Michele Marsh dead at age 63

Roadgeek Adam

The former WCBS stalwart anchor from August 1979 until the Big Purge in October 1996 and WNBC anchor alongside Chuck Scarborough until being removed in August 2003; Michele Marsh has passed at age 63 due to complications from breast cancer.

She started in the business in New York so young (age 25) and she leaves this world much too young. May she rest in peace.

[MEDIA=twitter]920721164518948864[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]920721356236492800[/MEDIA]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That cancer is a B!! God rest her soul! Both WCBS and WNBC should do some sort of tribute and if I am being completely honest all of the NY stations should mention her. She was a big name in the 80's to the early 2000's.

Just found out about Marsh's passing about 30 minutes ago from another site that referenced Len Berman's blog post.

That cancer is a B!! God rest her soul! Both WCBS and WNBC should do some sort of tribute and if I am being completely honest all of the NY stations should mention her. She was a big name in the 80's to the early 2000's.

For at least a short period in the mid-1980s Michele also did CBS Sportsbreak updates (don't know if she had any other involvement with CBS Sports or not, but a few days ago I watched the January 12, 1990 newscast where Michele had to pull double-duty on both news and sports since Warner Wolf and the #2 sports anchor {whose name escapes me} were unavailable)

Just found out about Marsh's passing about 30 minutes ago from another site that referenced Len Berman's blog post.

For at least a short period in the mid-1980s Michele also did CBS Sportsbreak updates (don't know if she had any other involvement with CBS Sports or not, but a few days ago I watched the January 12, 1990 newscast where Michele had to pull double-duty on both news and sports since Warner Wolf and the #2 sports anchor {whose name escapes me} were unavailable)

Rock rote i believe was #2 sports anchor. BTW she wasn't far off with that prediction in the afc championship game. Her pick was 31-17 Broncos; actual score was 37-21 Broncos. Dana Tyler was moved, holding back tear or two reporting marsh's passing at 6p report. Such history between the two. Reminded me when she was there reporting death of John Slattery. Did any other NY stations report? And twitter is something to see in condolences from tom kaminski to rosanna scotto, ernie anastos, olbermann, Anthony Mason to Dorothy Lucey (later KTTV's good day LA) to name a few.

Dana Tyler was moved, holding back tear or two reporting marsh's passing at 6p report. Such history between the two. Reminded me when she was there reporting death of John Slattery. Did any other NY stations report?

I heard PIX 11 mentioned her tonight and WNBC had a story on there webpage about her passing.

Ms. Marsh, along with Jim Jensen, Carol Martin, and Rolland Smith made up a stellar anchor core, helping define Channel 2 News at its best in the '80s. And yes, WAVY 10 Fan, I also remember her occasional Sportsbreak updates. [Also, anyone remember "Positively Yours?"]

At 2 and 4, Marsh worked among the best in the First Market.

So sorry to find this out. Much love and condolences unto her family and unto all who knew her.

Ugh thats terrible. When people just pass away like that and at 62 that is a very young age. Breast Cancer really can be a very selfish and horrible disease and the way it takes lives away so prematurely is really terrible and alarming and how sad for this to happen during a time when Breast Cancer Awareness is occurring to reduce outcomes like this is even more devastating. May she rest in peace. I did not really know too much about Michelle Marsh but I do recall she was popular and we've even had threads and posts on this very forum about her so really a devastating loss nonetheless.

Its the same way we learned that Lisa Collagrossi passed as well, so suddenly. So its a wake up call for everyone to really live their lives everyday to the fullest, because one can never know when it will be their time to pass. This rule is applicable to every human being on earth.

My heart is breaking. I grew up watching Michele Marsh. Always respected her professionally. She was a true television journalism news talent and among the best anchors ever here in this market. Many who watched her during the 80s and 90s will fondly recall a different New York and a different kind of television news. Michele was very popular here and she earned her viewer's loyalty and trust. I always wondered what happened to her after she left WNBC in 2003. This is terribly sad news. My sympathies go out to her family and friends during this tragic time. Michele, you are loved and will be missed.

According to John Johnson Dana Tyler and Michele Marsh did not get along. He told me once that Dana used an unprofessional tacit. Made it seem like Dana tried to have Michele pushed out.

Rock rote i believe was #2 sports anchor. BTW she wasn't far off with that prediction in the afc championship game. Her pick was 31-17 Broncos; actual score was 37-21 Broncos. Dana Tyler was moved, holding back tear or two reporting marsh's passing at 6p report. Such history between the two. Reminded me when she was there reporting death of John Slattery. Did any other NY stations report? And twitter is something to see in condolences from tom kaminski to rosanna scotto, ernie anastos, olbermann, Anthony Mason to Dorothy Lucey (later KTTV's good day LA) to name a few.

According to John Johnson Dana Tyler and Michele Marsh did not get along. He told me once that Dana used an unprofessional tacit. Made it seem like Dana tried to have Michele pushed out.

You mean Diva Dana Tyler might've done something bad? Sorry to say, but her choke up seemed planned. I still can't believe she took a 4 month break for a breakup. Michele was a class act and Diva Dana will never measure up to her.

It was a different time back then and the way things were handled with management it probably didn't help with them switching the anchor teams several times in the 90's. But that was 20+ years ago so a lot of things could have happen to make them get closer. Let's not make it nothing than that. We don't have to pit these two women against each other to show your respect and sorrow from Michele's lost. Just keep it respectful and keep it moving.

That’s true. I wasn’t trying to do that tho I was just stating it was ironic to see Dana get emotional. It’s possible that when Dana started at WCBS Michele was a mentor to her and then once she became the “star” she wasn’t respectful to Michele and perhaps later on as Dana got older and more established she regretted how she treated Michele. My understanding is Dana is well liked and after all no one is perfect and we all make mistakes.

Archived