The Meredith Thread

Conrad

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

A total sale would be Gray's to lose. But a partial sale would leave open different possibilities - Scripps isn't any of those markets, neither is Hearst.

Isn’t Scripps getting pretty close to the cap with the Ion stations?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, who?cares said:

Isn’t Scripps getting pretty close to the cap with the Ion stations?

That's a good point, that Ion deal sent Scripps over the cap and even after divestitures, Scripps is still very close to the cap.

23 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I don't know exactly what to make of the Standard Media group since the Waypoint deal died.

The Waypoint deal may have died but don't count out Kim. I have a feeling that he might surprise us with a bid for probably those Meredith stations on the block currently (if he were to submit a bid)

I do not believe he bids on Quincy as it's not only too steep for the pricetag that Quincy is asking for but also Quincy would be too big for what Kim should be going after.

There is some decent fits within Kim's portfolio once that ownership transfer is complete you'd have KMOV that would become a sister to KLKN and KBSI (once the deal with the latter is complete) and also WGGB/WSHM with WLNE but it would still leave WALA and WNEM isolated (so that particular status quo wouldn't change with WALA/WNEM assuming Kim won)

I should mention too that the offers for the 2nd bid are due on the week of the 18th (so it's coming up pretty soon)

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

My money is either on Gray or Byron Allen. 

Same would go with Quincy Media since they would fit nicely aside from some conflicts here and there.

I don't know exactly what to make of the Standard Media group since the Waypoint deal died.

If Gray wanted in wouldn't we also see WHNS and KCTV bandied about?

3 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

If Gray wanted in wouldn't we also see WHNS and KCTV bandied about?

The fact that not only is WHNS and KCTV not being included in the sale but also WFSB isn't included as well should tell us that while Meredith does want to sell it doesn't neccessarily think that trying to sell everything to one owner would be prudent but they probably didn't think that spinning the TV division off and then cashing out would've been prudent either.

Clearly the more I see this the more Gray is quickly becoming the biggest loser out of the ones that would be interested in acquiring Meredith (or Quincy) and most of us (including myself) thought that Gray would be the leading candidate for Meredith. But also there's been a growing thought in my mind that began at the end of last year that Meredith wasn't neccessarily thinking about selling the entire company whole and it turns out I was somewhat correct on those analysis.

18 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

The articles DO mention that the entire TV division may be sold.

Which I'm sure Meredith is considering. I do think though that Meredith would need to bump the timeline to begin the 2nd offers after the 18th, if they're serious about selling the TV group whole.

Problem is going to be they'll get limited offers by doing it this way vs trying to sell it in pieces.

13 hours ago, dman748 said:

Which I'm sure Meredith is considering. I do think though that Meredith would need to bump the timeline to begin the 2nd offers after the 18th, if they're serious about selling the TV group whole.

Problem is going to be they'll get limited offers by doing it this way vs trying to sell it in pieces.

Meredith selling in pieces is the reasoning why I believe KMOV could be bought back by VCBS, if not Scripps with WRBU going to Inyo.

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to the post made in Out & About of Marius Payton replacing the unceremoniously laid-off Tom Randles, I say 'good luck' to him. 

As expected, the effects of the abrupt firings Meredith made will continue to reverberate. For KMOV, it's in the form of lawsuits:

Former KMOV meteorologist Meghan Danahey sues station

In her suit, Danahey argues that the actions by the station and Diener have damaged her earning potential and that she also "suffered extreme emotional distress and physical harm." She is asking for a minimum of $75,000 across three separate claims of discrimination, retaliation and emotional distress.

The "actions" that the author writes are referring to the different instances Danahey mentions where her role at the station was undermined.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 12:23 PM, dman748 said:

Based on this info above, I'm afraid to say more is coming today. I hope that's not the case.

Meanwhile, Eric Parker is also among the layoffs at WFSB that took place yesterday https://www.journalinquirer.com/living/bucklers_airtime/anchor-eric-parker-included-in-channel-3-staff-cuts/article_ce059f2e-f9b4-11ea-ba31-8785cac5f9ce.html

Well, the Sunday morning public affairs debacle at WFSB post-Dennis House has reached "what's old is new levels. House's predecessor, Duby McDowell, was rehired for "Face the State" only to be let go three months later due to her PR firm winning a no-bid contract with the Lamont Administration. 

Their solution: Bring Eric Parker back to host a new show in the same timeslot. Heck, the title - "CT '21" harkens back to the title "Face the State" used for most of the 90s. The timing of this is curious as WTNH just launched "This Week in Connecticut with Dennis House" last weekend.

2 hours ago, dman748 said:

The Phoenix hub is closing up shop https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/2/15/closing-up-shop-in-phoenix

More cost cutting moves from Meredith continues

Likely necessitated by the fact that the hub was at KPHO's former facility, despite them merging into KTVK's. 

I guess that makes Atlanta the sole Master Control hub for all of the Meredith stations now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 10:51 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Likely necessitated by the fact that the hub was at KPHO's former facility, despite them merging into KTVK's. 

I guess that makes Atlanta the sole Master Control hub for all of the Meredith stations now.

Not sure why,  but a coworker who has friends that worked there mentioned them doing this last year and that it's a shame because they're losing some good, smart people that aren't going to want to move to Atlanta.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived