The Fate of Klein& and Dolphin Productions

PanchamBro

I'm aware that many people haven't made a post about this, so I'll need to know: what happened with Klein& and Dolphin Productions exactly? They came in the 70s, barely popped up in the 80s, and didn't exist by the 90s up to today.

Did they end up bankrupt or something? Because I can't find any information on them.

TVbD and Klein& aren't really on the same spectrum. One specialized in marketing and promotion and one specialized in design.

Here's an article about Robert Klein and Klein& from 1981:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Magazines/Archive-BC-IDX/81-OCR/1981-09-14-BC-OCR-Page-0127.pdf

The article doesn't make Klein& sound very big. My guess is they couldn't really keep up and just kinda sputtered out in the middle of the 80's image campaign craze, partially thanks to Frank Gari and his campaign machine.

yeah the only "evidence" that they survived in the 80s is that they made the wtkr campaign "discover the land of the 3". we know this because they also made that same campaign for wfsb. some other evidence is make a campaign for wbir's switch to nbc:

and they also made kron's campaign "that's what a friend is 4", which doesn't exist on youtube at the moment.

dolphin productions also seemed to survived in the 80s with this:

but that's all i can find.

Until the explosion of CGI in the ‘80s with Cranston/Csuri, PDI, and others, Dolphin Productions and its West Coast counterpart Image West were the dominant electronic animation studios; their clientele’s included many local stations (WXIA and the Graham stations used Dolphin for example).

As for Klein&? I think WSB used them at one point for their “2 Steps Ahead” campaign.

Klein& was still around as late as 2004, complete with a website. [URL='http://web.archive.org/web/20040716073216fw_/http://www.kleinand.com:80/practice_bio.html']This bio[/URL] shows you a bit of what Mr. Klein and his team got up to after the bottom fell out on the likes of "We're 4". I do believe @TServo2049 might also have some relevant information on this too.

Bob Klein voluntarily closed Klein & and retired from broadcast promotion in 2007. He's now involved with the Foundation for New American Musicals, which he co-founded the same year.

As for "2 Steps Ahead", I asked Bob about that and he had no recollection about doing such a campaign, or anything for WSB. A promo with the song surfaced a couple years back, and all the live-action clips were shot on tape, while Klein & always used film. The stuff in the WSB promo looks almost like it would have been shot by the station itself, or some smaller local video production outfit. It just doesn't seem like Klein & would have only provided the music and animation. The news intro music reminds me of "10 Is", but for all we know some other producer could have just copied it (it happens).

• 3 weeks later...
Oh.

Then if that's the case, what happened with Dolphin Productions, that company behind many scanimates we see often?

I think Dolphin folded in 1985-86 (the opening to TVE's Telediario was probably one of their last works).

Oh.

Then if that's the case, what happened with Dolphin Productions, that company behind many scanimates we see often?

Scanimate quickly died off when computer animation came around. I'm not sure if any company that specialized in scanimation actually managed to transition to computer animation. They were two totally different beasts.

Archived