WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty much confirms the O&O look is coming to Baltimore.

They've been using various O&O elements for years. Several years ago, when someone posted a "WJZ drops Chroma Cues-esque" topic, I recorded a full days worth of newscasts for grins (just in case). There were 2 or 3 O&O-like features during the newscasts (one was the stock market report and another was an "open position" feature - not with WJZ, but with a local company, IIRC) - but each was separate from the newscast - at least one commercial between EWN and the feature.

Jim

They've been using various O&O elements for years. Several years ago, when someone posted a "WJZ drops Chroma Cues-esque" topic, I recorded a full days worth of newscasts for grins (just in case). There were 2 or 3 O&O-like features during the newscasts (one was the stock market report and another was an "open position" feature - not with WJZ, but with a local company, IIRC) - but each was separate from the newscast - at least one commercial between EWN and the feature.

Jim

Pretty much this. A graphic tonight that promoted a Ravens’ pregame show on Thursday night did utilize Gotham instead of Helvetica, but it’s also likely apropos of nothing.

I’ll believe that change is afoot when it actually happens.

Pretty much this. A graphic tonight that promoted a Ravens’ pregame show on Thursday night did utilize Gotham instead of Helvetica, but it’s also likely apropos of nothing.

I’ll believe that change is afoot when it actually happens.

That would be a good time to debut anything new, admittedly...

That would be a good time to debut anything new, admittedly...

just a coincidence that social media posts promoting the game also have gotham??

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155289500088477

i don't think the random gotham is just a coincidence... something is coming, i can feel it!!!

if not now... soon...

;)

WJZ has debuted an update to their set.

They changed out a large monitor in the weather center that previously displayed clouds to a touch screen version. They only used it for weather watchers where all they did was scroll.

They changed out a large monitor in the weather center that previously displayed clouds to a touch screen version. They only used it for weather watchers where all they did was scroll.

The only thing from this century besides the cameras it seems.

No picture?

No picture?

It’s really worthless addition. They just swapped out a monitor that was previously there and displayed clouds.

I’m not sure if this is the touch screen monitor or the old one. If you look at the video you can see that the monitor appears to be cart based. I imagine the sets walls weren’t designed for that load.

[MEDIA=twitter]924822834878271488[/MEDIA]

Oh and those two monitors directly to the left of it are fake displaying a static image that never changes. I think at one point they may have been real but I think they printed out a map image and put it on there. It’s kind of like their old CBSBaltimore.com camera location. They had two or three old Apple LCD Monitors - they printed out a generic image of their website that never changes and stuck it on there. One of the print outs doesn’t even fill the entire screen. And you can see the mouse and keyboard wires aren’t plugged in.

Going through YouTube, I found these two videos that give a good comparison of WJZ and KMGH's sets. For what it's worth, KMGH trashed this set starting in 2002. It was all gone by 2004.

These were all done by a company called Pencilogic, which also did KPIX's late-90s set (along with a refresh in 2001).

These were all done by a company called Pencilogic, which also did KPIX's late-90s set (along with a refresh in 2001).

Yes, they did a lot of the Group W/CBS O&O sets at that time. I liked their designs, even if they dated somewhat quickly. KWGN's loft set is still one of my favorites:

35011246954_08ca66a715_o.jpg

WJZ hasn’t completely purged their old promos in their rotation. Before their 11PM they ran an advertisement for “Expert Picks” online show about who the football experts pick for what I assume is Fantasy Football. They mention “WJZ Eyewitness News” and use their old website address.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well WJZ appears to be rolling out a new logo. They’re keeping the Group W 13 with W J Z in seperate blocks.

CF242E58-F888-4FA7-85F4-5EE6C2880414.thumb.jpeg.70d36b25c720e85bcb74a372ec36fef8.jpeg

Edit: Trying to get a screen capture but they haven’t played out any promos during their 11PM newscast that have it. The ones that had it were for winter weather and the Army/Navy game.

Well WJZ appears to be rolling out a new logo. They’re keeping the Group W 13 with W J Z in seperate blocks.

[ATTACH=full]4868[/ATTACH]

I feel if they got the same font that they use for the WBZ blocks, it wouldn’t look so...empty in the middle. That said, little by little... but why does the gradient for the blocks bother me more?

I feel if they got the same font that they use for the WBZ blocks, it wouldn’t look so...empty in the middle. That said, little by little... but why does the gradient for the blocks bother me more?

It's not bothering me. Looks fine even if it is mimicking WBZ in a way.

Here's hoping a brand new set is in order as well.

I smell something is coming here... the CBS O&O mandate is coming?

If this is part of that, I'm surprised nobody has forced them to adopt the actual CBS eye logo and not their weird trace of it.

I feel like this might be an "evolutionary" logo and not the actual "new" logo.

Archived