The Meredith Thread

Conrad

You bumped a thread that is over a month old (though I started it)...since 2013, Meredith was in talks to purchase Time Inc., but now it's happening. Now that Meredith is focusing more on their magazines, they could sell their television stations to Raycom. WALA would benefit Raycom's strong Alabama media presence, as they are based there, and Meredith shares Raycom's content. Many Meredith stations (WGCL, KPHO, KMOV, WSMV, KVVU) are O&O bait as well.

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/meredith-acquires-time-inc.16441/#post-195750

Meredith is an odd company, so odd that it would not be a surprise for me to see them keep the TV station group intact.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Supplies Squad would be more credible.

Don't give Sinclair or Nexstar any ideas....I can see it now.

They can dole out laughable upgrades like larger betacam tapes and going widescreen like the Surprise Squad pays for one's gas or groceries...or making their wishes come true!

If there's one thing I can't stand about Meredith...it's manipulative drivel like this that caters to the lowly viewer by bribing them with prizes...

Don't give Sinclair or Nexstar any ideas....I can see it now.

They can dole out laughable upgrades like larger betacam tapes ...

Are you dissing Betacam???

You should pick on MII...or 3/4 umatic if you want to bully formats.....or D9 or some ugly little SVHS....

Hummmmph!

Hey! U-matic got me through my broadcast journalism classes!!! (Granted this was the late 1980s...).

I have fond memories of lugging a portable U-matic deck to a shoot - making sure we had enough charged batteries.

When we got a BetaCam camera and deck, they were treated like gold - shoot on BetaCam, dub to 1", edit (on 1" - if it wasn't being used for an active broadcast...), then dump to U-matic for air!

This was also before we had a frame-sync and had to go to black during pledge drives to change sync sources between satellite streams...

J

Hey! U-matic got me through my broadcast journalism classes!!! (Granted this was the late 1980s...).

I have fond memories of lugging a portable U-matic deck to a shoot - making sure we had enough charged batteries.

When we got a BetaCam camera and deck, they were treated like gold - shoot on BetaCam, dub to 1", edit (on 1" - if it wasn't being used for an active broadcast...), then dump to U-matic for air!

This was also before we had a frame-sync and had to go to black during pledge drives to change sync sources between satellite streams...

J

You guys were cutting on 1"??

Lemme guess....they couldn't afford beta decks??

That's a pretty good workaround I must say.

Hope they gave you a more than 1 fresh tape reel a year to cut with.lol

In the olden days you could knock entire stations off the air just by rocking a live truck,,,and breaking the microwave path thus knocking everything in the chain out of "gen-lock".

I was a bad teenager.

• 4 weeks later...

Three Meredith stations added to the NewsOn app: WGCL in Atlanta, KPTV in Portland and WSMV in Nashville. Phoenix's KTVK/KPHO and St. Louis' KMOV joined the app last year or the year before that.

Three Meredith stations added to the NewsOn app: WGCL in Atlanta, KPTV in Portland and WSMV in Nashville. Phoenix's KTVK/KPHO and St. Louis' KMOV joined the app last year or the year before that.

...and we have three more added today: KCTV in Kansas City, WFSB in Hartford and WHNS in Greenville/Spartanburg.

It seems as if the full roster is on the NewsOn app, with the addition of WALA in Mobile/Pensacola, WNEM of the Flint Bay Reigon, Western Mass News of Springfield (currently, no morning or FOX 6 broadcasts on the app, yet.), and finally KVVU of Las Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats goes to the folks at WGCL/CBS46.

Despite the on again management changes & the passing of Amanda Davis.

Shawn Reynolds EP of the morning show who also worked at WXIA a few years back.

Said "Huge congrats to WGCL/CBS46 AM show team for tying powerhouse WSB- TV for #1 newscast at 4:30AM on 1.15.18. Excellent job, team!"

Despite a good November book I hope the momentum continues and looks like Karyn Greer another mainstay has succeeded Amanda Davis.

• 1 year later...

When Meredith didn't pounce when other groups were looking to sell off stations that should have been a sign that they didn't see TV as a core business.

3 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Who didn't see this coming a mile away? No scale.

Calling Hilton & Pat.......

They would fit into Gray like a glove with the only conflict being Flint/Saginaw.

With the talk that Apollo is interested, that puts a certain station in Atlanta on the block because there is NO WAY Terrier is letting WSB go away.  Once again, WGCL could be Gray's to get and could be their new flagship.

FTVLIVE.com is reporting on this as well too.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/5/2/meredith-looks-to-sell-its-stations

Here hoping that Graham would get all of Meredith's stations except WGCL/CBS 46 which definitely needs to be in CBS' hands and Peachtree TV (formerly WTBS 17) could be a combo with WSB-TV.

Again, the pie continues to shrink, and the ownership name continues to dissolve.

This is so sad. If there is a sale, I hope Hearst gets into the fray. 

53 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

FTVLIVE.com is reporting on this as well too.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/5/2/meredith-looks-to-sell-its-stations

Here hoping that Graham would get all of Meredith's stations except WGCL/CBS 46 which definitely needs to be in CBS' hands and Peachtree TV (formerly WTBS 17) could be a combo with WSB-TV.

Again, the pie continues to shrink, and the ownership name continues to dissolve.

WGCL needs a good shakeup, and CBS would be the ideal group for that.

18 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Gray definitely is the best fit here. However, do they have the money on hand to pull this off?

Do they have the energy given they have all of Raycom's stations to absorb?

I think this may be more Terrier or Hearst's to lose.

10 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Do they have the energy given they have all of Raycom's stations to absorb?

I think this may be more Terrier or Hearst's to lose.

I have a Speculatron thread. I agree, money and energy is the only thing keeping Gray from being an obvious frontrunner.

WGCL doesnt need a "shake up". They're ratings have risen, and they have surpassed WXIA in most time periods these days. They have the best team and product in place in years. They do need more money and resources. But CBS46 is in a good place now. 

1 minute ago, newsman123 said:

WGCL doesnt need a "shake up". They're ratings have risen, and they have surpassed WXIA in most time periods these days. They have the best team and product in place in years. They do need more money and resources. But CBS46 is in a good place now. 

Is that really a matter of WGCL no longer being a basket case or just Tegna making a royal mess of WXIA?

A little of both. WXIA has lost viewers, WGCL has picked em up and kept em. But GCL is slowly pulling from the others too, and the people and product has gotten better and is resonating. The station got a lot of sampling during the Super Bowl, and it has held. 

Chances are, if Apollo is already "in talks" with them, and the news of the sale is out, Apollo is who the stations are going to. I'd say it's extremely likely that Apollo initiated the talks themselves. We already know Apollo has approached other groups with sacks of cash. Not every sale has to include some drawn out bidding process like Tribune has had.

We are entering an interesting dilemma, where there's a decreasing number of potential buyers of stations out there. I predict that it won't be long before we see the bigger players approaching the FCC and Congress to raise or eliminate that pesky cap, in the interests of commerce and business.

Archived