Retransmission Consent squabbles

bhratbrat

13 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Bump time.  The  fines have been upheld by the FCC, with one exception.  Mercury Broadcasting's fine was dropped to $30,000 due to their "inability to pay".

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-fines-18-tv-stations-refusing-negotiate-good-faith

What a joke the FCC is. 🤦‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

Dish Network is expected to drop 112 Sinclair-owned TV stations - including the Tennis Channel - next Monday. From Cord Cutters News...

DISH Will Likely Lose 112 Channels Including Locals & Tennis Channel Next Week | Cord Cutters News

Dish's Response:

DISH Responds to Sinclair’s Threat to Remove Channels | Cord Cutters News

My grandmother will be pi$$ed, as a regular KIMA news watcher and Young & The Restless fan for decades. She has a little rabbit ear just for that purpose and thankfully Ahtanum Ridge is line-of-sight from her farmhouse.

And this isn't the only time...remember Fisher vs. Dish? 6 month blackout in 2009, cost everyone months of local programming in the Northwest. That rabbit ear was bought for that purpose!

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well it sounds like the fight to bring the Bally channels (BACK!) to Dish is going really well at this point🤣🤣🤣

https://www.nexttv.com/blogs/sinclair-rsns-focus-on-the-dish-dea

The only thing from that article I disagree with is this 

Allowing RSNs on a tier could affect future negotiations with other distributors, but some observers believe that Dish is enough of an outlier that Sinclair will be able to keep its other deals intact. 

I have serious doubts that Dish is as enough of an "outlier" as some think there are competitors like DirecTV and Comcast among others that are for good reason, keeping an eye on the Dish negotiations, failure to get this deal done will I believe, impact Sinclair's ability to negotiate with other deals

Speaking of Dish, Charlie Ergen has basically come out and said that they're “not interested in taxing our customers” so that should tell us a lot right there.

RSN's have basically become a "forced expense" on any cable/satellite customer that still has them. 

Does any service that has them NOT charge a "regional sports network" fee?

DTC may be the only option left, unless the RSN's seriously consider that the jig is up, and be open to making their expensive content a choosable option for their customers.

36 minutes ago, dman748 said:

Asking for nearly half a billion in fees

That's clearly wayyyyyyyyyy too much

This is why they're beginning to consolidate their affiliations onto one channel and are all-in on ATSC 3.0; they're beginning to get way too greedy for their own good. And I will never subscribe to Dish, but tying Bally and the Tennis Channel to CW and MyNet affiliates is a losing proposition for SBG.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dman748 said:

What's really bad if you're on Sinclair's side is this:

How do you know that's "clearly way too much?" It's impossible to make that determination without any context. How long of a time period? How does it compare to similar deals Sinclair has with other distributors? All of these quotes are just public posturing to get the public to pick a side. For all we know,  "nearly a billion in fees" may be what other distributors are paying Sinclair. If they are,  then it's clearly NOT way too much. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, dman748 said:

What's really bad if you're on Sinclair's side is this:

Which means KIMA will be gone for weeks or months. Just like KFFX vs. DirecTV two years back. Even Seahawks games were locked out of subscribers for the first month or so of the NFL season.

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA

11 hours ago, ScottJ said:

How do you know that's "clearly way too much?" It's impossible to make that determination without any context. How long of a time period? How does it compare to similar deals Sinclair has with other distributors? All of these quotes are just public posturing to get the public to pick a side. For all we know,  "nearly a billion in fees" may be what other distributors are paying Sinclair. If they are,  then it's clearly NOT way too much. 

Well let's look at their peers, Nexstar isn't commanding that much, Hearst isn't commanding that much, not one single media company that owns the local stations is commanding as much as what Sinclair wants to charge Dish. 

I'm sure Sinclair is factoring in the Bally RSNs to the what the fees would cost

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dman748 said:

Well let's look at their peers, Nexstar isn't commanding that much, Hearst isn't commanding that much, not one single media company that owns the local stations is commanding as much as what Sinclair wants to charge Dish. 

I'm sure Sinclair is factoring in the Bally RSNs to the what the fees would cost

What's your source for saying this companies aren't commanding that much? That information isn't public knowledge. Of course Sinclair is including the RSNs, that's what the dispute is about. Take those out of the ex m equation,  since they cost distributors more than local stations. Is what Sinclair is asking for the locals in line with what other companies are charging? No one knows. This is all public posturing. Again,  without any context we don't know if "nearly a billion dollars" (whatever that means)  is easy too much to ask,  including the RSNs, or not. That's my point. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ScottJ said:

What's your source for saying this companies aren't commanding that much? That information isn't public knowledge. Of course Sinclair is including the RSNs, that's what the dispute is about. Take those out of the ex m equation,  since they cost distributors more than local stations. Is what Sinclair is asking for the locals in line with what other companies are charging? No one knows. This is all public posturing. Again,  without any context we don't know if "nearly a billion dollars" (whatever that means)  is easy too much to ask,  including the RSNs, or not. That's my point. 

I disagree with the Public Posturing. Sinclair as per usual is being greedy, they're even greedier with Dish now than they were with the streammers over the RSNs.

Let's face it, without needed to show proof. Dish is essentially telling Sinclair to go pound sand with their ridiculousness. Dish isn't the only one to have had problems with Sinclair nor is this the first time Dish and Sinclair RSNs had problems (although the RSN side occured just before Sinclair could takeover the RSN assets), many of the streamers have had problems with Sinclair, which that's been well documented in this thread already, therefore I don't need to show you or anyone else "proof" of anything.

Edited by dman748
  • Like 1

If it really is that much money Sinclair is asking, I would have to actually agree with Dish for once.  And if Bally is indeed tied into this, then that's another reason why people are leaving pay tv IN DROVES.  It's too expensive, and for what's left is driven up by the cost of programming when the programmers demand MORE and MORE in each cycle. 

Technology is pretty much to the point of breaking apart the pay tv bundle for good.  Consumers can download all of the "apps" they need to watch what they want, and subscribe to smaller platforms to get most of the channels they desire.  The only hitch is when the platforms like Roku decide they don't want to cooperate with companies like Google, and for how long it took for HBOMax and Peacock to be available on Roku and Amazon.

As I mentioned before, are there any cable, satellite or pay tv providers left that still carry the RSN's, and/or do NOT force a surcharge on their customers for them being stuck in the "bundle" of channels they're most likely to get?

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If it really is that much money Sinclair is asking, I would have to actually agree with Dish for once.  And if Bally is indeed tied into this, then that's another reason why people are leaving pay tv IN DROVES.  It's too expensive, and for what's left is driven up by the cost of programming when the programmers demand MORE and MORE in each cycle. 

Technology is pretty much to the point of breaking apart the pay tv bundle for good.  Consumers can download all of the "apps" they need to watch what they want, and subscribe to smaller platforms to get most of the channels they desire.  The only hitch is when the platforms like Roku decide they don't want to cooperate with companies like Google, and for how long it took for HBOMax and Peacock to be available on Roku and Amazon.

As I mentioned before, are there any cable, satellite or pay tv providers left that still carry the RSN's, and/or do NOT force a surcharge on their customers for them being stuck in the "bundle" of channels they're most likely to get?

DirecTV and Xfinity and other cable providers are about the only providers left to carry RSN'S.

5 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

DirecTV and Xfinity and other cable providers are about the only providers left to carry RSN'S.

All the more reason for Sinclair and the others to start selling the RSNs direct to consumer. 

Let them pay for it and don't drag the cable/satellite companies (and their remaining customers) through being forced to pay for them with expensive fees.

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, jero23 said:

YouTube TV and NBC Universal are squabbling now. If it is not resolved by Thursday YouTubeTV is pulling all of their channels from the platform 

And YouTube TV will lower their price if they take off the NBCU channels.

21 hours ago, jero23 said:

YouTube TV and NBC Universal are squabbling now. If it is not resolved by Thursday YouTubeTV is pulling all of their channels from the platform 

Looks like they're pulling more than just the national NBCU channels, they're also threatening to pull local NBC affiliates from the service, per WRAL

And the disagreements from what I've seen seem to be over the Peacock streaming service.

So truth to be told I think this is a sign of the many changes people like Weeters and Myron Falwell envisions will happen to television as a whole in the coming years ahead.

6 hours ago, dman748 said:

Looks like they're pulling more than just the national NBCU channels, they're also threatening to pull local NBC affiliates from the service, per WRAL

And the disagreements from what I've seen seem to be over the Peacock streaming service.

So truth to be told I think this is a sign of the many changes people like Weeters and Myron Falwell envisions will happen to television as a whole in the coming years ahead.

If NBC really wants to get something out of this, they should allow their paying Peacock customers free access to the channels they're taking away from YTTV.

I"m a YTTV customer, and these are key channels for why I still even pay for TV, so this one sort of hurts.

I think Google is going to cave in and eventually offer a Peacock option.