WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

At least the Eyemark is proportional. (Thanks NYC)

At least the Eye looks like it didn't suffer from a stroke anymore.

The 3 on the other hand..

At least the eye is correct this time.

At least the network intervened to kill that bad eye with fire.

Has this ever happened before?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there were some rumors going around that CBS had a say in "fixing" WBBM's logo back in 2002. Apparently there was an issue with how the eye appeared in the "works for you" era logo. I'm not sure how much the resulting (improved IMO) look was CBS and how much of it was the GM's.

And before we get into the ridiculous idea of the "CBS Mandate" I think it can be argued that many of the changes during that timeframe could be more easily explained away by GM changes and conscious station-level branding decisions. I'm sure the network had say in what they wanted but calling it a "mandate" sounds ridiculous.

I know there were some rumors going around that CBS had a say in "fixing" WBBM's logo back in 2002. Apparently there was an issue with how the eye appeared in the "works for you" era logo. I'm not sure how much the resulting (improved IMO) look was CBS and how much of it was the GM's.

And before we get into the ridiculous idea of the "CBS Mandate" I think it can be argued that many of the changes during that timeframe could be more easily explained away by GM changes and conscious station-level branding decisions. I'm sure the network had say in what they wanted but calling it a "mandate" sounds ridiculous.

Mandate does sound ridiculous. If anything it’s just standardized graphics - you never heard of an NBC mandate or the Hearst mandate with their Image News package. A mandate sounds like CBS is dictating everything on air.

Also maybe the logo wasn’t fixed by the network or WCBS as someone said. One user said he sent an email about the eye and shortly there after it was fixed on air. Or based on the mic flags and the jackets having the correct logo they were using a draft version on air and the fixed one wasn’t animated correctly.

Edit: They’re still using the old logo when coming back from commercial and at the TOTH ID.

Edit #2: Here’s the TOTH ID. Clearly they haven’t updated LIDIA.

5819A5F5-5D94-430E-AB64-70233F9CCE97.thumb.jpeg.0a65d3ea73189614ccc179045ed6d089.jpeg

Mandate does sound ridiculous. If anything it’s just standardized graphics - you never heard of an NBC mandate or the Hearst mandate with their Image News package. A mandate sounds like CBS is dictating everything on air.

Also maybe the logo wasn’t fixed by the network or WCBS as someone said. One user said he sent an email about the eye and shortly there after it was fixed on air. Or based on the mic flags and the jackets having the correct logo they were using a draft version on air and the fixed one wasn’t animated correctly.

essentially you are right... cbs really isn't telling anyone what to do here (outside of correcting the logo...) there's some oversight from new york but it's not very good... it's why some stations seem to take bigger liberties than others... stations adopt the standardized graphics because they want something new and something new is readily available... they don't need to make it themselves and they don't need to pay someone to make it...

nobody forced anyone to change their logo to have a gold number... at the station level people just liked how it looked... some stations did and some didn't... it also helped all the channel 2 stations because they could share stuff between them without it being wrong (outside of this forum, nobody really cares if kdka is using the wbbm '2'...)

long and short of it is there ain't any "mandate"... there's just art departments and gm's that don't see the need to challenge status quo... wjz's new gm decided they should get the group graphics... can you blame them??? i sure as heck wouldn't trust that art department to make a new package on their own...

Getting back to the topic... maybe this weird delayed implementation of the standardized graphics could be on New York's end? In other words, they're developing an update of the graphics package? It's a scenario worth thinking about. (And I hope it does get an update to correct the aspect ratio issues. It's a great package, it just needs to fix those issues.)

[ATTACH=full]5136[/ATTACH]

What I find interesting is that this bug is telling viewers to go to WJZ.com instead of CBSBaltimore.com (like the old one did). Hopefully that means the end to those stupid CBS Local sites.

What I find interesting is that this bug is telling viewers to go to WJZ.com instead of CBSBaltimore.com (like the old one did). Hopefully that means the end to those stupid CBS Local sites.

We'd probably be seeing the end of those anyway due to the CBS/Entercom deal. KYW radio now directs listeners to KYWNewsradio.com (though that still sends them to a subsection of the CBS Philly site)

We'd probably be seeing the end of those anyway due to the CBS/Entercom deal. KYW radio now directs listeners to KYWNewsradio.com (though that still sends them to a subsection of the CBS Philly site)

Right. Those “CBS Local” portals will be partitioned off into separate sites between CBS and Entercom (and Beasley for WBZ-FM), a process that, to my understanding, could take a year to complete.

The stations sold off to iHeart - WBZ 1030 in Boston and KFNQ 1090 in Seattle - were already yanked from those portals and moved to the iHeart CMS.

Getting back to the topic... maybe this weird delayed implementation of the standardized graphics could be on New York's end? In other words, they're developing an update of the graphics package? It's a scenario worth thinking about. (And I hope it does get an update to correct the aspect ratio issues. It's a great package, it just needs to fix those issues.)

It always struck me weird that some elements of the graphics package were 4:3 and others were 16:9. But if I had to guess, CBS is planning what Raycom did and "stretch" the graphics out of the safe zone.

They may be attempting to be strategic about it (we're actually in a sweeps period right now, February sweeps were moved up due to the Olympics)

The AFC championship game is on January 21st on CBS which might be a good launch point.

Right. Those “CBS Local” portals will be partitioned off into separate sites between CBS and Entercom (and Beasley for WBZ-FM), a process that, to my understanding, could take a year to complete.

The stations sold off to iHeart - WBZ 1030 in Boston and KFNQ 1090 in Seattle - were already yanked from those portals and moved to the iHeart CMS.

WBZ-FM was yanked off the portal as well. It's on Beasley's CMS at 985thesportshub.com.

One thing I’ve noticed with the new bug on WJZ with their old Chyron is that the WJZ blocks blend in a bit to the lower half of the lower third. It could be my eyes but the silver blocks with the transparent letters make the blocks look somewhat solid with the light blue backdrop.

One thing I’ve noticed with the new bug on WJZ with their old Chyron is that the WJZ blocks blend in a bit to the lower half of the lower third. It could be my eyes but the silver blocks with the transparent letters make the blocks look somewhat solid with the light blue backdrop.

The bug actually turns 30% transparent and is coded to turn 0% transparent with the lower third.

The bug actually turns 30% transparent and is coded to turn 0% transparent with the lower third.

I’m talking about how the negative space in the W J Z looks. While the rest of the bug stands out from the lower thirds those areas in the logo look like they mesh together.

I was thinking about how the CBS Eye was oblonged. The droopy CBS Eye predated KC Robertson’s tenure in areas that would be related to the logo. The Box logo was introduced in 2004 while became the promotions manager from 2005 and the CSD from 2008. So he inherited the droopy eye but I don’t know why it wasn’t fixed.

Somehow I think all this could have started with someone downloading the wrong version of the Eye (maybe from the web) rather than through CBS. Then the file was likely stored on the server as the master logo and everything snowballed from there.

Also, I heard WJZ ordered CBS Eye bookends for their set -kind of like KARE has. The only problem is that they realized they sent the wrong logo to the metal shop and it was too late to fix.

[spoiler=""]kidding

I’m talking about how the negative space in the W J Z looks. While the rest of the bug stands out from the lower thirds those areas in the logo look like they mesh together.

Yeah... I don’t see it. I tried hard to look for it. Maybe go to your optometrist? [spoiler=""]I wanted a post with the spoiler. I’m kidding about the optometrist.

Archived