WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

Woof. I hope you're never in a decision-making position at WPVI!

Aside from some rather over-the-top graphics moves (swooshing noises with L3s, anyone?) WPVI has tried to modernize and keep their look as fresh as possible.

They even try to keep MCTYW up to date through constant remastering and refreshes. (Really, that's the only thing they CAN do to it after the Great London Philharmonic Disaster of 1997.)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The color scheme is not visually appealing (purple in a TV station logo???).

For the Ravens.

I was looking back at a Flickr gallery I had when they first went HD and did not realize the stretching got so out of hand. Maybe it’s one of those things that if you see it your used to it.

4060626274_f807a64ff2_o_d.jpg

One thing I’ll add is that many of their trucks, SUVs and their helicopter only have the CBS Eyemark with the GroupW 13 logo.

I attribute that to bulk purchases from corporate as almost every other truck bought for a CBS station is marked the same way.

If WJZ were to O&O-ify while trying to maintain aspects of its Group-W style, it would come out to this. Logo in the current CBS O&O open with Baltimore Background and new WJZ logo.

I don't personally think removing the Eyewitness News tagline would necessarily signal a possible new graphics/logo/O&O-ification. KYW for example still uses the EWN name.

1969020206_WJZFakeOpen.thumb.png.2c3dab7d63f3a393ad9691b0b492f5b0.png

*Programming changes: Dump MAURY at 9am and replace with either THE DOCTORS or HOT BENCH. Shorten the 6pm newscast to a half hour, move the CBS EVENING NEWS to 6:30pm, and air INSIDE EDITION at 7pm (need to pick it up from WBAL). Also consider replacing the 4pm newscast with JUDGE JUDY (from WBFF) or move DR. PHIL there from 3pm (in which case HOT BENCH or THE DOCTORS would fill the 3pm slot).

I disagree with reducing the 6pm news to a half hour. Most stations have half hour newscasts, having local news go to 7pm can be an advantage. KDKA-TV is still doing strong with their one-hour 6pm newscast (part of a three-hour block) followed by Evening News at 7. My family would always watch NBC at 6:30 and flip to CBS at 7 for the national news. I'm curious to now how many east/coast stations still have a one-hour newscast with network news at 7.

It time for WJZ to move into 21st century, and yes they should keep the Eyewitness News branding and the stylized 13. Other than that it's time to move into the future, and KC Robertson is stuck in 1998. Either KC is scared of moving forward, or just out of touch with reality. WJZ branded look is outdated, and if Scripps could dump some $$$ into WMAR it would be epic proportions to fight with WJZ.

I disagree with reducing the 6pm news to a half hour. Most stations have half hour newscasts, having local news go to 7pm can be an advantage. KDKA-TV is still doing strong with their one-hour 6pm newscast (part of a three-hour block) followed by Evening News at 7. My family would always watch NBC at 6:30 and flip to CBS at 7 for the national news. I'm curious to now how many east/coast stations still have a one-hour newscast with network news at 7.

It was always "Big News" to have an hour-long 6pm news in many different markets. WXYZ used to have an hour-long news from 5-7pm block with ABC NEWS at 7pm. Then in Atlanta, in the late 70s/ early 80s all (3) stations would have an hour-long 6pm news, but WAGA dropped hour-long 6:00 news in 1988, but SB & XIA would continue to compete with the hour-long 6pm news. In fall 1994, WXIA would dropped it hour-long 6:00 news, and moving NBC NEWS at 6:30P. WAGA, would become FOX in Dec 94 and would bring back an hour-long 6pm news. At one time in NYC all (3) stations would have an hour-long news at 6pm.

It always seem big markets had a lot of more news, ratings, resources to pour in at the 6:00news to have an hour-long newscast, but also the ad rates too. WSB-TV has always believe the 6pm hour belongs local and 7pm goes to the network.

at for 6pm hour-long newscast

WSB-TV/ Attlanta

WAGA-TV/Atlanta

WJW/ Cleveland

WJBK/Detroit

WJZ/Baltimore

WRC/D.C.

KTRK/Houston

KSTP/MSP

KARE/MSP

WSMV/Nashville

WTVF/Nashville

KDKA/Pittsburgh

That all I have at the moment and I'm sure there are many others on the left coast and other time zones.

I agree. I love having hour-long news at 6pm. I don't watch network news so having local news at 6:30pm, even in Gainesville through WOGX and WJXT, is just amazing.

WSB-TV/ Attlanta

WAGA-TV/Atlanta

WJW/ Cleveland

WJBK/Detroit

WRC/D.C.

KTRK/Houston

KSTP/MSP

KARE/MSP

WSMV/Nashville

WTVF/Nashville

KDKA/Pittsburgh

That all I have at the moment and I'm sure there are many others on the left coast and other time zones.

I'll add the Florida side with the notion of 6pm ET/5pm CT...

1) WALA-TV 10 / Mobile - Pensacola

2) WJXT 4 / Jacksonville

3) WFOX 30 / Jacksonville

4) WOGX 51 / Gainesville (via WOFL 35)

5) WOFL 35 / Orlando

6) WTVT 13 / Tampa

7) WFTX 36 / Fort Myers

8) last but not least... WSVN 7 / Miami

(NOTE: All FOX stations except WJXT. FOX's affiliates really do take advantage of the 6:30pm ET/5:30pm CT timeslot.)

By the way, even if WJZ-TV threw away the hour-long format at 6pm, those with rabbit ears can probably get WRC-TV in D.C. and have their hour-long news at 6pm.

For all the griping about Sinclair, TEGNA and Scripps doing McStation moves on this board... I guess I'm not surprised that there's a majority of support to turn WJZ into a McStation.

The new GM is a Baltimore native. She grew up knowing WJZ's legacy and history, while at the same time, won't be paralyzed by Westinghouse groupthink. But she won't destroy that legacy for the sake of change.

On a side note, let's hope that WJZ gets to finally start at 4:30am. I don't know why they still insist on starting at 5am. Maybe Marty Bass has an iron-clad contract about start times, maybe because the previous GM thought it was BS to start at 4:30am, either way,

START AT 4:30!!!!!

For all the griping about Sinclair, TEGNA and Scripps doing McStation moves on this board... I guess I'm not surprised that there's a majority of support to turn WJZ into a McStation.

The new GM is a Baltimore native. She grew up knowing WJZ's legacy and history, while at the same time, won't be paralyzed by Westinghouse groupthink. But she won't destroy that legacy for the sake of change.

When WJZ finally gets the O&O look, I hope they'll get as much leeway as WCCO.

On a side note, let's hope that WJZ gets to finally start at 4:30am. I don't know why they still insist on starting at 5am. Maybe Marty Bass has an iron-clad contract about start times, maybe because the previous GM thought it was BS to start at 4:30am, either way,

START AT 4:30!!!!!

Especially since WMAR, WBAL and WBFF all wake up at 4:30am.

When WJZ finally gets the O&O look, I hope they'll get as much leeway as WCCO.

They could do a WCCO-style open with the Chroma Cues teaser cut, and I’d be happy. It’s what I’ve long felt would be the best possible execution of the O&O look.

How about Don Scott?

Good voice. However since his retirement he hasn’t really been seen or heard from. WJZ seems to be a station where when you walk out the door you don’t necessarily come back as a fill in or special events. WMAR has their ex sports director doing some show. WBAL drags a reporter out of retirement for the Preakness and Polar Bear Plunge and atleast twice a month John Collins does Weather.

The technology is modern, but KC Robertson and the WJZ CSD team have gone all out to replicate previous looks and preserve a motif that was dated in 1999.

At least with the 2004 package (based off of the 1998-2004 package) you could READ the L3s.

I was being facetious in my post.

Good voice. However since his retirement he hasn’t really been seen or heard from. WJZ seems to be a station where when you walk out the door you don’t necessarily come back as a fill in or special events.

That was Don’s choice, though. He retired when he did, knowing that Jerry Turner and Al Sanders never had the chance.

It time for WJZ to move into 21st century, and yes they should keep the Eyewitness News branding and the stylized 13. Other than that it's time to move into the future, and KC Robertson is stuck in 1998. Either KC is scared of moving forward, or just out of touch with reality. WJZ branded look is outdated, and if Scripps could dump some $$$ into WMAR it would be epic proportions to fight with WJZ.

It was always "Big News" to have an hour-long 6pm news in many different markets. WXYZ used to have an hour-long news from 5-7pm block with ABC NEWS at 7pm. Then in Atlanta, in the late 70s/ early 80s all (3) stations would have an hour-long 6pm news, but WAGA dropped hour-long 6:00 news in 1988, but SB & XIA would continue to compete with the hour-long 6pm news. In fall 1994, WXIA would dropped it hour-long 6:00 news, and moving NBC NEWS at 6:30P. WAGA, would become FOX in Dec 94 and would bring back an hour-long 6pm news. At one time in NYC all (3) stations would have an hour-long news at 6pm.

It always seem big markets had a lot of more news, ratings, resources to pour in at the 6:00news to have an hour-long newscast, but also the ad rates too. WSB-TV has always believe the 6pm hour belongs local and 7pm goes to the network.

WSB-TV/ Attlanta

WAGA-TV/Atlanta

WJW/ Cleveland

WJBK/Detroit

WJZ/Baltimore

WRC/D.C.

KTRK/Houston

KSTP/MSP

KARE/MSP

WSMV/Nashville

WTVF/Nashville

KDKA/Pittsburgh

WJZ's sister station WBZ popularized the hour-long 6pm newscast in the early 1970s. As you have mentioned before with the Atlanta case, all 3 major stations in Boston aired a 60 minute report during most of the 1980s. In 1987 WNEV (now WHDH) reduced its 6pm news to 30 minutes and added a full hour at 5, while WCVB did the same in 1994, and WBZ in 1997. Right after becoming an independent, WHDH expanded their 6pm news to a full hour, competing against WFXT.

The era of need for hour-long newscasts at 6pm in the eastern time zone (for ABC, NBC, CBS affiliates) has passed. WRC, KDKA, and WSB also need to follow suit and dump the 6:30 half hour. Is there really a need for 3 straight hours of local news (all three of those in addition to WJZ air 4pm news as well)? I think not. It makes sense in the central time zone though.

@TVNewsLover..but that is the beauty of the system. More than likely I bet viewers in Baltimore do appreciate having a local option @ 6:30 PM. The reality is that local news is still far more trusted in the eyes of the average viewer than a national newscast. I think the new WJZ GM recognizes it and will make changes slowly. Cutting a 6 PM newscast from an hour to a half and hour could potentially ostricize viewers more. Probably the same with Chroma Cues is that its probably now a Baltimore Icon (nearly the same age as I am). Maybe make the look more polished in terms of newscast presentation, but I can say the identity in the promos that they have built over the past 4-5 years with the cube is literally an easy and effective promo and they should build off of that. The other reality and one that will probably be harsher is that the way we know television to be is dying off. The only question is how many more news organizations are going to be around once TV finally goes away and it just becomes either OTT or just strictly web based.

The era of need for hour-long newscasts at 6pm in the eastern time zone (for ABC, NBC, CBS affiliates) has passed. WRC, KDKA, and WSB also need to follow suit and dump the 6:30 half hour. Is there really a need for 3 straight hours of local news (all three of those in addition to WJZ air 4pm news as well)? I think not. It makes sense in the central time zone though.

If three straight hours of local news makes sense in the Central Time Zone, then it also makes sense in the East, West and Mountain (all have at least a market or more where there's three hours of local news available across all news stations).

[quote name='bhratbrat']@TVNewsLover..but that is the beauty of the system. More than likely I bet viewers in Baltimore do appreciate having a local option @ 6:30 PM. The reality is that local news is still far more trusted in the eyes of the average viewer than a national newscast. I think the new WJZ GM recognizes it and will make changes slowly. Cutting a 6 PM newscast from an hour to a half and hour could potentially ostricize viewers more. Probably the same with Chroma Cues is that its probably now a Baltimore Icon (nearly the same age as I am). Maybe make the look more polished in terms of newscast presentation, but I can say the identity in the promos that they have built over the past 4-5 years with the cube is literally an easy and effective promo and they should build off of that. The other reality and one that will probably be harsher is that the way we know television to be is dying off. The only question is how many more news organizations are going to be around once TV finally goes away and it just becomes either OTT or just strictly web based.[/QUOTE] I agree 100%

If three straight hours of local news makes sense in the Central Time Zone, then it also makes sense in the East, West and Mountain (all have at least a market or more where there's three hours of local news available across all news stations).

Never said three straight hours of local news makes sense in the Central or Mountain or Pacific. I said hour long 6pm's were ok in those time zones, reason being because a lot of them air the national news at 5:30pm hence not resulting in three hours (straight or not) of local news.

Bottom line - three hours of local news is overkill. You can only repeat the same stories so many times.

Archived