ABC 7 Denver

Even ahead of the Sinclair buyout this reband looks terrible! Back to the Fox Box and to the TribWest Fox package. Additionally, the CSD can't hold a coherent theme. He switches between the KDVR custom package and Locals Only (which should be confined to KWGN). Furthermore, the horrid KWGN graphics package is staying, for some reason. Kelly Donnell is not original in his work and is tanking both stations with his lack of understanding how brand power works and how Denver and the traditional Fox look don't mesh.

Joan Barrett (the GM) hired this corporate subservient and all we can do is watch (or not) in horror. Since the Nielsen boxes are in Denver City/County only, I predict a ratings slide.

[MEDIA=vimeo]237757282[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=vimeo]237652491[/MEDIA]

First, let me say this: the Tribune FOX package isn't bad. In some ways, it feels like a FOX O&O package done right. Compared to the fantastic KDVR package, however, it's a huge step back.

I don't get how they can switch KDVR off their fantastic graphics to the Tribune FOX package, while leaving stations like WITI on their hodge-podge graphics package.

First, let me say this: the Tribune FOX package isn't bad. In some ways, it feels like a FOX O&O package done right. Compared to the fantastic KDVR package, however, it's a huge step back.

I don't get how they can switch KDVR off their fantastic graphics to the Tribune FOX package, while leaving stations like WITI on their hodge-podge graphics package.

Easy. KDVR has the former KSWB (Fox 5 San Diego) Creative Service Director, Kelly Donnell, in charge. He has no originality.

His work: https://vimeo.com/fox5

[MEDIA=vimeo]237110831[/MEDIA]

Even ahead of the Sinclair buyout this reband looks terrible! Back to the Fox Box and to the TribWest Fox package. Additionally, the CSD can't hold a coherent theme. He switches between the KDVR custom package and Locals Only (which should be confined to KWGN). Furthermore, the horrid KWGN graphics package is staying, for some reason. Kelly Donnell is not original in his work and is tanking both stations with his lack of understanding how brand power works and how Denver and the traditional Fox look don't mesh.

Joan Barrett (the GM) hired this corporate subservient and all we can do is watch (or not) in horror. Since the Nielsen boxes are in Denver City/County only, I predict a ratings slide.

[MEDIA=vimeo]237757282[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=vimeo]237652491[/MEDIA]

Love it!

You do realize that this graphics package is being pushed down by Tribune for it's FOX affiliates? I doubt Kelly has a say as to whether or not he can reject them outright.

Do you honestly believe that Tribune will allow Kelly to spend money for an outside firm to create a graphics package when they already have a serviceable in-house one ready to use?

He produced some pretty bomb-ass promos while at KSWB which 90% of the time were unique/distinct and had virtually no tie-in to the Tribune FOX gfx package.

----

I'm a bit surprised that Tribune is still pushing out this graphics package 5+ years after they first debuted. I'm surprised they're not standardizing every station with the newer pack.

You do realize that this graphics package is being pushed down by Tribune for it's FOX affiliates? I doubt Kelly has a say as to whether or not he can reject them outright.

Do you honestly believe that Tribune will allow Kelly to spend money for an outside firm to create a graphics package when they already have a serviceable in-house one ready to use?

He produced some pretty bomb-ass promos while at KSWB which 90% of the time were unique/distinct and had virtually no tie-in to the Tribune FOX gfx package.

----

I'm a bit surprised that Tribune is still pushing out this graphics package 5+ years after they first debuted. I'm surprised they're not standardizing every station with the newer pack.

I have a personal connection to this station. I know exactly what's going on. Tribune didn't push this and I know who Kelly is because my contacts know him. I would thank you not to assume what's going on and know that I do my research before I post a tread. Have a great day!

I have a personal connection to this station. I know exactly what's going on. Tribune didn't push this and I know who Kelly is because my contacts know him. I would thank you not to assume what's going on and know that I do my research before I post a tread. Have a great day!

So if you have such a "personal connection to this station" why don't you ask Kelly why he decided to go with this graphics package instead of going for something original?

You called him a corporate subservient in your original post (which very well may be the case), did you honestly think that he would deviate from the Tribune look?

BTW: Not disputing your original assessment. I think it's a major downgrade for the station. I am just merely pointing out the other possible side of the equation as to why he'd go this route for KDVR's look.

So if you have such a "personal connection to this station" why don't you ask Kelly why he decided to go with this graphics package instead of going for something original?

You called him a corporate subservient in your original post (which very well may be the case), did you honestly think that he would deviate from the Tribune look?

BTW: Not disputing your original assessment. I think it's a major downgrade for the station. I am just merely pointing out the other possible side of the equation as to why he'd go this route for KDVR's look.

Because I emailed him and he ignored me. He ignores all feedback. That much has been made clear to me.

to add to your point, KDVR replaces a great (and still good looking package) yet WGHP is still using this abomination

Not to mention that WDAF, KSTU, WJW, and your previously mentioned WITI also have inferior/dated graphics as well. WNEP also got a new package when their old one was fine. I don't understand Tribune's priorities.

i seem to remember you had "sources" at KMGH re: the Denver 7 rebrand that were wildly off mark... like they were made up on the spot to impress people on this site...

good to know that the old tvnt is alive and well and you guys are still up to harassing stations about graphics... oh wait it's "criticism"... :D csds have better things to do than respond to foamers about news graphics...

stations don't want to be assed with coming up with their own looks or sets... most stations don't have the talent to do shit in-house... most artists in tv stations couldn't care less about the graphics package... and they certainly don't have the budget to get an outside company to do it... so they get a standard look because it's better than the station can do on their own...

they will go up against the three other standardized graphics packages in the market... who cares??? clearly no other station in the market cares if their look is or isn't "denver" enough...

They weren't at all. My source, [REDACTED] ;) I couldn't specify at the time because it would have gotten him in trouble, as it would my current sources at KDVR (I have three at different positions).

KDVR's former package was custom in-house. This is a new CSD who knows not what the fuck he does.

You'll notice how the rating crash too. But I'm the only one of you whom even getting a chance to see the overnights in Denver.

You could still get him in trouble. If someone reads this and finds out that Cory was talking about the station’s internal matters at a prior job what would stop him from doing it now?

I guess that's why KDVR didn't take down their sign at 100 Speer Boulevard. Because little did we know, the FOX O&O look (the FOX Box logo) was making a comeback, even if FOX television stations let Tribune share that logo for their FOX affiliates (KDVR's sisters: WDAF, WITI, KTXL, WTIC).

if you look at KTXL its not that bad. plus it still has that homage to the O&O package KDVR had before. the problem is that its going to be very unfamiliar with those in Denver and very hard to get used to.

Do you mean the homage to the V.2 O&O package that KDVR had when it was in it's ratings slump?

Also, just a market over in #68, KXRM has the Nexstar ripoff of the Trib package.

I guess that's why KDVR didn't take down their sign at 100 Speer Boulevard. Because little did we know, the FOX O&O look (the FOX Box logo) was making a comeback, even if FOX television stations let Tribune share that logo for their FOX affiliates (KDVR's sisters: WDAF, WITI, KTXL, WTIC).

The reason was that it was too expensive to replace that. That comes from the former ND.

Do you mean the homage to the V.2 O&O package that KDVR had when it was in it's ratings slump?

Also, just a market over in #68, KXRM has the Nexstar ripoff of the Trib package.

The reason was that it was too expensive to replace that. That comes from the former ND.

Yes. latest?cb=20110223020443

Archived