Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

6 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

Ads have already started running in affected markets with a Nexstar-owned CBS station: 

If this is the kind of 'acting' we can expect of programming on the Nexstar-era CW it's safe to say that trophy shelf builders won't be needed at Perry's golf mansion. 🤭

Most station groups have basic knowledge of what providers exist in a certain area so you don't get embarrassing situations like this ad airing on WFRV, where one Comcast system exists in the entire state of Wisconsin, or KTVI/KPLR, in Spectrum's home city. 

Comcast customers get Peacock free with local stations $5 extra, so this is becoming a problem easily solved by the consumer, and Comcast is still getting paid; they could also just presumably pipe in a distant NBC/TMD owned station the same way Time Warner did to Nexstar during a Hearst dispute and if Congress somehow whines, takes the fine as 'putting the customer first'. Same with Paramount+. And the CW is in its holiday dead period so nobody's going to care if they miss Riverdale. 

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another OTT dispute.   Hulu has dropped all of Sinclair's ABC stations...

https://cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-drops-sinclair-owned-abc-stations/

With the bad relationship between Fubo and Paramount (with certain affiliate groups dropping their CBS stations and Fubo replacing with a network feed), retrans disputes like this could be much more common, especially if station groups get their way like they do with other pay TV providers...

14 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Another OTT dispute.   Hulu has dropped all of Sinclair's ABC stations...

https://cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-drops-sinclair-owned-abc-stations/

With the bad relationship between Fubo and Paramount (with certain affiliate groups dropping their CBS stations and Fubo replacing with a network feed), retrans disputes like this could be much more common, especially if station groups get their way like they do with other pay TV providers...

They killed the golden goose and are now in the process of killing the bronze goose. I'm not paying your stinking retransmission fees. If the online providers start with that garbage, I'm dropping them too, just like I dropped the cable company. And if they figure out a way to make me pay over the air using ATSC 3.0, I can live without TV. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

If the online providers start with that garbage, I'm dropping them too, just like I dropped the cable company. And if they figure out a way to make me pay over the air using ATSC 3.0, I can live without TV. 

You consider retransmission disputes to be entirely the providers' (read: cable companies, Hulu, Fubo, etc.) fault?

10 minutes ago, mre29 said:

You consider retransmission disputes to be entirely the providers' (read: cable companies, Hulu, Fubo, etc.) fault?

I don't care who's fault it is, I care about the damage to my wallet. I dropped cable when retrain and sports fees got tacked on to the bottom of the bill to the tune of $30. My cable and internet bill was roughly $165 and that was 2 years ago. I got rid of the cable and just do internet now and I'm perfectly happy with it. In fact, at the time, the cable company was encouraging us to do this so that they didn't have to fool around with these wars with the TV providers anymore either.

• Like 1

DirecTV is suing Nexstar, along with Mission Broadcasting and White Knight Broadcasting, over the carriage dispute with the two sidecars that has been going on since last October, accusing the companies of price fixing and “engaging in an illegal conspiracy” to manipulate negotiations on retrans fee rates through Nexstar’s SSA/JSAs with the Mission and White Knight stations.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

This affects markets small and large across the United States. WPIX dropped in NYC, KTLA in Los Angeles, all networks missing in Topeka except WIBW-13. Only ABC and CBS remain in Little Rock. ABC and CW dropped in the entire state of Utah. CBS gone from the entire state of South Dakota and North Dakota (minus Fargo). And of course, WGN gone.

It shows what a scam Nexstar and Mission are.  In some areas the Mission stations were off of Dish, but now that Nexstar is off DirecTV, they are too.  Which is it?   They want their cake and eat it too.   What a scam.

• Like 1

So Direc TV is saying on their looping blackout screen on KDVR / KFCT & KWGN that Dish Network has had Nexstar stations off of their service since January 2023. Is this true? Are nexstar stations not currently on Dish Network?

Thanks...

Edited by DENDude
Fixed spelling

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

So Direc TV is saying on their looping blackout screen on KDVR / KFCT & KWGN that Dish Network has had Nexstar stations off of their service since January 2023. Is this true? Are nexstar stations not currently on Dish Network?

Thanks...

I'm thinking its the Mission stations that have been blacked out since January. If every Nexstar station was dropped, NewsNation would be dropped as well. It's still apart of Dish's lineup, the last general dispute with Nexstar and Dish was in late 2020 and was resolved in a month.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

New scuffle. Hearst stations are blacked out on Dish Network.

Because of this, in the few markets where both groups have stations, Dish customers now don’t have access to Nexstar and Hearst stations, given the provider’s ongoing dispute with Nexstar. (For example, in the Oklahoma City DMA, that means Dish customers don’t have access to programming from two major networks and one mid-major network as Nexstar owns KFOR [NBC] and KAUT [CW], and Hearst owns KOCO [ABC]. God forbid Sinclair and Griffin get into retrans disputes with Dish.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 2