect More Orignal Reporting’ before switching to just Original Reporting.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought I’d share this Flickr gallery I posted when WJZ first went HD. It shows their first look and how far they’ve come.

I still can't believe those graphics were created in the 2000's. They look totally late 80's.

Man, I hope once WJZ starts using the new graphics, they will finally dump this "Manic Monday" segment intro. About time they retire the [ATTACH]5271[/ATTACH] logo from early 2000.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/show/manic-monday/

[ATTACH=full]5270[/ATTACH]

I was wondering if they’ve continued this tradition or if it was canned.

I was wondering if they’ve continued this tradition or if it was canned.

Manic Monday is another WJZ tradition I don’t understand. That song has no connections or references to Baltimore. Almost as if someone at WJZ said, “Hey, here’s a song about Monday, so let’s find a random group of people to meet up at Jimmy’s in Fells Point every Monday morning at 6:15 to sing it.”

Also, that segment intro has freaked me out since I was a kid for some reason.

Manic Monday is another WJZ tradition I don’t understand. That song has no connections or references to Baltimore. Almost as if someone at WJZ said, “Hey, here’s a song about Monday, so let’s find a random group of people to meet up at Jimmy’s in Fells Point every Monday morning at 6:15 to sing it.”

Nor do I.

We've all been freaked out by odd things when we were kids. I was scared of two things: One, the old Paramount Feature Presentation logo (I thought when the text zoomed in at the end, it could come out of the screen to eat me). Two, a Loreal Kids Strawberry shampoo commercial (can't remember why, but I do remember hiding behind an old armchair when it came on).

We've all been freaked out by odd things when we were kids. I was scared of two things: One, the old Paramount Feature Presentation logo (I thought when the text zoomed in at the end, it could come out of the screen to eat me). Two, a Loreal Kids Strawberry shampoo commercial (can't remember why, but I do remember hiding behind an old armchair when it came on).

The MGM lion.. thought it was gonna kill me when I was younger..

Man, I hope once WJZ starts using the new graphics, they will finally dump this "Manic Monday" segment intro. About time they retire the [ATTACH]5271[/ATTACH] logo from early 2000.

Funny thing is, that segment intro may be the ONLY remaining on-air instance of the WJZ letters in the Group W font.

There was paramount television blue mountain, then there was this, and you didn't live if you didn't hear this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnmHvRwfYs

There's a certain charm i guess in having 'JZ using manic monday that has no connection to anything 'manic' let alone related to the hit song. Randomness fits in, no? The open is dated but nowhere near scary, safe like '90s-ish pbs pledge music special intros. Also side note: I was more scared hearing ted alexander deeply voicing time life collection commercials at the end. I can still hear it ringing my head to this day..."Call 1-800-257-1234..." (or any random number of course)

There was paramount television blue mountain, then there was this, and you didn't live if you didn't hear this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnmHvRwfYs

There's a certain charm i guess in having 'JZ using manic monday that has no connection to anything 'manic' let alone related to the hit song. Randomness fits in, no? The open is dated but nowhere near scary, safe like '90s-ish pbs pledge music special intros. Also side note: I was more scared hearing ted alexander deeply voicing time life collection commercials at the end. I can still hear it ringing my head to this day..."Call 1-800-257-1234..." (or any random number of course)

I guess I just didn’t like the way the blue WJZ ball bounced around the screen and the fonts used for the lyric excerpt.

I think of it as WJZ being a victim of having so much stability. Why change things up or rock the boat when they enjoyed dominance in the market for decades.

They couldn’t keep up this look forever.

Dominance is fading fast plus those who kept the look aren't there to keep it going. CBS has now put yes men in place. My question is why is this rollout taking is good-ass time? Just roll it out already.

I think of it as WJZ being a victim of having so much stability. Why change things up or rock the boat when they enjoyed dominance in the market for decades.

They couldn’t keep up this look forever.

Dominance is fading fast plus those who kept the look aren't there to keep it going. CBS has now put yes men in place. My question is why is this rollout taking is good-ass time? Just roll it out already.

WJZ has stability in their anchor teams and their speciality reporters but many of their new reporters who cover day to day seem to see it as a pit stop and aren’t there that long. Many have move to Philadelphia (I think three staffers including a photog migrated to WPVI in the past five years) a few to New York and two to CBS Newspath.

That being said WJZ isn’t afraid to go outside their station to fill anchor positions (which could also be the reason why some reporters left). They went outside for their weekend anchor Johnathan McCall (sp?) and morning anchor Linh Bui who they made clear from the start was Don Scott’s replacement. I think the same was for weekend mornings.

A coming up lower third looks quite different from the old ones and it appears no Helvetica.

[ATTACH=full]5293[/ATTACH]

Not really. Only difference is the font. Design is pretty much the same as before.

Not really. Only difference is the font. Design is pretty much the same as before.

The blues a bit darker (to me), the CBS Eye animates much slower, and there only appears to be one Eye (debatable but it looks like there are edges of another eye off the 4:3 safe zone).

Additionally there seems to be more sponsorship. Today they added an xfinity logo (in black not red) when they show Skycams. The rest appear with sponsorship bumpers before and after the commercials.

Edit: Updated headings for weather. They replaced the WJZ in anklepants with the vertical version of their logo. Sadly it’s Helvetica abound.

CEBE6928-CFE5-4182-9088-72054C8EAA52.thumb.jpeg.76b2b720dd4b6318507b03e4e557ae3f.jpeg

Archived