News 12..no longer as "local" as local news gets

Pinevision

Has News 12 become  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Has News 12 become

• Less Local News
    • More Local News
    • Stayed the Same

While I have Verizon at home I have been watching News 12 for many years on TV's at a local Arby's. Since Altice took over I am seeing a continued erosion of local news content. Today it became painfully evident that News 12 Long Island is no longer a useful, relevant source for local news. At the 5pm newscast, they spent the first set of stories all National/World News. Trump Healthcare, Trump on the Iran agreement, Las Vegas Shooting, and California Wildfires. They seem to have let most of their reporters go, as Altice feels its cheaper to just have them voice over National News feeds. They spend very little time with local news stories anymore. Several things they missed today locally were covered on WCBS/LNY and Fios 1, including the car going into the Island Park Candy shop, Source Found in Crescent Beach water contamination, Riverhead woman abuses dog, and the war of words between Suffolk County Executive and DA.

Considering News 12 was a major selling point for Optimum, there's no doubt they will be losing subscribers in areas where Fios is available. As I recently moved I chose to stick with Verizon partly for this reason. Not that the head honchos at Altice really care. But with the departure of many long time personalities at News 12, such as Drew Scott and Lea Tyrell, it's obvious they saw the writing on the wall, and I dont think Bill Korbel, Doug Geed, and Stone Grissom will be there for much longer. I'm sure Stone has had enough of those stupid "LI Talk's Trump segments". In News 12's latest promo they allude to their new format, "bringing the National News 12 stories home to your town". I expect eventually Altice will consolidate all News 12 operations into one bldg (they already did that with CT/NJ and LI/Westchester) and wind up renaming it i24 NYC.

Honestly its very foolish at this point with heavy competition in the cable news market, with so many various stations for world/national news. If Altice really views News 12 as a drain, instead of killing it like they are doing, they should contract their news out like Fios does. Fios is done by RNN, maybe have News 12 produced by Hearst? At least Hearst knows how to run professional news operations!

Clipboard.thumb.jpg.5f57d744362a581dd9cb53cb9834180e.jpg

I agree 100% News 12 isn’t what it used to be and it’s going to continue to fail. Honestly CableTV in general is dying as the older generation is seeing other ways to stream and watch TV. The new generation simply doesn’t care for TV anymore and those born in the 80s, 90s and up continue to age into adults, they will seek other ways to watch TV. The death of CableTV is inevitable and it will happen as the internet continues to be more and more dominant over traditional subscriber based TV services.

News 12 will eventually die out I don’t see it lasting much longer. This new company is all about cutting costs and sadly we are seeing this manifest itself in the quality of their products especially News 12.

Whoa ...Stop!

Why the heck did Arby's just get dragged into this??

You gotta explain that one.

He has Verizon at his house, meaning that he can't get News12 from his own cable system. His Arby's might have either Time Warner (Spectrum), or Optimum that has News12.

While I have Verizon at home I have been watching News 12 for many years on TV's at a local Arby's.

He has Verizon at his house, meaning that he can't get News12 from his own cable system. His Arby's might have either Time Warner (Spectrum), or Optimum that has News12.

This is on Long Island so they have Optimum. I got into the habit of watching News 12 Long Island there, as well as various other places. They seem to be playing on TV's in alot of places around LI. I have heard Optimum has special low rates for businesses. Unfortunately Verizon doesn't seem to be as common in businesses here. Anyway this was seen today. Confirms what I've been seeing at News 12.

IMG_0075.JPG.1ee325febb2e55c83c1fe11e5e3f79fe.JPG

This is on Long Island so they have Optimum. I got into the habit of watching News 12 Long Island there, as well as various other places. They seem to be playing on TV's in alot of places around LI. I have heard Optimum has special low rates for businesses. Unfortunately Verizon doesn't seem to be as common in businesses here. Anyway this was seen today. Confirms what I've been seeing at News 12.

Thank you. I've never seen anybody watch News 12. I have Verizon and nobody where I live has even heard of News 12.

Archived