Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

6 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

This shows a lot of people are stupid. They want the networks/stations yet gripe when they have a huge rate increase at the beginning of the year. Shouldn't they be able to put two and two together?

It's not that infrastructure/maintenance costs increased that much. It's mainly programming costs.

TV was far more watchable when we had three main networks. Cable has diluted talent to the point where practically everything everywhere sucks.

• Like 2

Seems like it's been a minute since a cable provider has had a dispute.  It's more of a regional patchwork unlike Dish and AT&T since it varies market-by-market.

I don't think I've ever seen Xfinity get into a dispute with any local channel, then again I'm pretty sure they just do whatever the broadcaster wants and then pass the fee along to the consumer with their broadcast TV surcharge....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

P.S. technology has also aided in the decline of the TV viewing experience. Analoggives you a much better experience, and I'm not talking about analog TV signals. I'm talking about using actual film, cutting it by hand, actual stuntman instead of CGI, etc.

And let's go back to showing everything in only black and white, right? :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mre29 said:

And let's go back to showing everything in only black and white, right? :classic_rolleyes:

Yeah!

And let's bring back those casting couches...

But this time put those neato plastic covers on them like at my Grandmas house, so nobody gets V.D.

image.png.761ef927c9c68541983dc0dcc386e25c.png

Edited by Eat News
ITZY "ICY" MV .. https://youtu.be/zndvqTc4P9I
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Seems like it's been a minute since a cable provider has had a dispute.  It's more of a regional patchwork unlike Dish and AT&T since it varies market-by-market.

I don't think I've ever seen Xfinity get into a dispute with any local channel, then again I'm pretty sure they just do whatever the broadcaster wants and then pass the fee along to the consumer with their broadcast TV surcharge....

At the end of the day, I would rather have a cable provider who can have no issues with negotiating retransmission consent with content providers than someone who's reputation is to resort to tactics such as threatening to continue carrying the channels if a deal don't get done by this date at this time.

5 hours ago, mre29 said:

I specifically said everything except the signal. Of course digital signals are great. But the underlying content was much better when it was done the old-fashioned way. Film looks better than digital cameras. Editing the old-fashioned way gave you a more interesting picture on screen. Now with computer editing, everything is predictable and looks the same. 

Same deal with graphics. Some graphics are okay, but most of them look like the office secretary photoshopped them. In Arial.

4 hours ago, channel2 said:

I mean, the quality of CGI that TV shows can afford isn't exactly on the level of Avatar...

The A-Team and The Rockford Files had some pretty good car accident/chase scenes back in the day.

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

At the end of the day, I would rather have a cable provider who can have no issues with negotiating retransmission consent with content providers than someone who's reputation is to resort to tactics such as threatening to continue carrying the channels if a deal don't get done by this date at this time.

I know you misworded that, but it is correctly misworded. Fake, but accurate, as Dan Rather would say. The threat is that they keep the station on and gouge you at the bottom of your bill!!!

Cable TV is simply not worth the cost. They are killing the Golden goose. The higher these fees go, the more people cut the cord. $0.10 here, $0.10 there adds up to be real money.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:03 PM, DirtyHarry said:

TV was far more watchable when we had three main networks. Cable has diluted talent to the point where practically everything everywhere sucks.

you think TV was better when when the networks programmed under the Least Objectionable Program strategy? 

Edited by nomadcowatbk

24 minutes ago, nomadcowatbk said:

you think TV was better when when the networks programmed under Least Objectionable Program strategy? 

TV programming is too tortured for my taste. I like the old way of doing things like the original Hawaii Five-O. Hawaii Five-O's format can be summed up as follows:

1. Cute introduction where this week's guest star bad guy character actor appears.

2. Bad guy commits crime.

3. Mcgarrett chases bad guy.

4. Standoff situation with the bad guy.

5. Mcgarrett prevails and they arrest him or he ends up dead.

That's all I need from a TV program. I don't need some over-wrought acting where I have to bother with McGarrett's divorce, his dating life or his kid getting gender reassignment surgery.

Edited by DirtyHarry

6 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Regarding the Sinclair-AT&T issue, does anyone know whether the fate of the RSNs is at stake in these talks?

Furthermore, as  DIRECTV customer, I know where they can possibly place the Cubs' Marquee channel, Channel 666.

The Fox RSNs have different contracts that were negotiated by the previous owners. Any disputes involving them won't happen for a while. This will almost certainly effect talks to begin carriage of Marquee, a new network.

Meanwhile in Denver, it appears the some early season Avalanche & Nuggets games will have a ZERO rating. What makes matter worse, the Broncos are 0-4.

https://theathletic.com/1256711/2019/10/01/altitude-will-still-air-the-avs-season-opener-it-just-wont-be-on-comcast-directv-or-dish/

Edited by JCB4TV
Neatness

On 9/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, DirtyHarry said:

I know you misworded that, but it is correctly misworded. Fake, but accurate, as Dan Rather would say. The threat is that they keep the station on and gouge you at the bottom of your bill!!!

Cable TV is simply not worth the cost. They are killing the Golden goose. The higher these fees go, the more people cut the cord. $0.10 here, $0.10 there adds up to be real money.

Exactly, but of course I'm stuck with my parents that simply refuse to acknowledge that going to streaming platforms such as YouTube TV and PlutoTV is the cheaper alternative to paying close to $100 for probably half the channels if not more, that we don't even watch. (That's just a guessestimate, I'm not sure exactly how much my parents are paying for DIRECTV now but, whatever the amount is, it's pretty high)

It is what it is and there's really nothing I can do about it because obviously I'm not the boss over the house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

It is what it is and there's really nothing I can do about it because obviously I'm not the boss over the house.

I handle my own cable bill,  but the problem is the way bundling works. I watch nothing on Showtime and only a few shows on Starz a year, but Spectrum won't let me unbundle them from their package (I only got rid of the 'I never watch' Epix when they got new ownership and a new carriage agreement that stopped the bundling), even though they're premium channels that should be optional. I have channels on the higher tier I can't get on the lower tier because Viacom thinks that TV Land is a 'premium' service rather than an ad delivery platform occasionally interrupted by sitcoms, and I watch Younger because it's a favorite show. I like soccer, thus I pay $8/month for the Spanish tier because very few Tigres games are on FS1, even if I never watch the Spanish music video channel.

Equipment costs have also gone up; I'm getting rid of their useless DVRs with a TiVo/TiVo Mini system, but that comes with a learning curve with everyone else in the house despite the $25 savings. I'm preparing to move my 25 year-old landline number from Spectrum to Google Voice, but that has to come with a week of AT&T prepaid because a landline/Google Voice transfer doesn't exist. Companies make it hard to switch or move to providers on purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

landline/Google Voice transfer doesn't exist

Yup. I had to transfer to T-Mobile prepaid before I was able to get it to Google Voice. I bought the Obi202, which works seamlessly with Google Voice, and now  basically have a free landline.

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

I handle my own cable bill,  but the problem is the way bundling works. I watch nothing on Showtime and only a few shows on Starz a year, but Spectrum won't let me unbundle them from their package (I only got rid of the 'I never watch' Epix when they got new ownership and a new carriage agreement that stopped the bundling), even though they're premium channels that should be optional. I have channels on the higher tier I can't get on the lower tier because Viacom thinks that TV Land is a 'premium' service rather than an ad delivery platform occasionally interrupted by sitcoms, and I watch Younger because it's a favorite show. I like soccer, thus I pay $8/month for the Spanish tier because very few Tigres games are on FS1, even if I never watch the Spanish music video channel.

Equipment costs have also gone up; I'm getting rid of their useless DVRs with a TiVo/TiVo Mini system, but that comes with a learning curve with everyone else in the house despite the $25 savings. I'm preparing to move my 25 year-old landline number from Spectrum to Google Voice, but that has to come with a week of AT&T prepaid because a landline/Google Voice transfer doesn't exist. Companies make it hard to switch or move to providers on purpose.

See that's the problem I don't handle my own cable bill because right now I don't work. Once I can get a full time job then I might be able to afford cable and such.

But until then I have to live with what I have right now.

5 hours ago, Morphtato said:

A new long-term agreement has been reached between AT&T and Northwest Broadcasting.
image.png.641ecbd30f3b1a5b9929ffa4a320e586.png

I kinda wonder if a certain deal will be closing in the near future and this was one of the loose ends that had to be tied up. 

5 hours ago, Morphtato said:

A new long-term agreement has been reached between AT&T and Northwest Broadcasting.
image.png.641ecbd30f3b1a5b9929ffa4a320e586.png

I kinda wonder if a certain deal will be closing in the near future and this was one of the loose ends that had to be tied up. 

47 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

AT&T and Sinclair reached a new retrans deal.

I read in the article that the agreement includes the RSNs, including Marquee, which give the following questions:

Will Ohio fans get full time HD feeds of what is now FSOH & FSOH-CIN on DIRECTV?

Where will DIRECTV place Marquee, channel 664 or 666? NBCS-CHI is on 665.

How will this go over with our west coast sports fans who don't have SNLA, NBCSNW, or Pac12N?