Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

11 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Fox reached a last-minute deal with Altice to avoid a blackout.

However, Nexstar has yanked its signals off of Fios.

The Providence Journal has an article on how to watch the Patriots game (Nexstar owns the CBS, FOX and CW affiliates).  It is of course behind a pay wall for subscribers only.  And Gatehouse Media d/b/a Gannett wonders why folks no longer subscribe to a paper that is 90% the same in every Gannett paper.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MD TV said:

Another Nexstar-related dispute. Mission Broadcasting's stations have been pulled from DirecTV:

https://tvanswerman.com/2022/10/21/directv-loses-26-local-stations-in-fee-fight-with-mission-broadcasting/

KFQX was shut off at 4:03PM this afternoon.   I'll be curious to see how long this lasts, what's odd with KFQX is there is nothing mentioning the dropping of FOX4 at Westernslopenow.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Were the affiliates ever in question (even on  satellite DirecTV?)  

This was exclusively Fox Television Stations thankfully (also lol MyNet is a complete afterthought). Also note that FNC and Fox Business are under a different agreement, so they were never in danger.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, mrschimpf said:

This was exclusively Fox Television Stations thankfully (also lol MyNet is a complete afterthought). Also note that FNC and Fox Business are under a different agreement, so they were never in danger.

The disputed involved the entire affiliate body on DirecTV Stream, for however many people actually use that.

• Sad 1

I was surprised no date was given when the local Nexstar TV stations go dark on Comcast guessing Jan 1 12AM in my opinion. I think Nexstar has other deals with pay-TV that ends at on Dec Charter Spectrum & Mediacom I could be wrong on that will not know unless there is a scroll on the TV.

Nexstar filed a lawsuit against Comcast also Charter Spectrum in 2021 over WPIX both want the FCC to make WPIX own to Nexstar. That could be dropped when a new deal becomes final. I think that Nexstar & Comcast dispute could be a long one in my opinion. The end of 2019 was when Comcast & Nexstar signed the 3 year deal. Forgot to say WPIX in the post last night. I didn't know that Nexstar also sued Spectrum I thought that was only Comcast found out on B&C article on Comcast & Nexstar stations going dark.

Edited by Megatron81
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I was surprised no date was given when the local Nexstar TV stations go dark on Comcast guessing Jan 1 12AM in my opinion. I think Nexstar has other deals with pay-TV that ends at on Dec Charter Spectrum & Mediacom I could be wrong on that will not know unless there is a scroll on the TV.

Nexstar filed a lawsuit against Comcast in 2021 that could be dropped when a new deal becomes final. I think that Nexstar & Comcast dispute could be a long one in my opinion. The end of 2019 was when Comcast & Nexstar signed the 3 year deal.

Nexstar, oops Mission stations are still off Cox cable. It’s over a month now. 

On 12/12/2022 at 6:27 AM, NowBergen said:

Nexstar, oops Mission stations are still off Cox cable. It’s over a month now. 

Mission (and Nexstar) stations are still on Cox cable.  I can confirm WPRI and WNAC are still on Cox in RI.

But Mission Broadcasting stations are still off DirecTV (satellite and stream).

Is there some sort of loophole that Nexstar is exploiting by "directly owning" one station in a market and "Mission Broadcasting" owning a different station in the same market?  For example:

• in Providence RI Nexstar owns WPRI (CBS) and Mission owns WNAC (Fox).  WNAC airs local news at 10 PM that has the same graphics and on-air talent as WPRI.
  • in Burlington VT Nexstar owns WFFF (Fox) and Mission owns WVNY (ABC).  WFFF airs local news at 10 PM that has the same graphics and on-air talent as WVNY.
  • in Albany NY Nexstar owns WTEN (ABC) and Mission owns WXXA (Fox).  WXXA airs local news at 10 PM that has the same graphics and on-air talent as WTEN.

Currently DirecTV subs in Providence and Albany don't have their local Fox stations but still get the other station in the duopoly.  Burlington market DirecTV subs lost Fox but still have ABC.  And during the Nexstar/Verizon Fios dispute, these markets kept their Fox stations but lost WPRI or WTEN.  This seems very weird and confusing to me.

Edited by kdex86

It just keeps getting better between Nexstar and Xfinity....and even Mission is involved as well.....

https://www.cablefax.com/distribution/retrans-rumble-comcast-files-bad-faith-complaint-against-nexstar-at-fcc

And the stations are scheduled to go dark THIS WEEKEND.

I don't normally cheer for a blackout, but Nexstar has had this coming to them for a long time.  They invented this game, and if they don't play by the rules they're about to lose big time.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It just keeps getting better between Nexstar and Xfinity....and even Mission is involved as well.....

https://www.cablefax.com/distribution/retrans-rumble-comcast-files-bad-faith-complaint-against-nexstar-at-fcc

And the stations are scheduled to go dark THIS WEEKEND.

I don't normally cheer for a blackout, but Nexstar has had this coming to them for a long time.  They invented this game, and if they don't play by the rules they're about to lose big time.

Ads have already started running in affected markets with a Nexstar-owned CBS station: 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, kdex86 said:

Mission (and Nexstar) stations are still on Cox cable.  I can confirm WPRI and WNAC are still on Cox in RI.

But Mission Broadcasting stations are still off DirecTV (satellite and stream).

Is there some sort of loophole that Nexstar is exploiting by "directly owning" one station in a market and "Mission Broadcasting" owning a different station in the same market?  For example:

• in Providence RI Nexstar owns WPRI (CBS) and Mission owns WNAC (Fox).  WNAC airs local news at 10 PM that has the same graphics and on-air talent as WPRI.
  • in Burlington VT Nexstar owns WFFF (Fox) and Mission owns WVNY (ABC).  WFFF airs local news at 10 PM that has the same graphics and on-air talent as WVNY.
  • in Albany NY Nexstar owns WTEN (ABC) and Mission owns WXXA (Fox).  WXXA airs local news at 10 PM that has the same graphics and on-air talent as WTEN.

Currently DirecTV subs in Providence and Albany don't have their local Fox stations but still get the other station in the duopoly.  Burlington market DirecTV subs lost Fox but still have ABC.  And during the Nexstar/Verizon Fios dispute, these markets kept their Fox stations but lost WPRI or WTEN.  This seems very weird and confusing to me.

Hi. Are you new here? Not being condescending; legitimately asking. This Shared Services/Local Marketing Agreement structure of side-care station ownership has been an overarching theme over the last ~decade in the consolidation of station ownership, mainly with Nexstar and Sinclair as the culprits. The FCC has seemed disinclined to prevent this market manipulation, though I would have hoped the Biden Administration had taken a firm stance and unraveled these blatant violations of the ownership rule.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Ads have already started running in affected markets with a Nexstar-owned CBS station: 

Lol, this commercial is coming from WPRI in Providence.  The city of Providence itself (along with the rest of Rhode Island) is served by Cox.  Comcast only transmits WPRI in Massachusetts, and they also carry WBZ out of Boston everywhere they carry WPRI.  If this station goes dark nobody will be missing CBS programming in Massachusetts.

• Haha 1