MI News 26 Founder Starting National News Network

Big Country News

28 minutes ago, Eat News said:

If I was CNN, I would be watching my rear view mirror

90% of their content comes from CNN Newsource (which is a bizarre arrangement itself.) If CNN gets worried, they can essentially kill the network by yanking their access to Newsource. Newsnet wouldn't have anything left to broadcast.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Weeters said:

90% of their content comes from CNN Newsource (which is a bizarre arrangement itself.) If CNN gets worried, they can essentially kill the network by yanking their access to Newsource. Newsnet wouldn't have anything left to broadcast.

I agree that's a whole lot of eggs in one basket, but the folks funding this operation must be aware of that possibility. Do you think CNN even considers them a remote threat? Heck No!

I don't have a clue who is really behind the whole deal, but the funding seems to be there for now. There must be some timetable for the growth, and a aggressive business plan. This could easily migrate via OTA into a solid diginet once it get a bit more polished.

Viewers sure don't seem to care about visual and audio quality much anymore as you of all people know (winky guy emoji).

But does anyone (here) remember that first year of CNN?

The first year of CNN they would take anything...and air everything, no matter how bad it was, or where it was produced.  A bunch of real crappy TV from all over the USA flowed into Atlanta. Taped packages arrived by  Greyhound bus ,mail, Federal Express or Airborne Express.    A bunch of small time reporters also got some huge breaks when CNN aired those packages from those small markets.

CNN also aired some real gems during that time, including portions of one reporters resume tape by mistake one late evening.

Train up these kids and their network, and In a few years maybe Sinclair or Byron will buy them.

I'm paying very close attention to them.

Edited by Eat News
Twice-(Fake and True) MV .. https://youtu.be/zQELp93xxfo
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Which again, would mean bad news to our streaming Pinoys!

• Haha 1

There is one thing I can't stand about News net.  I can't listen to the sports segment when Bejoy Joseph is doing the segments he can't articulate, and runs his sentences together, it's annoying.  I usually mute the sports segment when he's on..

• Like 1

So the discontinuation of MI News 26 is extremely sloppy, and from the outside seems to be happening with no thought put into it. The old minews26.com website is being updated as of Friday, but things like weather have frozen in time, being last updated before the transition to Newsnet. 

Even their own website still features the MI News 26 schedule, with only the website header image referencing the transition to "Newsnet" from MI News 26.

The stream appears to have ceased working, and again, there's no redirection to the working Newsnet stuff.

It's kind of sad that they've just completely trashed the relatively good idea of hyperlocal news coverage for CNN Lite, and are too busy caught up with trying to make that happen to even transition away from the hyperlocal thing right.

• Like 6

I'll give NewsNet an A+ for effort.  They are aiming high, even if their resources are relatively scarce (compared to the big networks).  

And I agree with @Info Junkie, it's kind of ridiculous that NewsNet can commission far better graphics than Scripps.    The NewsNet gfx seem pretty solid.  And the set is simple but looks good.

Depending on how you look at it, MI News 26 still exists, functionally speaking, although they unified the branding with NewsNet and are being branded as "NewsNet Northern Michigan".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 12:44 PM, Weeters said:

90%... probably around 99%... 

almost everything... even sports... is taken word for word from newsource... not just packages...

VOs... VOSOTS...

it's all newsource... with maybe a few words changed... 

not saying filling your show with wire packages is bad... lots of stations do that.... just not to this degree....

they must be pretty confident nobody will ever contest their inability to follow embargoes...

just saying...

Edited by Webovision
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Webovision said:

90%... probably around 99%... 

almost everything... even sports... is taken word for word from newsource... not just packages...

VOs... VOSOTS...

it's all newsource... with maybe a few words changed... 

not saying filling your show with wire packages is bad... lots of stations do that.... just not to this degree....

they must be pretty confident nobody will ever contest their inability to follow embargoes...

just saying...

But those Filipinos don't care. As long as they have access to streaming American TV news for free, they'll be happy, regardless of quality. 🤣

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Webovision said:

That is a good point. They probably are thinking stations won't even be monitoring the local NewsNet station.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

But those Filipinos don't care. As long as they have access to streaming American TV news for free, they'll be happy, regardless of quality. 🤣

The Philams in my neighborhood are all sharing ID's on the VPN's so they can watch "TV Patrol" for free...

Lumpia and TV Patrol just seem to go together around here.

Edited by Eat News
Red Velvet (Umpah Umpah) .. https://youtu.be/vHS9E6JFja8
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

MiNews 26 I mean NewsNet Northern Michigan has been reduced to a simulcast of the national channel with cut-ins at :12 & :42 every hour for local weather and :25 & :55 for local news. (Their livestream works now). High school sports now airs under the "NewsNet Sports" banner.

NewsNet is essentially a small business.  You can't expect them to produce the same caliber of content as the networks do.  I'm honestly amazed they've been able to accomplish this much.  I say they are doing as good of a job as they could.   

I would've kept more live coverage on the local "Northern Michigan" cut-ins...maybe a half-hour of national, then a half-hour of local news, then repeat.  But clearly they see more profitability in the national audience.  I'd say that's a smart move because, as a small business, you cannot spread yourself out too thin.

NewsNet deserves more credit than they are getting.  I hope they succeed.  I truly do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Journalist said:

B-but it has crash zooms!

The PTZ cameras they have (Panasonic HD130/HN130) are really not good at recalling saved shots "nicely", which is why that crash zoom at the top of the newscasts is really jarring and uncomfortable. They're designed to have their shots recalled when the camera isn't on-air. 

You can slow down the speed at which they recall the saved shots, but then it wouldn't be as dramatic and timed with the music (big groan).

They play up that new ability right at the top of the show, but I have yet to see any camera shots change outside of that, period. The sports segments ALWAYS use the wide shot with both monitors. Weather is ALWAYS showing the whole weather center. The only tight shots are at the news desk, and even those are always the same two shots coming from two different cameras.

• Like 1

Since things I bring up on here keep getting fixed:

I'm not sure if this is isolated just to the stream or what, but they've gotten into a bad habit of airing CNN packages that are being mixed wrong in their control room, and have no voiceover track (or sometimes any voices at all) once it hits the stream.

This is pretty normal in TV news, where stories will be edited so the left audio channel contains VO and the right contains "NAT" (natural) sound. These are then turned back into "stereo" in the audio console in the control room.

Pay attention to those audio meters, kiddos.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

NewsNet is carrying a white house presser LIVE, this is the first time I have ever seen NewsNet carry anything live before--they are slowing coming up in the world. 🤣    I'm watching the stream on there website.

29 minutes ago, DENDude said:

NewsNet is carrying a white house presser LIVE, this is the first time I have ever seen NewsNet carry anything live before--they are slowing coming up in the world. 🤣    I'm watching the stream on there website.

They started this last week on Wednesday.  It's just the official White House stream (I guess, despite the heavy reliance on CNN Newsource, they don't have the technology to take the Newsource feed) and Remington Hernandez provides a brief (albeit somewhat repetitive and ad-libbed) overview at the end.

They're still learning... At about 6:30PM ET, in the middle of the presser, their automation took over and it took them a good 10 or so seconds to get back to the live press conference.

In typical NewsNet fashion, these have been coming from their tiny insert studio instead of their main studio, as if their main studio is somehow unavailable or in use during these press conferences. 🙄

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, plzstandby said:

The KYUR cluster in Alaska is now "NewsNet Alaska" more news more often but only at 9 and 10

oy vey, nice graphics tho

I realize it's only for 9 and 10 newscasts but I wonder how ABC network feels about this.  Yeah, I know they probably care less, it's Alaska after all ... but would this hurt the relationship with ABC network??

-- Matt

I'm quite surprised that KYUR is choosing to go this route.  Are they're still producing the newscasts from the station, or did NewsNet take over production? 

I will say that I'm glad to hear them using much better music now.

• Like 1