Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
tyrannical bastard

Retransmission Consent squabbles

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

Tribune stations (KTLA, WGN America, AntennaTV) were blacked out about 2:10 PM on Spectrum Los Angeles. They're running a long pre-produced voiced anti-Tribune message. 

It was so nice of Spectrum to wait and not pull the plug on Jan 1st....when KTLA (and a crapload of other Tribune stations) run

the Rose Parade Live.

May the ghost of Hal Fishman and Stan Chambers haunt the Spectrum 1 newsroom.

Edited by Eat News
https://youtu.be/jEaZHQdWLEU

13 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Here is what Spectrum is running on the channels blacked out. (They also make it known how they really feel about WGN America)

Interesting they point out antenna and other options are available. Something that may shooting themselves in the foot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Interesting they point out antenna and other options are available. Something that may shooting themselves in the foot.

I like how they publically dump on WGN America saying "it's a channel "very few people watch". Not exactly professional even if its true. These ever increasing retransmission fees for OTA channels are pretty idiotic and a big contributor to the rising cost of cable. Ironically by doing this, broadcasting companies like Tribune are driving viewers away. That said Spectrum couldve worded this a little more professionally. 

Off topic: I like the background music even if it's a tad overdramatic. 

Edited by Mrtraveler01

18 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Too bad I can't pull in WJW with said antenna.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:47 AM, rkolsen said:

A lot of people in Cleveland are upset about WJW not being on Spectrum.  A bowling alley on the east side has resorted to putting Spectrum News 1 Ohio on one of the big screens.  Of the preferred local alternatives, many viewers seem to trust WEWS the most.  Anyway, WJW is still off even though it's now Saturday, and sports programming is on Fox now.  Some believe that it will all be resolved in two weeks.  Still, it's bad for Spectrum.  That's going to cause more people to leave cable for alternatives (streaming, over-the-air).

On 1/3/2019 at 5:59 PM, Mrtraveler01 said:

I like how they publically dump on WGN America saying "it's a channel "very few people watch". Not exactly professional even if its true. These ever increasing retransmission fees for OTA channels are pretty idiotic and a big contributor to the rising cost of cable. Ironically by doing this, broadcasting companies like Tribune are driving viewers away. That said Spectrum couldve worded this a little more professionally. 

MyNetworkTV affiliates have been dumped on much worse in these disputes; Time Warner pulled the Journal stations and pretty much said 'all their stuff is on other networks and streaming already or is awful; you are missing nothing'. When WGN America gave up for whatever Cancom drivel that's cheapest for Tribune to buy as they waited for Sinclair to take it over, it basically became a dead zone of nothing. I dumped it the moment they killed Manhattan, and their hasty cancellations really came back to bite them, since Rachel Brosnahan, one of their leads, is grabbing all the hardware for her role in Mrs. Maisel.

But to add to this, it looks like Fox played 'uhh, what firewall?' with Fox Sports Go tonight, perhaps with NFL prodding. FoxNow is currently blocked out for Spectrum customers in Tribune Fox markets for regular Fox livestreams, but I had no problem at all streaming the wild card game on my Apple TV through Fox Sports Go. Even if it hasn't worked, Fox Deportes on-screen and Westwood One on radio would've been just as as good of an experience. And I can just wait to watch Bob's Burgers for one day on Hulu. But I loathe to think what the sports bars with Spectrum must do to get a signal if they don't think ahead of time.

4 hours ago, TheRob said:

The Tribune-Spectrum blackout has ended.

Let the healing and rebuilding begin...

So who "won"?

Edited by Eat News
I won...because I own an antenna. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fXnYu5FFxU

28 minutes ago, Eat News said:

Let the healing and rebuilding begin...

So who "won"?

I won, because I bet a co-worker the blackout would end before the government shutdown would end.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, TheRob said:

I won, because I bet a co-worker the blackout would end before the government shutdown would end.

They may have taken away booze, drugs and women (the floozie types) from the newsrooms of America...

But they will NEVER take away our wagering!

PS Rob..

I lost my shirt on the shutdown, but I got a real good Scotus tip on the line with "Little Jimmy"  in Laguna Beach.

...Iet me know if you want in on the action. ( smiley winky face)

Edited by Eat News
KBEX Grab Bag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKAi5cWHYDY