Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

6 hours ago, MD TV said:

Without warning, Disney-owned channels were pulled from Dish/Sling in the middle of the night:

This is a big one... not the least because it's the largest provider that I've seen drop ESPN. This weekend is going to be fun...

Morgan Wick, who writes about sports media on Twitter and a blog, has a Twitter thread about this dispute: 

I think his last tweet hits the mark here:

I suspect the next few days are going to be huge in terms of determining how soon (if ever) ESPN goes fully direct to consumer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think this will be one to watch. Dish claims that Disney wants a billion dollar increase, but it's been revealed that ESPN is a must-have channel and is one of the few channels remaining that keeps people from cutting the cord. There's a lot of backlash from Dish on social media. Will Dish cave or will this dispute last for months as Dish tries to keep customer's bills low? 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

There should be some degree of transparency when these contracts are due to expire, and ample warning if an agreement has not been reached yet.

Yeah, there was no warning whatsoever in the final hours, where as other disputes it's public knowledge in the days leading up.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The DOJ, and even the FCC should force companies like Dish to some form of consent degree, where notification is required.  FCC would be involved in the case of broadcast stations, especially since ABC still has their O&Os.

Are ABC affiliates affected like they were on YouTubeTV back in December?

Only the eight O&O markets are affected as far as ABC. 

• Like 1

Dish is the worse when it comes with getting deals done I wouldn't ever go with them for that reason as I don't think they try to get deals done in my opinion. Disney doesn't need Dish as Dish needs Disney more why it didn't last that long as I thought they would get a deal done. Dish doesn't like sports fans either. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

As an Optimum customer, I can watch Fox entertainment shows on Hulu.  No biggie.  The only issue is Sunday NFL - typically the Giants, this week the Jets and the WS should the Yankees make it.  

I am curious to see how a subscriber to both Optimum and NFL+ will be affected if this happens as they do provide in-market streaming.

Edited by mrschimpf

8 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

I am curious to see how a subscriber to both Optimum and NFL+ will be affected if this happens as they do provide in-market streaming.

Since NFL+ as well as Sunday Ticket are not available on Optimum I suspect there is no impact.  

2 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Since NFL+ as well as Sunday Ticket are not available on Optimum I suspect there is no impact.  

Fox has been pretty brutal in past disputes though in cutting off Hulu and FoxNow to customers of a disputed provider (and they forced a TNF game off NFLN because of a Dish dispute), which is why I'd like to know, especially if those customers use the 7-day free trial to round it, if they force the league to pull that offer and make it TV/ST-exclusive. At least with the other companies you have a streaming alternative, but FoxNow is it for them.

41 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Fox has been pretty brutal in past disputes though in cutting off Hulu and FoxNow to customers of a disputed provider (and they forced a TNF game off NFLN because of a Dish dispute), which is why I'd like to know, especially if those customers use the 7-day free trial to round it, if they force the league to pull that offer and make it TV/ST-exclusive. At least with the other companies you have a streaming alternative, but FoxNow is it for them.

I think as streaming becomes more prevalent, the tactic of pulling content to certain providers due to disputes will happen less and less. I remember when Viacom did it to everybody during the DirecTV dispute of 2012 and only stopped when Jon Stewart criticized them.

The time in 2019 when FOX blacked out TNF on NFLN because of the Dish dispute led to them resolving rather quickly.