Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

Nexstar would be in hot water if they tried to get a deal with Mission with DIRECTV as even know that it is a shell company Mission has to get a deal with Pay-TV on their own. Seems that smaller companies take forever to get done with DIRECTV, Dish with Mission almost a year it has been off both Sat TV. I was without Wood TV for year when Suckyvision oh I mean Cablevision in Kazoo couldn't agree with them in 97 but Cablevision always got Wood TV back on just in time for Super Bowls 28, 30 & 32. I didn't have Cablevision for Super Bowls 28 & 30 although Cablevision found a loop pole in 96 Wood TV returned after a week or 10 days.

When there wasn't a deal ever reached why it was off for a year before 2 days before Super Bowl 32 and at the time it wasn't even about retrans it was to get a local weather channel on basic cable which Cablevision refused which became WXSP in Aug of 99 as a general entertainment channel and UPN station. Wasn't until Charter bought Suckyvision in Kazoo when WXSP was in the lineup May of 2001.   

15 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

Nexstar would be in hot water if they tried to get a deal with Mission with DIRECTV as even know that it is a shell company Mission has to get a deal with Pay-TV on their own. Seems that smaller companies take forever to get done with DIRECTV, Dish with Mission almost a year it has been off both Sat TV. I was without Wood TV for year when Suckyvision oh I mean Cablevision in Kazoo couldn't agree with them in 97 but Cablevision always got Wood TV back on just in time for Super Bowls 28, 30 & 32. I didn't have Cablevision for Super Bowls 28 & 30 although Cablevision found a loop pole in 96 Wood TV returned after a week or 10 days.

When there wasn't a deal ever reached why it was off for a year before 2 days before Super Bowl 32 and at the time it wasn't even about retrans it was to get a local weather channel on basic cable which Cablevision refused which became WXSP in Aug of 99 as a general entertainment channel and UPN station. Wasn't until Charter bought Suckyvision in Kazoo when WXSP was in the lineup May of 2001.   

Does anyone know if WPIX is back on DirecTV?  I don't think it went off when the so called Mission stations did, but when the entire Nexstar group did. It seemed Nexstar was playing games here.  Hopefully now that the FCC is at full strength, they will take a look at these "sidecars" whose only purpose is to skirt ownership caps, and at the expense of viewers.  I was in RI where Nexstar controls three stations.  Only one was restored - the CBS affiliate.  The Fox and CW were still off the air (owned my Mission on paper).  

6 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

I was in RI where Nexstar controls three stations.  Only one was restored - the CBS affiliate.  The Fox and CW were still off the air (owned my Mission on paper).  

For all the criticism we throw Sinclair, at least they began to consolidate their Fox/MNTV/CW stations on their own signals so that what are now subfarm husks aren't really painful losses if the lawyer stuck doing the Vaughn or Cunningham negotiations gets a hair up there and the customer loses TBD or Dabl. Nexstar really needs to get these companies in order and on the same page, or the FCC will do it for them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

The Cox stations are still not on Dish, it’s been a year so far. dish really drags things out in their negotiations 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/18/2023 at 10:45 AM, NowBergen said:

My understanding is that the Mission “owned” stations are not included. Nexstar has more work to do before claiming “mission accomplished.”

I'm sorry, but this is "one step forward, two steps back" for Nexstar and DirecTV.  The "Mission Broadcasting owned" stations have been dark on DirecTV (satellite and stream) for almost a year now, when it's obvious that Nexstar "operates" these stations.  Nexstar is clearly double-dipping with TV providers when it comes to retransmission fees, and the FCC should really do something about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Good thing that AT&T/DirecTV got a deal done with Nexstar a couple of months ago it's no big loss losing TEGNA WZZM as you can watch ABC on WOTV in West Michigan at least.

Likewise, CBS viewers in Spokane can watch KLEW instead of KREM as DirecTV recently reupped with Sinclair.

There just needs to plain be a rule that RTC announcements are limited to commercial time and that's it. They're not on the level of EAS/NOAA warnings and non-applicable to folks who don't have these providers, and just generally interfere with watching a program.

It's absurd with cable disputes, but at least there they have the excuse of having to transmit to multiple broadcasters. There's less excuse with both a local TV station, and the ability to just not send the ticker on a certain provider if you have that direct connection to the headend, and it simply shouldn't appear for OTA viewers outside Dish disputes (because they're still in 1982 as far as signal acquisition).

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DENDude said:

So has Tegna & DirecTV reached a deal? or have they extended the current agreement, because as of 6:42PM MST KUSA & KTVD are still available.   Anyone know??

It appears as though they went dark: https://deadline.com/2023/11/directv-tegna-stations-dispute-cbs-nbc-nfl-college-football-1235646338/

The deadline was 5 p.m. PST and no deal was reached.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, HSV cheesehead said:

In retransmission consent squabbles, who is the bad guy the provider (cable, satellite, etc.) or the station group owner? Who's holding out (in this context)?

With the runaway costs of programming, much of the blame lies with the content providers (station owners).  

• Like 4

The station pulls the signal every single time even if the provider offers to keep the station on while the dispute is hashed out at the old rate, which is always refused because they don't want one day at the old rate.

The provider can present their case all they want; when Specturm pulled Tribune stations years back, they reminded viewers that they barely watched WGN America and it was a lousy value to keep for the consumer. But the appeal to emotion by the station/network (a la Dora being used to guilt readers into spamming Time Warner Cable to not pull Nickelodeon) always wins out.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AmericanErrorist said:

Paramount and Comcast quietly reached a carriage deal starting New Year's Day:

https://deadline.com/2023/12/comcast-paramount-reach-carriage-renewal-averting-blackout-1235683726/

I still don't understand how you only make a two-year deal and call it a 'multiyear' deal, especially when RTC deals are usually on a three-year cycle. The two-year cycle suggests either some acrimony from Comcast that they now prefer bi-yearly deals, and certainly panic on Paramount's side so they can keep the unseen lights on for a few of their zombie networks as long as possible.

Going by current year-end cable rankings (the one Variety article I must read at the end of the year), Nick/@ Nite went from being ranked in the lower top 10-top 20 to now #54 by average. There is no literal kid's cable market any longer outside rare events and several series, and by the time any deal for PG is finished, CBS, Paramount+ with Showtime and the library will be the only value left.

On another note, that 21% drop-off for The CW versus Ion and Me is concerning. I expected a drop, but not that hard.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 9:15 PM, mrschimpf said:

I still don't understand how you only make a two-year deal and call it a 'multiyear' deal, especially when RTC deals are usually on a three-year cycle. The two-year cycle suggests either some acrimony from Comcast that they now prefer bi-yearly deals, and certainly panic on Paramount's side so they can keep the unseen lights on for a few of their zombie networks as long as possible.

Comcast should have pushed harder for some of those zombies to be dropped, especially the ones that only show music videos. We have YouTube for that.

But, then, someone at Comcast seems to think MusicChoice is worth keeping around, so... 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not surprised that TEGNA & DirecTV reached a deal just in time for the NFL playoffs, kinda back in the day with LIN & Cablevision in the 90s Cablevision always got a deal just in time for the Super Bowl in 94, 96 & 98 although in 96 Cablevision found a loophole because Wood TV was returned within 2 weeks of it going dark. Took a whole year to get Wood TV back on Cablevision as all of 97 had to watch Wood TV on rabbit ears.