Greg Kelly departing GDNY

anchorman

Figured this deserved it's own thread:

WNYW GM Lew Leone confirmed that Kelly is indeed leaving GDNY:

We want to thank Greg to his years of service. He has been an integral part of the FOX 5 team and we wish him the best of luck in the future

Tomorrow is Greg's last show. We will probably never know the truth, but it looks like this wasn't Greg's choice. A total head-scratching move.

Oh well. That's that (...again).

I wish Greg luck wherever he goes. (...again.)

The station just doesn't learn.

I will laugh my ass off when the first ratings come in. (...again.)

Yup. GDNY is the only good thing they have going for them. Why they would even tinker with it is beyond me.

The only thing is, they don't have much competition besides PIX11 in terms of local news 7-10am. PIX11 Morning News is in an even weaker position now post-Sukanya and Scott.

Yeah, its a very risky chance, personally I don't think Fox 5 and their style is the right fit for Lori's delivery. But it is TV and things just happen magically on TV right? So maybe it might be a nice turn out after all. I remembered one biggest reasons for her departure at WABC was the start time. But I guess GDNY starts at 7am so I guess she doesn't have to wake up as early haha. Either way though Greg Kelly and Rosanna were perfect for GDNY. I just can't see Lori really making that show fun like Greg did, Lori's demeanor is just too calm for what that show is. Honestly I don't think its Lori's domain. I love Lori Stokes and I think this move is setting her up for a possible failure.. :/ Guess we'll have to give her a chance and see how it plays out though.

Greg didn't announce where he's going next tho it does seem like he has a plan. Maybe Rosanne and Lori will work out. We shall see. If not I think Rosanna will be the one to leave not Lori. I got the feeling he's going to another NYC tv station since he said he couldn't say yet where he'll end up.

Some possibilities for Greg. WCBS: Perhaps Maurice DuBois is moving to the network and Greg is taking over for Maurice. WNBC: Perhaps David Ushery is leaving WNBC and Greg is taking over for him. WABC: Very unlikely tho perhaps Diana or Bill is retiring and Greg is taking over for one or the other. WPIX: Perhaps John Mueller is leaving WPIX and Greg is taking over there.

WCBS: Perhaps Maurice DuBois is moving to the network and Greg is taking over for Maurice. WNBC: Perhaps David Ushery is leaving WNBC and Greg is taking over for him. WABC: Very unlikely tho perhaps Diana or Bill is retiring and Greg is taking over for one or the other. WPIX: Perhaps John Mueller is leaving WPIX and Greg is taking over there.

Greg didn't work on evenings at WNYW. Do you seriously think he'll work on evenings elsewhere?

Only station that might actively pursue him is WB CW PIX11.

Greg didn't work on evenings at WNYW. Do you seriously think he'll work on evenings elsewhere?

Only station that might actively pursue him is WB CW PIX11.

Greg Kelly did indeed work evenings at Fox 5 for a short while it didn't last long it was while Dave Price was there for that short time:

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/greg-kelly-leaving-good-day-for-evening-anchor-gig-1.3811737

Greg Kelly did indeed work evenings at Fox 5 for a short while it didn't last long it was while Dave Price was there for that short time:

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/greg-kelly-leaving-good-day-for-evening-anchor-gig-1.3811737

I think he meant that Greg wasn't successful when he said "Greg didn't work".

Wonder if the order of events was...

1. Greg gets new gig, lets WNYW know in advance he's leaving end of September
  2. WNYW goes after Lori
  3. WABC forces her off the air as soon it learns she's accepted the competitor gig

That would be the situation where Rosanna and Lori have the best shot of getting along.

But the reverse - WNYW going after Lori, then telling Greg time to leave after she confirmed....

Hard to know which it was.

I think where Greg lands might be telling of that. I have a feeling he might end up at WPIX as an evening anchor. If GDNY doesn't work out with Lori and Rosanna we might see Lori remain at GDNY and Rosanna go back to evenings. Remember she co-anchored evenings from 1994-2008.

Wonder if the order of events was...

1. Greg gets new gig, lets WNYW know in advance he's leaving end of September
  2. WNYW goes after Lori
  3. WABC forces her off the air as soon it learns she's accepted the competitor gig

That would be the situation where Rosanna and Lori have the best shot of getting along.

But the reverse - WNYW going after Lori, then telling Greg time to leave after she confirmed....

Hard to know which it was.

Archived