MI News 26 Founder Starting National News Network

Big Country News

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

I'm quite surprised that KYUR is choosing to go this route.  Are they're still producing the newscasts from the station, or did NewsNet take over production? 

I will say that I'm glad to hear them using much better music now.

It sounds like all they are producing is the two minutes of local news that the NewsNet schedule allows for, and the rest of the "newscast" is the NewsNet national feed.

Comments from the video: 

Horrible station. They laid off most of their news team after this change too.

I don’t understand why their intro says “more news, more often” when they literally have only one half hour newscast Mon-Fri only that includes 2 minutes of local news and the rest is from the national news desk.

It's really sad that Eric Wotila went from trying to make hyperlocal "24/7" news departments a thing, to creating a service that allows existing local news departments to be destroyed. You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain, I suppose.

I'm sure his ideal for this network was every affiliate launches it's own local news department, but it really seems like the bulk of his affiliates just want a 24/7 news service that they can sell local ads on. I mean, a lot of these stations are the kind that were airing "The Blaze TV" and "Infowars TV" before he came along. Anything to make a buck.

• Like 4

To be tragically fair it wasn't like KYUR wasn't doing much before this. That station has sadly been a basket case since the change from KIMO a good decade or so ago after Smith sold it to Coastal.

Literally anyone would be a better owner and put in more of an effort than Coastal has. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

I realize it's only for 9 and 10 newscasts but I wonder how ABC network feels about this.  Yeah, I know they probably care less, it's Alaska after all ... but would this hurt the relationship with ABC network??

-- Matt

If KDNL can still not air news I doubt ABC really cares what KYUR does. I would imagine if ABC needs footage of something from Alaska they could get it from KTVA through NNS.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Weeters said:

Horrible station. They laid off most of their news team after this change too.

Since Coastal just purchased KTWO, KFNB, KGWC, I wonder if they will get the same treatment. If I worked at that group, I would be getting my Resume & Reel ready to go ASAP!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, RunningScared said:

Since Coastal just purchased KTWO, KFNB, KGWC, I wonder if they will get the same treatment. If I worked at that group, I would be getting my Resume & Reel ready to go ASAP!

As someone who works in this group, I can say we are all curious as to what will happen.

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Do they have an affiliation with NewsNet? If not, then... what?

The channels are not full-time affiliates, but it looks like they're using NewsNet as some NewsCentral-esque replacement for their local news operations. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WxNerd said:

As someone who works in this group, I can say we are all curious as to what will happen.

6 hours ago, WxNerd said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when Coastal broadcasting takes over KTWO, KGWC, and KLWY TV.  The three stations  are still under their previous owners as we speak. Will KGWC TV begin having newscasts 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I Have watched news net now enough to know 2 things.  1) They don't update there "news wheel" and  website nearly enough & 2)  Remington has a hard time articulating his sentences.  

On 5/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, DENDude said:

I Have watched news net now enough to know 2 things.  1) They don't update there "news wheel" and  website nearly enough & 2)  Remington has a hard time articulating his sentences.  

Cut him some slack. He's learning 🤣😂

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, DENDude said:

15 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Cut him some slack. He's learning 🤣😂

Who learning? If it's Eric Wotila, he had 9 years to learn. If it's everyone else, who knows.

• Confused 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:06 PM, DENDude said:

That's why he's a terrible voice actor.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I was having trouble getting to sleep, and decided to put on NewsNet for a while to see if that would help. Thinking about what is happening with KTWO, I ended up logging an hour's worth of what they aired and figured out where it came from. I wanted to know just how much they rely on CNN.

The answer? In the hour I watched, approximately 27 minutes, or 45% of the hour, was ultimately from CNN. A package from WISH also aired twice, with a large "wishtv.com" bug in the upper right, but otherwise clean. This doesn't seem to have come from CNN, but the bug being there was a little odd.

unknown.png

Those 9 minutes of actual content from NewsNet include:

• 5 minutes of Weather (2 minutes and 3 minutes)
  • 2 minutes of news headlines (Nothing substantial, just teasing stories about to air. 1 at top of hour, 1 at bottom)
  • 2 airings of an approx. 1 minute package from California where the reporter/VJ had a NewsNet mic flag.
Spoiler

Times are approximate (and in Central time), and the approximate length of the block in the news wheel is listed as rudimentary back timing. Most content repeats every 30 minutes. The "Health News" block repeated, though the one that aired after I finished logging was different. 

image.thumb.png.7c66ffe8f9224d9ab201df012a3e65a5.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Profit more than hard work seems reasonably inline with those values.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Just remember why ordinary folks are bashing and second guessing the media... because they're injecting careless and opinions to fit their narrative. Just like what you're doing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, n925tv said:

You're entitled to your opinion.

Just remember why ordinary folks are bashing and second guessing the media... because they're injecting careless and opinions to fit their narrative. Just like what you're doing. 

That seems like your opinion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1