Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

4 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Poor Orlando. They haven’t had ABC for a while while now on Dish and now they don’t have NBC or CW. No WRDQ either but that’s no big loss. 

And Pittsburgh too. Dish customers now no longer have WTAE and WPXI because of retrans disputes. I'm not affected because I have an antenna, but my parents are. 

22 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Comcast/Xfinity has dropped several Imagicomm stations, and some Cox stations might be next: https://www.xfinity.com/programmingchanges/

Including WFXT. I don't remember a time when any of the major Boston stations (or WMUR) were blacked out on our system, whether or not we had Harron, Adelphia, or Comcast/Xfinity.

Aren't pretty much all of the Cox/Imagicomm stations operating under an onerous retransmission deal that Coxpollo inherited from their purchase of the former Northwest stations? (of which were all spun off to Imagicomm along with WHBQ and KOKI)

I'm surprised WSB is not affected....yet.  Atlanta is a major Xfinity cluster, but they may be special since they don't want to endanger their carriage...

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Official Disney PR.

They'll no longer carry a number of networks whose content was already on D+ and Hulu anyways, so put Freeform, FXX/FXM, Disney Junior/XD and Nat Geo Wild on deathwatch as far as other providers. In return, Spectrum customers will eventually get D+ and ESPN+ included in their subs and the ability to have an ESPN-free cable package.

Edited by mrschimpf
Someone posted while I was writing about the same.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

The bigger question is does anyone watch them at all?  Evidently viewership of Freeform is pretty low, one reason Disney agreed to letting Charter drop it.  Look for Comcast, Optimum and others, especially in the NY area, seek something similar.  

• Sad 1

The way these channels have been usurped by Disney+ and Hulu pretty much makes them obsolete.   Consumers can watch these shows without commercials, visual clutter and all of the other tom-foolery that make up your average basic cable channel.  Not to mention the programming blocks are pretty much grouped for the DVR to pick them up or (heaven forbid) someone to binge-watch in real time....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

The real question is who blinked first, Disney or Charter.

And yes, I absolutely believe Monday Night Football–on ESPN and ABC–and featuring the New York Jets–had everything to do with it.

Especially since much of NYC is served by Spectrum, so if it wasn't resolved those customers couldn't even watch it on WABC-TV if they wanted to.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

Aaron Rodgers locked the door and only unlocked it when a deal was reached LOL 😂.

Legend has it that Pete Rozelle did it a few times when he was NFL commissioner.

Maybe Aaron shared some of his magic mushrooms with the negotiators and they "saw the light". 😆

11 minutes ago, nomadcowatbk said:

wouldn't be surprised if they 700 Club got the most viewers on Freeform, and they probably aren't even the target audience

One has to wonder what the CBN braintrust is contemplating right now in their Virginia Beach bunker. Gordon Robertson will definitely have something to say about this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, MD TV said:

Especially since much of NYC is served by Spectrum, so if it wasn't resolved those customers couldn't even watch it on WABC-TV if they wanted to.

WKBW-TV is in Spectrum territory also, and they should be lucky they aren't an ABC O&O.

But this is/was all about making sure the game wasn't blacked out in Market No. 1.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megatron81 said:

Aaron Rodgers locked the door and only unlocked it when a deal was reached LOL 😂.

He locked them in his darkness retreat and told them to come out when they had a deal...or else they'd have to do Pat McAfee's show. 😉

As for the 700 Club, with Pat gone, you bet Bob Iger is pressing his son to give up the slot for less than $40 million now. With Grownish almost at its natural conclusion, the network is pretty much in winddown mode, and it's only been a question of if, not when, Disney XD is wound down either since it's down to two markets worldwide. Same with the extra FX channels, which basically telegraphs a move of Sunny back to FX sooner than later.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I was wondering when the inevitable culling of the cable channels would begin. Could this be the opening salvo?

3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

As for the 700 Club, with Pat gone, you bet Bob Iger is pressing his son to give up the slot for less than $40 million now.

It's surprisingly hard to find any mention on CBN's website of ways to watch the 700 Club on cable and broadcast TV channels; the site really only pushes CBN's own streaming service and its accompanying app. This has me thinking that only a small percentage of the show's viewing audience watches via Freeform.

(Fun fact: Doing a Google search on "Ways to watch the 700 club" produces a link to a page on what has to be an old version of CBN's website -- or, rather, the development version of an old version of the site, which is still pulling in the latest content. I think their robots.txt file needs to have a "come to Jesus" moment...)

• Sad 1