Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

9 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If NBC really wants to get something out of this, they should allow their paying Peacock customers free access to the channels they're taking away from YTTV.

I"m a YTTV customer, and these are key channels for why I still even pay for TV, so this one sort of hurts.

I think Google is going to cave in and eventually offer a Peacock option.

I'm just not sure that NBC will even offer that option to YTTV customers.

However, they might actually do it. You never know

19 hours ago, dman748 said:

I'm just not sure that NBC will even offer that option to YTTV customers.

However, they might actually do it. You never know

Can Comcast pull evey NBC Station off the air in the entire country? Wouldn't it effect Station owners with NBC Affiliates?  Wouldn't Station owners bring this squabble up when they go into an an retransmission agreement of their own with Comcast? 

The O&Os I understand but the affiliates are different right?  If I was Google, I would mention that. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

4 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Can Comcast pull evey NBC Station off the air in the entire country? Wouldn't it effect Station owners with NBC Affiliates?  Wouldn't Station owners bring this squabble up when they go into an an retransmission agreement of there own with Comcast? 

The O&Os I understand but the affiliates are different right?  If I was Google, I would mention that. 

Technically they are different because they are OTT broadcasters versus cable or paid TV channels. Unless Comcast wants to take over the broadcast licenses of all their OTT affiliates then it's not the same 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jero23 said:

Technically they are different because they are OTT broadcasters versus cable or paid TV channels. Unless Comcast wants to take over the broadcast licenses of all their OTT affiliates then it's not the same 

I don't see how this is even legal for Comcast to do. Doesn't Youtube TV have retransmission contracts with individual station owners (Nexstar,Sinclair,Tegna, Hearst, Scripps, Gray and others)? The only stations Comcast can legally take down from YoutubeTV are the NBC O&Os and Comcast cable owned channels.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I don't see how this is even legal for Comcast to do. Doesn't Youtube TV have retransmission contracts with individual station owners (Nexstar,Sinclair,Tegna, Hearst, Scripps, Gray and others)? The only stations Comcast can legally take down from YoutubeTV are the NBC O&Os and Comcast cable owned channels.

Retransmission agreements for virtual MVPDs are different than with traditional MVPDs. The networks negotiate carriage on behalf of the affiliates, though not all Fox affiliates are on-board with them (at least as of this 2017 article).

But it's a moot point, for now at least, as the two sides have agreed to a short-term extension.

Edited by ScottJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Retransmission agreements for virtual MVPDs are different than with traditional MVPDs. The networks negotiate carriage on behalf of the affiliates, though not all Fox affiliates are on-board with them (at least as of this 2017 article).

But it's a moot point, for now at least, as the two sides have agreed to a short-term extension.

If I was a station owner (Nexstar,Sinclair,Tegna, Hearst, Scripps, Gray and others). I would bring this situation up in retransmission talks with Comcast so something like this can never happen again. 

BTW, what is stopping ViacomCBS, Fox, and Disney from doing the same thing? You would think Comcast would have more to lose due to ViacomCBS, Fox, and Disney not owning a cable service. 

BTW, the extension only lasts till Tonight.

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

1 hour ago, AaronQ said:

I just got an email from YouTube TV saying that they reached a deal with NBCU. 

Screenshot_20211002-133204_Gmail.jpg

Happy to see that, there is still a worry that ViacomCBS, Fox, and Disney could do the same thing when their contracts run out. It makes you really think these OTT services and actually "cutting the cord". Sounds like a little bit of jealousy on the Broadcast Networks. 

14 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

About the only way I can watch Matt Amodio's run on Jeopardy.

This means that WTOL and WUPW are gone, and with the uncertainty of the Sinclair dispute, WNWO may be gone as well. So that means 3 stations with big 4 programming will be off if these companies pull their programming. This needs to end. I hope the new FCC will step in on these disputes. They probably won't though. 

22 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Tegna did indeed pull their channels right at 9:00 right off of Dish. Each side is blaming the other of course for taking channels off. Dish claims Tegna wants a billion dollars. I hope they can resolve this soon.

It is always usually the broadcaster that is at fault here but Dish has taken RSNs and other high priced channels off lately because of " low viewership". So this time I blame Dish as well. Dish still wishes they would have merged with DirecTV in 2002. 

Edited by Kenneth Kissel

2 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

It is always usually the broadcaster that is at fault here but Dish has taken RSNs and other high priced channels off lately because of " low viewership". So this time I blame Dish as well. Dish still wishes they would have merged with Directv in 2002. 

They used the low viewership excuse for the RSN'S, WGN America/Newsnation,(twice), the ViacomCBS channels, (which was settled before a blackout could happen) and the AMC Networks in 2012, (even though Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and the Walking Dead were among the most popular shows at the time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 9:35 PM, Megatron81 said:

Dish is the worse when it comes to channels going dark always seem to be in a dispute with someone. A few days ago Sinclair extended with Dish for one more week I think it is on Thur that it could end.

But they do have a point. TV stations are losing viewers fast, but want to be compensated even more every year. The NAB is ruthlessly telling their member stations to pursue that retransmission dough, even while extolling free TV options like ATSC 3.0. There's got to be a point where MSO's say "enough is enough, we're losing money."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

But they do have a point. TV stations are losing viewers fast, but want to be compensated even more every year. The NAB is ruthlessly telling their member stations to pursue that retransmission dough, even while extolling free TV options like ATSC 3.0. There's got to be a point where MSO's say "enough is enough, we're losing money."

When do certain station owners leave the NAB? I could see several doing that if the NAB continues to push higher retransmission fees and continue to lose viewers. I could even see more mergers of duopoly stations into different subchannels. Get ready to see ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, ION and MyTV stations on multiple subchannels with much lower quality. 

It looks like there are no plans for Tegna stations to return to Dish at this point.

A few weeks ago, Dish filed an FCC complaint arguing that TEGNA was not negotiating in good faith. TEGNA calls Dish's claims "Baseless".

Charlie Ergen said earlier today that the loss of TEGNA stations might be permanent, and they have a better shot of reaching a long term deal with Sinclair, as they're larger. Sinclair has agreed to several extensions since August.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 11:53 PM, CircleSeven said:

New Retrans scuffle. Its Disney and YouTube TV.

The mouse is reminding its viewers that it could lose its networks (including ABC & ESPN) before midnight Friday, if a deal is not reached.

I read an article in The Montley Fool it's more of an opinion piece than anything else but, the key takeaway I got from it is that a lot of the OTT services they're also competing with platforms like Peacock, Disney/ESPN+, Discovery+, etc and as the content gets carried over to those platforms the streamers seem to think that if people can find say, HGTV's "Home Town" on Discovery+ and it's on the live stream, what's the point in having a Live TV service when I can just go to Discovery+ and get it from there.

I think we're reaching a point where I see two things happening as we head into 2022 and beyond.

My first point is that I really don't think YouTube TV or FuboTV is going to be around for too much longer (as in maybe 2-3 years)

My Second point is until Streaming can fix the lag, the crashes and gets more into the rural areas I do think the linear model is here to stay probably with different sources of revenue with retransmission consent stuff but I do tend to think that the disputes is giving the linear model for the most part an additional lifespan of at least 5 years, maybe a bit longer than that.

All I will say is it's looking like a bad year or two ahead for both linear and streaming and it will take changes that some don't like/want before any progress can be made